1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Donatas Motiejunas for Goran Dragic?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 13, 2015.

?

Would you trade Donatas Motiejunas for Goran Dragic?

1. YES

277 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. NO

720 vote(s)
    72.2%
  1. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I use Mike James as an example because tons of posters here wanted him. No he didn't achieve what Dragic did. But he had a monster season in Toronto and everybody thought he was a very good PG, something like Lowry's level now. He never lived up to that expectation.

Do you think Dragic is better than Lowry because Lowry never made the 3rd all-NBA team?

Dragic broke out in Houston. After he was traded back to Phoenix, he had a mediocre season as the full-time starter. Then he "broke out" again last season. Now he played with two other good PGs and is having an okay season. Like I said, I'd give him some slack for this season. But the fact is, he only played on the 3rd all-NBA level only once. If you want to say that it quaifies to rate him as that, then we can agree to disagree.

For the record, I think Dragic is a very good PG and want to get him. But I wouldn't rank him as elite until he has shown that he can play on that level consistently every season.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Past performance doesn't indicate future performance, just a couple of years ago DHoward was the most dominant player in the L aside from Lebron, he was putting up 20-20s on a consistent basis. Now where is he? Smack dab on the bench.

I don't like Dragic for the simple reason that at 29 this will be his last major payday, and he is expecting the max and will likely get the max from LA. We've seen from Lebron, DH etc. 29-30 yrs old are pretty much when athletic players start declining, and it often comes without any prior warning for example Lebron just came from a video-game level run in the playoffs and Dwight was basically old Dwight before he got his major injury.

This is the problem with most people on the board that want Dragic, they remember the amazing stuff Dragic did in Houston and forget that that was years ago, for players that are explosively athletic like Dragic they can be a ticking time bomb and can go off destroy themselves with an injury right when nobody expects it.

For DMO on the other hand, we don't know his ceiling yet but even if he doesn't improve 1 bit he is already really, really good and this is the worst scenario, considering his age and lack of experience I don't see why he can't get better, and unlike Dragic who relies on athletecism DMO barely gets off the floor so I think he will have a long career.

Like what DD said, you can go after Dragic but you make DMO untouchable, simple as that. The Pelly pick is projected 12-20, I have no idea why people think keeping that over DMO who people will consider as a top 10 prospect if they knew he would be this good is better.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I don't think DMO is untouchable. I'd move him if we for sure could resign Dragic long term. At some point, you have to give somethign to get something.

5. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

We give up TJones instead.

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Absolutely not. Jones or Paps, yes. D-Mo, no.

7. jedicro

jedicro Member

Yup. I love D-Mo, but we absolutley need a secondary playmaker to take pressure off Harden and run the offense when he sits. Jones and Smith can give us most of what D-Mo gives us, and we won't win without Howard anyways so his injury doesn't even factor to me.

8. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

Remember how unthinkable it was to trade Chandler Parsons? I think I am in the 95th percentile when it comes to excitement when seeing a DMO post up, but we have to do what makes us a contender.

9. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

Were better of keeping our pick and getting him from FA

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

For Boogie Cousins? Yes.

for Dragic? No!

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

How? We trade for him now, we get his Bird rights.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The question is... do we need an upgrade at PG. And, the question is, what is the improvement possible replacing Pat with what we have already have, what is the improvement we get replacing Pat with Dragic, and what is the drop in performance replacing DMo with Jones.

I don't see any improvement replacing Pat with what we have. So we need to deal for a PG.

And, IMO getting Dragic provides much greater improvement at PG than we lose going from DMo to Jones (and this coming from a Donuts fan and not a Jones fan). Especially when you can also use Smith and Pap for some of that.

Who knows what next year brings... we need to make the move now.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

PHO won't make that move for Jones and/or Pap. Nor will UTA if the thought is a three way.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

The Rox are already a contender with a healthy Dwight and Harden, if Dwight isn't healthy losing DMo and adding Dragic makes us less of a contender. \

Why is everyone fixating on Dragic when he will likely command the max? This is reminding me of Parsons all over again, overpaying for someone is just not worth it, IMHO even just Jarret Jack+Mason Plumlee for Pelly pick and Tjones already puts over the top.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Anyone else think that someone from the Rockets put a bug in Clutch's ear to get a quick poll and see what the fanbase thought?

More than likely it seems like D-Mo is really the linchpin that either Morey thought the negotiation would come down to, or he's the piece that the Suns have been saying for awhile they wont do the deal without his involvement.

I don't think Morey will include D-Mo (any good gambler has to call this as an obvious bluff), but he has to at least think about it, and see what the immediate reaction would be. No where else can he get a pure fanbase opinion poll that on CF coming from the man who runs the show himself.

Just saying.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

They probably won't accept a package around TJones, he's still a huge question mark after his injury.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

From today:
    Sounds like DMo and NOLA pick will land him. I wonder if TJones and NOLA Pick or DMo and our own pick will land him.

DMo and our own pick?? Hmmm....I might pull the trigger on that, and we keep our pick. But DMo could easily surpass anything that Dragic provides, but Dragic makes us better today, for sure. Tough call.

18. J Hard

J Hard Member

In a Lithuaninan second

19. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

I don't think Morey (or any other GM in any sport) polls the fans before making personnel decisions, no.

However, I do agree that he should call Phoenix's bluff here. No D-Mo in the deal.

20. Panda23

Panda23 Member

i honestly have no idea