1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx: Rockets will go after Durant hard in 2016

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Feb 18, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marky :)

marky :) Member

And if we lose in the first or second round of the playoffs where would that leave us? I'm not certain of all the contract details but couldn't Dragic walk after this season.

I think we made a smart move in getting Prigioni (who will help us) and not sacrificing flexibility moving forward.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol don't, I want the others to see how you totally schooled me!

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Dragic could of walked, as he is a unrestricted FA. I personally wouldn't have offered the Pels pick for Dragic either. But that IT deal I would of jumped on, out of all the points that where dealt I think Dragic was the only one who could simply walk in the off season. Jackson, Knight are restricted, MCW and Thomas are on contracts.

4. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

Agreed prigs will help us , which shows how dire of a need a playmaking pg was , a 37 year old pg will help us imagine saying that.
    Weather we lost tragic still got eliminated in the 1st , who knows, i personally think it was WCF min, but who knows

What we do know is that we would have had a 100% better chance to do something this year had we offered the NOP with kpap for ex...and no1 can deny that, as positive as u may be

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Wait til he drops negative anonymous comments in your rep.

I think it's him; same condescending, insulting know-it-all tone. Not that he's cornered the market on these traits.

6. bmd

bmd Member

The PGS guys on 790 must read this board, because one of them mentioned a rumor of the Rockets planning to go after Durant in 2016 on the radio this morning.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Nope, I don't do neg reps.

I have zero problem putting people in their place in threads.

8. Shanxter

Shanxter Member

We are not going to get Durant. I do not see it happening

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I hope Cyber doesn't get offended by this, but that's not exactly a new rumor. It's been talked about on this board for over a year now.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Clanton follows Doc Rocket on twitter, so he is somewhat plugged in.

11. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Exactly. We all know Morey goes after all the "elite" players. It would only be news if Morey decided to not go after Durant.

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I'm with you. What bothers me most about this strategy is that it ultimately becomes a closed loop. If everyone (I mean EVERYONE) continually chase after the same "star players", then a goodly number of them are doomed to fail and will inevitably start the chase process over again in pursuit of a different set of "star players". Said process continues to repeat ad nausem while the years continue to roll along. This is where Morey's strategy is a lot like that of his predecessor with a (seemingly) endless churning of the roster for the sake of churning.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Has anyone pointed out that cyberx didn't start this thread, and that it's based on a comment made elsewhere? So what's the point of starting this thing? It isn't like cyberx was the OP and made a big deal out of it. It's others who are doing that.

14. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

The question is do you want Durant on this team.

If you answer anything other than yes you are a complete idiot.

If the answer is yes then Morey going after Durant is a good thing.

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

I expect the Rockets will make equal runs at both Love and Durant in 2016, and may make a big play for Love this summer. Just an interesting "what if" scenario: what if the Cavs lose in the 2nd round to Atlanta? You could see something like the following.....

Love tells Cleveland he wants out. He will only waive his player option if they trade him, otherwise he plans to enter free agency.

Houston trades Ariza (or at least has the threat of trading him) for non-guaranteed contracts around draft night. The Rockets have the bird rights to Brewer, and McDaniels is a RFA, so the Rockets have options.

The beauty of the Rockets roster construction is that they have the ABILITY to generate max room. The Rockets have only $46.5 in guaranteed salary next year (if Ariza is traded), and can generate up to another $5 million depending on what they do with TJones, DMo, Capela, Dorsey, and Nick Johnson. Assuming the cap rises to $68 million, they have plenty of ability to sign Love and keep a few players of their own choosing. But that's not what's important.....

What's important is the threat of creating cap room, and having sufficient assets to entice Cleveland into a deal. One of Cleveland's significant problems is their lack of quality wing defenders. Lebron is pretty much it, and supposedly he has a high opinion of Ariza.

So the Rockets are sitting there with Ariza, DMo, the NOP 1st, and a few other assets that may be attractive to Cleveland or a 3rd team willing to facilitate a deal, Love wants out (and hopefully we are on "the list"), and we have the threat of creating max cap room if Cleveland rebuffs.

Not saying its going to happen, but it's nice to have that kind of flexibility.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Clanton is a member here IIRC. Don't know if he actively posts but I seem to remember a few years back he identified himself in posts.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Real question is why would Durant want to come play here? He's a DC kid. Apart from that I think he genuinely dislikes Dwight Howard.

18. aumate

aumate Member

Everyone hates Howard it seems.

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Of course I do. Do I believe he'll ACTUALLY end up on this team? Nope. All I'm saying is that Morey can make a pitch for guys like Durant while building a core group capable of contending. He had that with Parsons, Howard & Harden but got caught up in chasing after Bosh (again). The net result has been a season long roster churn to replace what was lost during the Bosh chase. Please note that I'm not referring to the players per se but rather the positions they occupied - SF, backup PG and we're still looking for a backup C. All of his moves thus far have been to stockpile "assets" to presumably make another run at a star player (Aldridge, Durant) and thereby start the cycle once again.

At some point there has to be an endgame that results in their actually doing something in the playoffs that puts them into position for going to the NBA Finals. Morey's been here for 8 years now and has become the teflon man as far as the red koolaid drinkers are concerned. He can do no wrong but he's yet to put together a team that can at least get out of the first round. Maybe this team will be that team with MVP level play from Harden and a healthy and semi-serious effort from Howard. Or maybe their flaws will catch up with them as teams can better exploit them during a playoff series. We'll just have to wait and see which is why I am reserving judgement until what I see happen in the postseason.

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Can't blame Morey for going after Hogan. Scott Hall and Kevin Nash are not getting it done alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.