1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Donatas Motiejunas for Goran Dragic?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 13, 2015.

?

Would you trade Donatas Motiejunas for Goran Dragic?

1. YES

277 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. NO

720 vote(s)
    72.2%
  1. Jontro

Jontro Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. ArtV

ArtV Member

Dragic can not only help lengthen Harden's career, but he can stop those awful gaps when Harden is on the bench. 2 things DMo can't do. While trading DMo puts more urgency in getting a backup big, we'd have the parts for another trade and we badly need that anyway because a Dorsey/DMo combo isn't going to bring it home.

3. jump shooter

jump shooter Member

Agree. You make the trade for Dragic and don't look back, the time is now.

4. Aleron

Aleron Member

Why would an opposing GM think he can sweat Morey into giving up 125c on the dollar? Has that happened in the last 8 years? even once?

5. crash5179

crash5179 Member

I'm with you. I make all my polls public because there are posters here whose opinion I value. It was a difficult choice but like you I voted yes.

Dragic is elite in many categories including his ability to drive and finish at the rim. Outside of James, we just don't have that with anyone else on the team.

6. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

If you trade Moti, then what are you going to do if Howard can not come as a health player?

7. crash5179

crash5179 Member

what are the Rockets going to do if they get into the play-offs as is? Every time Harden goes out of the game the team gives up a 12 to 18 point lead.

When D12 comes back, at least with Gogi, you would have another guy who can continue to run the offense when James is out and an extra player that can truly close out basketball games.

I'm a big DMo fan and think he is still improving but I just think if push came to shove then I'm going with Gogi.

8. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

If they want DMo then we keep our NO pick. Simple as that, both of those is too much for a player on an expiring deal.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

They could be making other teams sweat.

Cuban would probably give up Parsons if that contract wasn't untradeable

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

What are you gonna do when Harden is out? Hopefully nothing, because Dwight will be there to pick up the slack.

I like how the pro-Dragic camp always assume Dwight will be 100% healthy when we lose D-Mo, the reality is when it comes to actually winning a basketball game, Dmo>Dragic simple as that. If we have a healthy Dwight then a frontcourt of Dwight and DMo easily beats a backcourt with Dragic. There are lots of scorers we can get in the offseason who won't cost the max to retain, let's go after those guys instead of losing a piece in DMo and still ponying up big time for Dragic.

The Rox can't afford their current roster if you're gonna pay 3 players the max, you lose out on a lot of the mid level talent including Kostas, Ariza, Brewer and JSmith, even Pat Bev will be eligible for more than rookie salary after this season. I don't like the chances of Dragic, Harden, (injured) Dwight and a bunch of vet mins to win the west next year.

11. aball1991

aball1991 Member

I don't think there is any homerism in voting "no". Mostly because it's been proven in this league that finding skilled two way bigs is much much harder than finding guards. I understand we want to win this season, but with Howard potentially being out or at the very least somewhat limited, is that realistic?

I am confident that if you give morey the offseason, we could find a competent PG at half the price that s current dragon trade would command. That player may or may not be Goran Dragic, but I am sure the need will be filed. No need to be impulsive and over spend when we don't have a need to do that at this moment.

Remember when we didn't have Howard and Dmo was supposed to be our future? I hope Howard comes back healthy, but if not, why trade away a very solid young two way big man player? Dragic + Harden + Ersan aren't taking us to the promise land any quicker than Harden + Bev + Dmo would

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Member

Very astute Crash in the "closing out games" part, with the combination of Dragic and Harden handling the ball at the end of the game with that combination is deadly, pick your poison. Beverly IMO becomes a much much better player coming off the bench with Brewer and Smith. Losing DMO would suck but look at what the team gains and how dramatically better they would be in the playoffs. Assuming like now that everyone is halfway healthy.

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

You can find another guard who has less skill than Gogi, the team would still be fine. But it is just very difficult to find a big man like Moti if Howard is not going to be health. Also, Gogi is 29, he demands lots of money, he can leave too if you do not give his money. Moti is 24, still in the rookie contract. No way to give up Moti if we do not know if Howard will be health, just give up TJ, the pick from NO, and others.

14. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

The only reasons I would hesitate are:

1) Age Difference
    2) Unknown of DMo's Ceiling
    3) Unknown of Dwight's Health

Personal preference is to make a minor PG upgrade (Watson-level), let TJ get healthy and showcase the remainder of the season, and look to flip TJ/Pellies pick to move up in draft for a Caulie-Stein or Turner type of talent that can, hopefully, significantly reduce Dwight's minutes.

Flipping DMo for Dragic would make us serious title contenders for the next 2 seasons, but keeping DMo COULD lengthen our window.

15. cml750

cml750 Member

So at this time 180 people would make our front court much weaker to improve our backcourt. I just don't understand that. I would offer TJones and the NO first and that is it. If the Suns don't go for that then we can sign Dragic after the season. Skilled 7 footers are very hard to find, skilled guards are much easier to come by.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

NOOOOO way, neither TJones or Dmo....Capella - sure, Johnson - sure, Canaan - sure.....NO pick - sure.

DD

17. baller4life315

Under normal circumstances, is D-Mo worth sacrificing to get a player like Dragic? Yes.

....but these aren't normal circumstances. Phoenix already has two PG's under contract long-term. Their GM has publicly acknowledged what everybody already knows: their roster is unbalanced. The idea of them retaining Dragic would only be a continuation of that unbalance.

Between that and the likelihood of them getting outbid by other suitors (namely the Lakers), all signs seem to be pointing towards Phoenix eventually taking the best offer for him. Luckily for us, we can probably get away with not making D-Mo available for trade purposes.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Member

Where do you get your information? The Rockets most certainly can afford their current roster.... even if they pay Goran the Max to retain him. This is not even up for debate.

You ask what are we going to do when Harden is out? Play Goran Dragic of course. Dwight does absolutely Zero to help the offense when Harden is out. Goran would be a godsend.

19. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

If Morey can pull off Dragic 2 Houston without sacrificing Dmo and Jones I wouldn't be surprised. Not only is Morey a genius analytically he is a world class manipulator.

20. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

When McDonough asks for Dmo or Jones, Morey will simply say "These aren't the droids you are looking for."