1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will the Rockets acquire between today and Thurs Feb 19?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rogower, Feb 8, 2015.

?

Who will the Rockets trade for between now and Thurs Feb 19?

Poll closed Feb 18, 2015.
  1. Goran Dragic

34.6%
  2. Ty Lawson

14.1%
  3. Darren Collison

1.2%
  4. Michael Carter-Williams

4.1%
  5. Reggie Jackson

3.0%
  6. Jared Dudley

0.4%
  7. Lance Stephenson

0.2%
  8. Pablo Prigioni

1.1%
  9. Somebody not listed here

25.8%
  10. Nobody, the Rockets will stand pat

15.5%
  1. baubo

baubo Member

You have to know the days of Doc Rocket to appreciate this style of posting.

2. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

A lot of Suns and Goran terminology here.

1 person likes this.
  3. Nils

Nils Member

I know not who you speak of...This Doc Rocket!! All kidding aside...please enlighten me about this guy...it's an interesting topic. Thanks.

4. today

today Contributing Member

Thanks for bolding all that stuff, I missed most of it the first go-round.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Most people with insider information don't call themselves insiders. And most inside info doesn't pan out anyway. There are a couple of "insider trolls", sure, and there are a lot of "anti-insider trolls".

So glad the trade deadline is approaching, whatever the result.

6. rogower

rogower Member

I wish I had listed Isaiah Thomas as one of the options, as he is the type of player who Houston is looking for. Extremely good bang for your buck, too. Phoenix may wind up trading him instead of Dragic, and I think they will regret that move.

Whoever winds up giving Dragic $80+ mil is going to regret it. He turns 29 in a few months. When you are 29 years old, your best years are behind you. Good ballplayer but not a good investment. Isaiah Thomas, however, great investment.

If Houston trades Jason Terry's expiring contract and the Pelicans pick for Thomas, many Rockets fans will whine, but not me, that is a nice trade. Pretty unlikely that whoever gets drafted with that pick will be more productive during the 2015-16, 2016-17, and 2017-18 seasons than Thomas. Although if you can get a very comparable player in Darren Collison and hold on to the Pelicans pick in the process, this is the ideal move.

7. Ns575

Ns575 Member

the Thunder already made the mistake of giving us a 3rd banana guard and look who he turned out to be.
    Theres no way they're giving us reggie jackson

8. jogo

jogo Member

Isaiah Thomas +TJ Warren

for

Jason Terry+Alexy Shved+pick?

Phx asks too much for Dragic so we settle for IT. Get to keep Dmo.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think they get the Dragic deal done without giving up DMo. I think it costs us Capella and our Pels pick.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He's an ole school member...a cluchcity city original insider. Has been feeding the BBS some cryptic Intel for 15 years.

11. MaTTU

MaTTU New Member

Despite the fact that I really want Dragic, I feel like its likely that we could go for a package deal with Collison and Thompson out of Sacramento.

12. rogower

rogower Member

Here is what appears to be happening:

1) Suns are making a last ditch effort to come to terms on an extension with Dragic

2) Dragic knows he will get something like four years, $80 mil from the Lakers and maybe other teams

3) Suns have Dragic's Larry Bird rights and can offer him five years, not four

4) Dragic wants five years, $100 mil from Phoenix although I suspect he would settle for five years, $90 mil

5) Suns do not want to pay him this much money. Suns are offering something very similar to what they re-signed Eric Bledsoe for, which was five years, $70 mil

6) The parties will likely not get past this impasse which means a trade is imminent

7) Dragic will get traded to a team dumb enough to meet his contract demands

8) Houston is not a dumb team

9) There are plenty of dumb teams

I think Sacramento is the dumb team that springs for Dragic. Which makes Darren Collison expendable, for an irrationally discounted price. And this is why I am still projecting a trade for Collison. If Dragic gets traded to a different dumb team, then I think Houston trades for either Ty Lawson or Pablo Prigioni.

Dragic is a gross overpay at five years, $90-$100 mil, and Daryl Morey doesn't do gross overpays.

13. basketballholic

Morey will overpay when he knows he's got a championship roster.

14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Honestly this. At some point you have to go all in and tie up the cap. Morey tried earlier this year with the Bosh/Parsons tandem but of course it didn't work. If you can get Dragic for Jones, NOP Pick and Papa then your core is set.

Dragic/Bev/Cannan
    Harden/Terry
    Ariza/Brewer
    Dmo/Smith
    Howard/Dorsey

That's about as good as you are going to get roster wise short of signing Amare/O'neal/Okafor/Sanders to replace Dorsey. Outside of Golden State this is the most talented roster in the league.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This cracked me up...

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

When deciding what Dragic's value is , you have to factor in where a team is at in the building phases.

To a team like the Lakers , he's NOT worth that huge contract and would tie them down in the future even with the expected cap increases.

To a team like the Rockets he IS worth considerably more being the final piece to a championship puzzle because of his ability to play both on and off the ball.

There aren't a whole lot of players like Dragic and he's the only one of such quality available & you aren't going to draft a rookie @ ~13-14 or sign a free agent for the cap space they have in the coming offseason that is as good or better.

One championship within the timeframe of his next contract and its all justified.

Then again , when it comes time to compensate PHX , they have to realize that no other contender needs a point guard .... and the bottom dwellers aren't buyers. There isn't any competition for the Rockets to bid against.

17. rogower

rogower Member

Sacramento is bidding for Dragic, also for Ty Lawson. Sacramento is a team that is overly aggressive, reckless, actually, under this new ownership group.

You guys might be right. I still say Daryl Morey is not wanting to give a 29-year-old guard $90-$100 mil. Ty Lawson makes more sense and is locked in through the 2016-17 at a reasonable price, i.e., for way less than Dragic is about to get paid. Same deal with Darren Collison.

Consider the possibility that Daryl Morey wants Denver to think he is going after Dragic so as to drive down the asking price for Lawson. Also consider that Morey would also like to see Dragic get traded to Sacramento so he can swoop in and get Collison for next to nothing.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Dragic and K-Mart

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Its o tell what the hell Sacramento is going to do but if they do up the ante for Dragic you have to walk away at a certain price.

I don't see Lawson being moved .... but I think he's the next guy you make an offer for.
    If you don't walk away with Dragic or Lawson , maybe you can get Collison for those two 2nd rounders .... and that's not a bad consolation prize.

20. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

Hope the brothers reference wasn't including the Morris twins...

What if the Suns are trying to package a Morris with Dragic or IT, so that we have to include DMo? :eek: