1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did John Boehner Just Commit Treason?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Jan 24, 2015.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I have to believe Netanyahu knows American politics well enough to understand the proposition from the outset. It seems much more likely to me that Netanyahu is buckling under pressure to not do it and is looking for an excuse to change his mind.

2. bongman

bongman Member

hmmm interesting take. A person leading a country surrounded by enemies both inside and outside of their country, always in constant threat for the last 50 yrs would somehow buckle under pressure?

Always nice to redirect the blame :)

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Netty realized that his little end around backfired and solidified Democratic support behind the president weakening his position vis-à-vis Iran sanctions.

4. JuanValdez

If you prefer, we can say he re-assessed the cost/benefit and determined it was no longer in his best interest. In any case, I have enough respect for Netanyahu that I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here and assume he isn't so completely gullible.

5. bongman

bongman Member

I dont care either way. It just funny that nowhere in your statement that Boehner can be faulted - its always the other guy. LOL

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

7. JuanValdez

I'm really not trying to defend Boehner here. While I've been dismissive of the treason charges in this thread, I do still think he's a punk and I think his invitation to Netanyahu is inappropriate and unseemly. I also think Netanyahu is a dick for accepting (and for persecuting Palestinians, but that's another thread). But, I just don't believe this story that Boehner somehow managed to trick Netanyahu into speaking before Congress. It smacks of damage control.

8. mc mark

Roll on clown show!

Hill staff say empty Democratic seats at Netanyahu's speech will be filled by Republican staffers to ensure good visuals, standing ovations

— @dylanotes

House GOP to fill empty seats with staffers to ensure 'standing ovations' for Netanyahu speech

The standing ovations bit is a nice touch, since it implies the Republican chair warmers will be instructed specifically to applaud wildly at whatever the visiting foreign leader says. Again, it all makes for a curious bit of theater; Netanyahu and the Republicans want to sabotage negotiations between the sitting American president and Iran, a move that required working behind the White House's back in the first place. Now that complications have arisen, the Republicans are working to ensure the visual appearance of support for this act of minor sedition by attaching a Potemkin audience—by God, this foreign leader will receive standing ovations for his dispute with our president.

9. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Negotiations with Iran? Are you serious? Iran has been a problem since 19freaking79, but somehow Obama is going to get them to sit down and seriously give up their nuclear program?

Certainly you don't really believe that.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Obama is a train wreck on foreign policy.

Netanyahu is the elected leader of the only true ally in the Middle East (except maybe Jordan), and he is treating him like an enemy, while acting as Erdogan's puppet in condemning something as a "hate crime" that most probably wasn't even one. Obama also missed out on participating in the joint showing of heads of state after the Paris terrorist attacks.

11. mc mark

18 U.S. Code § 953 - Private correspondence with foreign governments:

"Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both."

12. mc mark

And then we find this out this morning.

Report: Netanyahu may have leaked US secrets to hurt Iran negotiations

- US officials believe that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has authorized his government to release secret details of the US nuclear negotiations with Iran to the Israeli press, according to Washington Post columnist David Ignatius.

- The alleged leaks would appear designed to undermine the negotiations, which Israel opposes.

- In response, according to Ignatius, the US has decided to "reduce the exchange of sensitive information about the Iran talks" with Israel.

the full article

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Aren't the majority of jews in the US liberal?

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Why do leftists like mc mark hate Israel so much?

15. mc mark

Sad little man no one hates Israel.

Surely you would agree members of your own government should put the country's interests before others.

Or did that stop when a democrat was elected?

#95 mc mark, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No one? Not even glynch and Exiled?

17. mc mark

I would hazard to say they don't hold a candle to your hatred for Muslims.

But that's just a guess

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Very glad to see that Republican staffers will replace the democrats' seats. That completely takes away their intended result -- a room with empty seats. Love it. You just got outfoxed, liberals.

(nevermind the absolutely shameful treatment of one of our greatest allies, Israel)

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

And a wrong one. I have no hatred for Muslims.

Apparently, you have never read any of Exiled's posts...

Or it is just where you stand.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

actions speak louder than words...