1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SNL 40 reunion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Feb 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. VanityHalfBlack

Where was Rob Schnieder?

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

and yes, the Celebrity Jeopardy skit was hilarious. I can't believe I forgot that one.

It's a French expression! LE t*** NOW!

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The show was the best. "Jaws, you b*stard" was the peak-est peak.

The Californians, Taylor Swift in particular was the worst.

Kanye was representative of the shows history of cutting edge music. Elvis Costello and The Replacements mess come to mind.

Steve Martin said at the top of the show, they wouldn't have time for everyone so, they just cut them out. It gave Lorne free range to cut whomever he wanted and include even obscure cast members he wanted. It's his show and you get a good one doing what he wants.

40 years? shiat, I watched the first one live... with my wife.

4. VanityHalfBlack

Rob Schneider, dammit!!!!

5. New Jack

New Jack Member

I got a pretty good chuckle out of them including Jon Lovitz in the In Memorium segment.
    <iframe src="https://vine.co/v/OPlplnBeTAa/embed/simple" width="480" height="480" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I guess they had to choose between either copy-machine guy, or David Spade's rude airline attendant. I think the show would have been just fine without either.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Sandler not only there but have a big role... IIRC, he was fired rather abruptly from the show indicating there was some wrong-doing on his part.

Its just nice to see a true television institution not only still going on but not afraid to honor the past... very rare that there will be another entity that lasts this long in this social media age.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I was also rolling at Garth's "Saturday Night Dead" line (that's the headline for every article every year that pronounces the show as "done").

Reminds me of every SNL thread here where every 5 years, there's somebody complaining that the "new" cast is not as good as the "old" one (when the exact same thing has been said about every cast/era that follows the old one).

8. VanityHalfBlack

It is simply remarkable, American television institution at its finest. American pop culture or just comedy in general, it rules so hard!!!

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

One more thing.... can't believe I'm saying this but Miley Cyrus actually did a pretty damn good cover of Paul Simon's "50 ways" (and he was in the building and performed well later).

10. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

With Steve God/Gadd on drums?? :confused:

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

There has never been a bad Celebrity Jeopardy skit. Always have me rolling.

She really did.

12. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Some highlights for me ( I missed the first 20-30 minutes):
    Nick the Lounge Singer- Love theme from Jaws
    Lovitz in the memorium (My wife said, I didn't know he was dead??)
    Garrett Morris interpretation for the deaf.
    Wayne and Garth Killed
    Carvey choppin' Broccoli
    Sandler and Samberg
    and the generous use of D!ck in a Box is never a bad thing.

I too thought Miley Cyrus wasn't terrible, which was very unexpected.

Californians was bad; Kanye was meh

Seinfeld Q&A was also good.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Good to see Norm and great that they included one of his OJ jokes - didn't that have something to do with why he was fired before?

14. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

My favorite cast member of ALL TIME:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mEoCoVRk_Zc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

She's bat **** crazy and is regarded as the worst cast member ever.

16. VanityHalfBlack

Man, it's hard to pick a favorite but I'll play along and go with:

[​IMG]

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Who was the older, long-haired girl in "The Californians" skit that I think was sitting next to Taylor's character toward the end of the skit? I assume she was a former cast member but I didn't recognize her and any time she did her lines the audience seemed completely quiet....like they did with Taylor Swift's character.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Larraine Newman

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Agreed on all points. I usually liked The Californians but that was not a good run at it.

Loved seeing Bass-O-Matic (and then the blender failing).

And it's a good thing Victoria Jackson wasn't involved. That could have been a train wreck.

The only other disappointing thing was the Eddie Murphy part. Chris Rock did a great and touching tribute. Then to have Eddie come out and do essentially nothing was just weird. Why not at least show a quick burst of his skits? I would never expect him to perform one live again but it just seemed strange to have him standing there accepting applause and then just cutting to commercial.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Miley Cyrus was the best musical act. Paul McCartney's voice seemed shot and it's clear that he and Paul Simon aren't the singers they were. Kanye's performance was visually interesting but even accepting the Autotune there seemed to be something off occasionally when he would hit some notes.

Anyone know who was the female singer who hid her face? It sounded like Lauren Hill?