1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Getting Wisdom Teeth out stinks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pete Chilcutt, Mar 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Contributing Member

At least you didn't have this dentist:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35896950/ns/health-oral_health/

Charges: Dentist used paper clips in root canals
    Grand jury indicted Michael Clair last week, Massachusetts official says

NBC News Channel
    updated 12:16 p.m. ET, Wed., March. 17, 2010

FALL RIVER, Mass. - A former Massachusetts dentist is accused of putting paper clips in patients’ mouths during root canals, then billing Medicaid for the stainless steel posts he should have used.

The state attorney general announced Tuesday that a grand jury indicted former Fall River dentist Michael Clair last week. The charges include assault and battery, larceny, submitting false claims to Medicaid, and illegally prescribing drugs.

Prosecutors say Clair was suspended by Medicaid in 2002. He allegedly hired other dentists for his clinic and filed claims under their numbers between August 2003 and June 2005. He’s also accused of illegally prescribing drugs to staffers who returned medications to him.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Paper clips are actually acceptable as TEMPORARY posts...problem here is that the dentist billed it as permanent. So, the issue isnt that he used paper clips, its that he was trying to pass it off as something else.

3. rezdawg

What kind of bleeding are you getting? Is it actual viscous blood?

The bleeding should stop within 12 hours. If you are getting continuous bleeding then you may be doing something that is dislodging the clot that builds.

You may want to contact your dentist.

4. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

I only have 2 total (bottom row). They're not done growing in yet, but I haven't decided whether to take them out once they're in.

5. rezdawg

Wow, youre a joke buddy.

You know how much money I make when I refer my patients to an oral surgeon? ZERO. This has nothing to do about me thinking about the benjamins...but it has everything to do about the long term benefits to someones health.

Why do people remove their wisdom teeth then, wise one? You would think that if they didnt cause problems, 98% of the population wouldnt have removed them at some point in time. Are people that stupid to follow a fallacy?

You think brushing teeth and using fluoride is all that you need to do? If it was that easy, then nobody would ever need to visit the dentist. What do you do if you get cavities on your wisdom teeth? Spend 1000 bucks to fill them, when you dont even need the teeth in the first place? There are many reasons to remove your wisdom teeth and no reason to keep them in place, unless you are missing other teeth.

Fact of the matter is that I make zero money off of 3rd molar extractions...I have no reason whatsoever to recommend it to my patients. Comparing me to a car salesman is idiotic.

#45 rezdawg, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  6. rezdawg

Impacted teeth are teeth that have failed to grow into their normal positions. For instance, a tooth that is still lodged into the jawbone and hasnt erupted out of your gums and into your mouth. So, once a tooth actually erupts and you can see it in the mouth, then it is no longer considered impacted...and once it gets in that position, it will never go back down, and will never be impacted again.

You dont have to remove the teeth if they are impacted...but it is wise to do so because there is a great chance that a cyst will develop around that impacted tooth...and thats something you should definitely avoid. The impacted tooth can also hit the roots of the tooth in front of it, which will cause that tooth to have resorption of roots...and when the roots start failing, then that tooth would have to be extracted as well. You need your roots if you want your teeth to stay in place.

Also, there is a thing called partial impaction...when a tooth has only erupted a little. This will cause significant gum problems, therefore, removal will prevent a constant infection and reinfection of the gum tissue. The reason the tissue gets infected is because there is an opening of the gums and you'll have food get trapped back there. The bacteria feasts on it and causes infection.

Another reason you mentioned is that there isnt room for the tooth in the jaw, and that is correct as well.

There are a list of reasons to take them out...if you want to keep them in place, that is fine if you currently have no problems, but doing surgery to remove them later will just make the recovery more challenging and complicated.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I had all four taken out today under a general anaesthesia (5 hours). I think the anaesthetist put some painkillers in the IV. It's now 10 hours or so later and I am in virtually no pain yet, although the bottom ones were apparently complicated to take out (were in a 90 degree angle and in the bone and all kinds of crap).

My face is slightly swollen, but I don't see any haematoma or anything (have been given some low-dose cortisone to help suppress swelling and have been putting ice on my cheeks).

All four wounds were closed with stitches.

I was told to brush normally. Nobody said anything about not drinking through a straw (which I just did, in fact while reading your post, lol). I actually had a tea right after surgery, a soup a few hours later and now some solid food already. I can talk pretty normally as well. Why would I not spit? There is still a tiny bit of blood coming and I want to spit it out?

My lower lip is really swollen...I think they must have really stretched it to get to the teeth or something.

So far, I am happy that I have this behind me...have been putting it off for almost 10 years.

8. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

The enduring memory I have of getting my wisdom teeth pulled is the awesome drugs I was on afterward. I was feelin' good that whole day after.

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

3 of mine grew out in my late teens/early 20's and i left them in. but by my late 20's i started getting debilitating tooth-aches, bleeding and finally an abscess. since they were all grown in my dentist just pulled them out. i guess in that respect letting them grow worked out as well as it could have. i would think a tooth pulling is much less painful then having an oral surgeon actually cutting into your f***ing jaw! YEEOUCH!!!

i remember i was bedridden for 4 or 5 days afterwards. got pretty sick actually...pain pills and the occasional house-call from doobie houser M.D. made it a little easier though.

one is still in there and x-rays show it impacted. its been like that for years and never bothered me so im leaving it in.

10. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

No one in my family removed their wisdom teeth & I never had problems, but then someone convinced me that it can still potentially cause issues later in life, so I got them removed. It was painless. Of course I had anesthesia, but I had no problems at all, except some bleeding. I'm surprised so many of yall had complications. I thought those were the exception.

I was then upset about it for about a year, because I had gotten so used to chewing with my wisdom teeth (I guess thats not normal?) that I would continue to chew food there & cut my gum all the time with chips or anything sharp. :mad: But I don't do that anymore :grin:

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I need to have one taken out. Will probably do during spring break :(

12. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I had mine done with no anesthesia, just a dentist yanking on them with pliers. Unfortunately, he was only able to get one out cleanly, and gave up on a second after yanking on it for like 30min.

Went to a oral surgeon, did local anesthesia and had to listen to him drill my impacted ones.

Not sure all the fuss is with general anesthesia. Most people seem shocked that I didn't opt for it.

13. rezdawg

A blood clot forms in place of where the tooth used to be. Anything that creates pressure within the oral cavity can dislodge this clot, resulting in dry socket, which is something that nobody wants to deal with.

I tell my patients that if they need to spit something out, let it ooze out. Do not forcefully spit it out. I also tell them not to brush their teeth until the next day. The first 24 hours are the most critical, followed by the 24 hours after that. After 72 hours, the risk of dry socket is pretty much reduced to zero...but those first 3 days are critical.

Having said that, since you had sutures placed, then that should hold everything in place, so your risk is minimal.

14. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I waited far too long to get my 3 wisdom teeth pulled with the lower left one being impacted and it caused serious damage to the tooth in front of it. Which resulted in the most seriously debilitating pain I have ever had, like constant pain that would require 3-4 Tylenol per every 4-6 hours to deal with it. After the bad tooth was extracted I felt instant relief and the oral surgeon commenting that he could see why I was in such extreme pain after seeing the tooth.

15. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I want to get Invisalign in the future, but I have 2 bottom wisdom teeth that are impacted. No pain yet, but before getting something like Invisalign, I'll have to get it removed. Not particularly looking forward to it.

But I'm sure it'll be a relief when everything is fixed.

16. rezdawg

If you want, you can send me your panoramic xray in the future and I can tell you if it's necessary to get your wisdom teeth out before Invisalign.

It's probably good to get your wisdom teeth out at some point, but it doesnt necessarily mean you have to have extractions before starting Invisalign. It varies from case to case.

17. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

For those of you that have had it done, can you advise on the cost and whether or not you have dental insurance?

I actually just had an appointment this morning with an oral surgeon since my dentist has been telling me for over a year that I should get my wisdom teeth out (the bottom right one has started to surface and there's a small area in between the wisdom tooth and my regular tooth that she says can trap food and cause decay). The other 3 are impacted.

With insurance and anesthesia they are saying it will cost me $1,450 (and that's also assuming the insurance company covers the anesthesia which the lady at the front desk said they will determine after the surgery after seeing the x-rays and report).

I feel like $1,450 with insurance is expensive, but not sure.

Thanks in advance to those of you that respond.

18. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Got all mine taken out a week ago.

My experience I got from the freaking surgery

1. The IV anesthesia didn't knock me out fully. I was awake, watching, and listening to them rip my teeth out
    2. Have severe lockjaw and can't open my mouth past index finger height.
    3. Breath stinks
    4. Left side of my face is paralyzed/numb even a week after surgery
    5. One of the wounds got infected because I was resisting amoxicillian
    6. Only one cheek is swollen and so I look incredibly lopsided
    7. Pain meds made me feel sick, nauseous, and sapped energy
    8. Had to miss a week of class
    9. Missed several job interviews - had to be postponed
    10. Missed my intramural basket ball game
    11. Getting sick and tired of chicken soup
    12. Teeth still hurt like hell

19. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Sounds like my experience. The antibiotics they gave me weren't strong enough, so one of the wounds got infected and I was in constant pain for about a week.

Only positive was the doctor recommended I take Vicodin pretty consistently because of the pain :grin:

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Wow, listening to you guys' experiences makes me feel like I was really lucky about how it went for me. Getting stitches out today.