1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think he can commit to them either, which is why I think he gets moved. He'd be a fool to limit his options just like you said, but Phoenix needs a guarantee before they flip guys they have under contract.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The strangest thing about the "meeting" is that guarantees are basically worthless under the current CBA. Players don't have an incentive to sign extensions anymore, so "promises" aren't binding. Dwight Howard surely intended on resigning with the Lakers after his August 2012 trade, but things change. With Dragic, if they miss the playoffs and his role stays the same or even weakens some, can you really feel confident that he'd stay no matter what?

The entire concept of the meeting is so bizarre to me. This isn't a free-agency courtship. This is your player under contract. You see him every day. He knows what you have to offer and you know what he has to offer. Is it a fit? Shouldn't be that hard to figure out. Almost feels like the Suns are going through a dog-and-pony show with their fans to say "we tried!" before trading their current franchise player. Basically, to put the blame on the side of Goran and his agent.

1 person likes this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I want to believe...I want to believe!!!

4. basketballholic

LOL.

He can assure them he's leaving and signing elsewhere if they don't give him more than the 4-year 4.5% max deal that another team can give him and restore him to his role as the dominant playmaker or at least as Bledsoe's equal playmaker in the backcourt and get all his minutes at the 1 and 2 instead of running down the sidelines playing small forward (one of the stupidest things ever).

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Exactly what I'm saying. He can tell them he wants to resign there, but that's meaningless. If the Suns keep him, miss the playoffs anyway, and don't sign or draft any stud front court player this offseason, the only way he re-ups with Phoenix is if they offer him a max deal like Miami did with Bosh. And assuming the Suns are willing to commit that much money to a player like Dragic(I have my doubts, BTW), even that's not a guarantee he'll stick around.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

cool....check back on this thread tomorrow

7. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

My opinion is you got to be kidding me if you don't think it's significant that IT & his wife just closed on a house, got the keys, and posted on social media today. Dragic is getting moved, not IT. That's my feel on it.

8. gregas

gregas Member

IT is 5'9, so she must be really tiny.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

He probably also doesn't want to be benched for an entire second half in an important game for arguing a foul call with a ref. Make sure that is in writing. :p

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

RE: "we tried."

Good point!

11. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Do you even female bro? The average female height is 5'3-5'4.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Good point.

It also gives the appearance that management won't dump him for any deal.

13. basketballholic

Bill Duffy is Goran's agent. Here's his client list:

http://hoopshype.com/agents/bill_duffy.htm

I'm wondering if we might flip Ariza for Goran and then sign Tayshaun after the Celtics buy him out. He is shooting close to 50% on the 3-ball this year and although he's slow on the break, his incredible length still makes him a PITA on the defensive end. Ariza may fetch us a low-end first rounder from a team like Toronto or possibly even Portland looking for wing help. Or possibly TO gives us Hayes' carcass and Ross and we can entice PHX with Ross and a big like Capela for Goran and Zoran.

Just thinking in electrons here.

14. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Codman, I love your posts but man, I don't want to put on my Se7en detective hat just to find out Jordan Hill is coming back. I trust the codes mean bigger and better things.

15. akeemshook

akeemshook Member

The Dragic meeting is very Dwightmaresque. Maybe they're hoping to throw some Skittles to him so he'll opt in.

16. vator

vator Contributing Member

This is exactly what I was thinking. Goran is a fan favorite. This is a PR move. They have to give the appearance that they did everything that they could possibly do to resign him and be able to point the finger at the Dragon wanting too much money, etc.

We'll know by tomorrow how likely a trade is because PHX will have a better understanding about how much it will take to sign him to a new deal. This is a final effort to make things right with Goran or they will trade him instead of risk losing him for nothing.

Didn't Presti do this with Harden and tell him they would trade him if he didn't agree to terms?

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

So it's either DMo for Dragic or Lawson and the hit to the cap McGee for likely the NOP pick, Jones and a lot of spare parts.

I'll take Lawson and keep DMo please.

18. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I don't trust Prince at his old age to run, get out on break, play passing lanes, and play good defense on players like Durant in the playoffs. I trust Ariza to do all of those things and try to contain Durant like players in playoffs. At Prince's old age, I doubt it.

19. basketballholic

Don't know if that is accurate. Because Goran's trade value could become greatly diminished if PHX and everybody else knows that they have to move him by Thursday or lose him this summer for nothing. PHX is in a position to really be hurt by this meeting.

(PHX should have dealt him at the beginning of the season when Morey was talking deal with them then.)

20. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

I keep seeing Arizas name thrown out there in trade rumors and just can't grasp why anyone thinks he should be traded....He is our Only Elite perimeter defender Period!! we can not let him go unless someone who has his basketball iq and defensive prowess comes back in a trade....he covers so many defensive errors and its shocking to me no1 can see how vital he is to this team....Goran or lawson plzzzzzzzz!!!!!! take any of shaved, kpap, terry, no1, cannon, and Maybe jones...lets get this donee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.