1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Howard, Edema, anyone with medical knowledge?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by knucklehead3321, Feb 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. knucklehead3321

Again, thanks for treating this post seriously. Some of the stuff I was reading was downright scary, and difficult to understand. Hopefully this treatment works, I really thought this was gonna be our year to go deep, if not win it all. I'm a die hard rockets fan since early nineties, but it is just a game... and someones health is far more important than ball.

2. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Totally necessary. There atleast 3 other threads about this + Google.

3. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

he has irritable bowel syndrome?

4. knucklehead3321

Ok admin....lock it then, quit bumping it, if it bothers you so bad. I will not reply to anthing else you post in this thread. Just let it go.

5. callmened

callmened Member

hey folks,

I'm an actual physician here in manhattan, NY. Edema simply means fluid. The real question is what kind of fluid becuase that then determines the treatment. Most likely, Dwight's knee swelling is the result of wear and tear/grinding. This creates "garbage" and which leads to fluid buildup or edema. Most players simply rest and it will go away in a week or two (body simply reabsorbs it). If it lasts longer than that, the next option stick a needle in there and suck it out. Wear compression stockings so it doesnt return. If that doesnt work then you get surgery (debridement surgery) to remove the garbage. You'd be surprised how many athletes get this done all the time during the offseason. Lastly, if that doesnt work then you get new knees (aka knee replacements).

Now from what i understand, dwight is involved with some stem cell treatment. Long story short (and its a very long and complicated and not 100% understood process), that simply means creating the cells that kills off the bad cells that create this fluid ("cytokines" and other imflammatory processes). I cant really comment on that though.

Long and short is: the is the result of a 6-10 270lbs basketball athlete running up and down hardwood floors for ten years. It will NOT get better. Folks here are very familiar with this type of injury. we call it the "Amare stoudamire"

6. callmened

callmened Member

1. dwight has been called alot of things but i doubt hes a hepatitis C cirrhotic playing professional basketball. in that case the fluid is in the abdomen (because cirrhotics dont have the necessary albumin protein to keep the fluid inside the cells).

2. edema from the congestive heart failure occurs when the heart is too weak to pump forward so it starts leaking backward. the fluid usually accumulates from toe to head (shins -->lungs-->neck veins). treatment involves diuretics aka "water pills" to pee out the fluid. or if its really that bad you get a Pacemaker/defibrillator which literally make the heart SQUEEZE in a synchronized fashion to help it pump forward. Of course there are meds to help with this. again, dwight does NOT have this

3. nephrotic syndrome - a kidney disease where you body simply cannot keep protein. see folks protein (specifically albumin) is responsible for keeping fluid inside the cells. if you dont have protein your gonna start leaking fluids (edema) all over your body. this also occurs with severe malnutrition/startvation

bone marrow aspirate sounds like a fancy term but its simply the bone marrow "junk" that is responsible for making stem cells. Stem cells can be made into ANY cell in the body. the proposed mechanism is that their determined function is based on where they are located. so therefore, the assumption is if you put stem cells in the knee - they will grow to be brand new knee cells instead of a brand new brain or heart. still new stuff - we'll see. dude just needs to rest and get that knee drained if possible (and lose weight if possible)

hmmm that's all i can think of for now at 648am in the morning. hope that helps