1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Who will the Rockets acquire between today and Thurs Feb 19?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rogower, Feb 8, 2015.

?

Who will the Rockets trade for between now and Thurs Feb 19?

Poll closed Feb 18, 2015.
  1. Goran Dragic

34.6%
  2. Ty Lawson

14.1%
  3. Darren Collison

1.2%
  4. Michael Carter-Williams

4.1%
  5. Reggie Jackson

3.0%
  6. Jared Dudley

0.4%
  7. Lance Stephenson

0.2%
  8. Pablo Prigioni

1.1%
  9. Somebody not listed here

25.8%
  10. Nobody, the Rockets will stand pat

15.5%
  1. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

I like MCW a lot. I have him on my fantasy team, so I sorta keep up w/ him.

Would be a good fit and we could probably trade-r*** philly for him.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Once again, guys, we're a terrible turnover team. MCW turns it over at an ungodly rate. McConaughey can spend the rest of his life looking for the right wormhole - there's no universe where adding MCW can make this team better.

3. basketballholic

If Morey were actually considering MCW, you know he'd be prioritizing a guy like Tyler Ennis over MCW, don't you? Ennis is a much better shooter, has great length to defend the perimeter, is athletic, a great distributor, and he's a rookie, which means 3 more seasons on his deal before RFA instead of 2 more like MCW.

So you can bet if Morey were to consider MCW, that he'd make a play for a guy like Tyler Ennis, and would give up more for Ennis than he would MCW. Morey WILL NOT trade the Pels pick or DMo or any substantial asset for 2 more seasons of MCW to see if MCW develops a jumper and cuts down the turnovers. He might send out a player like Jones and a second rounder but not the Pels pick and I suspect not even a first rounder for MCW.

4. Nils

Nils Member

That works!

5. Nils

Nils Member

I like how you speak for Morey, and what he'll do...you have no idea how he feels about either player...maybe MCW turns it over so much is because he has the highest usage of any player in the NBA! Harden turns it over almost as much as MCW does. On a better team, w better players and a better coach might change things some. It matters...Josh Smith was a turnover machine and a terrible shooter from 3 w Det...things have improved here...your environment makes a difference. MCW wouldn't have the same usage rate, which means his TOs would drop(probably). He's worth a flier...he's better than Bev, which is the whole point of a change.

6. basketballholic

Yes, he's better than Bev and he fits the premise of what Morey wants out there. That being a tall, rangy, athletic point that D's up at the point of attack and can distribute. (I do have a pretty good idea of what Morey wants at the point.) I never said Morey wouldn't like MCW. I said Morey would target a guy like Ennis before MCW. However, I can see Morey trading for MCW. And perhaps he'd give up a little more than what I assumed in the previous post.

I'm definitely not against acquiring MCW. I'm pretty sure he'd be a difference-maker here and his defense is very tantalizing. He was drafted at 11. I'd definitely prioritize him above Reggie Jackson, Brandon Knight, and Ty Lawson.

But if we're looking this direction....you've got to consider Tyler Ennis as a possibility also and a priority over MCW because of his shooting ability combined with his defensive potential and the fact that he's got 3 more years on his rookie deal instead of 2. And frankly....I'm pretty positive Morey is way more interested in Ennis and by extension MCW (and also another second year guy in Denis Schroder) than he is Reggie Jackson, Brandon Knight, and Ty Lawson.

#126 basketballholic, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  7. Nils

Nils Member

Ennis does have potential, but here are a couple of issues....one) he can't crack the 10th man of PHX's rotation....a PG heavy rotation-that worries me that he's either not good, or uncoachable...I wonder why he doesn't play at all. Even his time in the D League hasn't been outstanding. I think that he might be nice piece of a Dragic trade, but he's not the answer for this year. MCW is much taller than Ennis(4 inches), and plays better defense...but he does shoot better than MCW...Hell, you and I probably do too, at this point. I don't see MCW being asked to shoot a lot...I see him driving, dishing, playing great D, and occasionally shooting a 3( like Josh). This could help to get us over the top...a creative drive and dish guy, with our shooters around the perimeter....makes me drool with excitement.

8. frontline94

frontline94 Member

does no one think shved can fit with some time to adjust to this time? I mean the guy's height alone is something to be optimistic about

---
    no comparison to someone like dragic, but still a consideration

9. Nils

Nils Member

Sorry for jumping down your throat in the previous post...I'm in a mood. As far as Denis Schroeder is concerned...I doubt Atl would trade anyone this year...they're prob gonna keep that core together. No reason to mess that machine up. MCW could be had without giving up DMO...which is a big deal in this pursuit. He's too integral with Howard out...had DH stayed healthy, DMO might be available. I'd prefer that we trade for someone like MCW, Collison, Calderon, or any other PG that doesn't require messing with our 10 man rotation. That's what I'd like to see...granted, if we were to get Dragic, Lawson, or Deron Williams, then we'd have to do what we have to do.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Not really. Put Schved on the floor and watch the lead drop into an abyss. Dude's completely lost.

11. Nils

Nils Member

He's ok...not a very good shooter, but can score and dish a little. I don't think that DM ever had plans for Shved when he traded for him.

12. basketballholic

I'm not reading anything into Ennis not playing for PHX. They just signed IT. They've got to play him. They just re-signed Bledsoe. THey've got to play him. And Goran is a FA that they've got to attempt to keep happy (or trade him) so they've got to play him. Contrary to what many people believe, NBA teams are not open tryouts and the top guys always play. They've got to consider their futures and trades and free agent signings, not just who outplays who in training camp.

Obviously PHX was thinking about these things when they drafted Ennis. They didn't know if they could keep Bledsoe. They didn't have IT signed at the time. And Goran was going into his last season. So, I don't read anything into Ennis not playing for them.

Yes, MCW is taller. But they have matching wingspans. Ennis has very long arms. And wingspan comes into play more than pure height when you're talking about passing lanes, deflections, and steals. MCW does have standing reach and maximum vertical on Ennis which means he should be a better finisher and shot-blocker but we don't have enough data to establish those things. I suspect he's a better shot-blocker and obviously more experienced defender but Ennis is a far more polished shooter and more efficient scorer than MCW is even despite Ennis' lack of experience.

I like both guys. Would be happy with either one of these guys over Reggie Jackson, Brandon Knight, or Ty Lawson. Because they also give you cap flexibility for free agency both this summer and in 2016.

13. basketballholic

Calderon isn't a fit. Doesn't defend and he's owed 2 more years after this one at a substantial salary.

Collison is a better fit. But he's also owed 2 more seasons and he's another midget point.

Morey wants stout defense at the 1 and on the wing around Harden so he can water down the efficiency of the majority of the opponents main offensive thrust. Most of our competitors generate their offense from the point.

On another note:

A trifecta of MCW, Ariza, and Brewer defending against the splash brothers while Harden and Green work each other could be very interesting.

14. Nils

Nils Member

MCW is my choice...but I wouldn't be surprised to see Calderon as a plan B if DM strikes out with his top targets. He can always trade Calderon next year.

15. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Harden is such a good playmaker....if we cannot get a real upgrade at point why not a good two like Aaron afflalo?

16. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve thought that Dragic made the most sense because I assumed that Morey was trying to avoid adding contracts that last beyond this year. But if the point is to keep cap space open to improve the roster in the offseason, wouldn’t it make sense to check in on the price of Ty Lawson since he would probably be as good as anyone available to sign in the offseason, anyway?

After seeing that Lawson may be available and the Pistons having interest in him, what package could the Pistons offer that would make sense and what could the Rockets put together that would be comparable?

17. rogower

rogower Member

This "We want cap space" thing is a myth and always has been. Teams do not want "cap space.". They want what is known as " cap flexibility." This means that everybody on the roster is an asset, everybody has value. Everybody can be easily moved, in the event that you need to create cap space. Ty Lawson, at his price, is an asset, if you ever need to move him, there will be no shortage of takers. Same with Darren Collison, he is a major bargain at his price.

Goran Dragic will be extremely difficult to move before the ink dries after signing an extension this summer. He will get paid a ton, at least $80 mil, all guaranteed. This is why I no longer believe that Houston is a serious suitor for Dragic, and why I think Morey is gunning for Ty Lawson or Darren Collison instead.

18. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Isaiah Thomas is probably the guy. Morey will keep the NOP pick.

19. malakas

malakas Member

I don't know enough about Ennis but him not cracking the rotation when there is a 1 mil veteran pg ahead of him means nothing.

MCW imo will be a bad fit next to Harden because he can't shoot at all. You will have to take the ball a lot from Harden. He is definitely available though. I think in draft night its the most likely scenario because it depends on Phillie's pick and who they draft. If they get Mudiay or another pg then I don't see MCW staying. Hinkie will try to cash in his ROY but he's not someone to be taken advantage of. On the contrary. He will ask for more than a first round pick. I have no idea who will bite.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is an above average passer, but when you double team him or force him to go his right hand, then it's harder for him to score. Having another playmaker/scorer can make a difference, and ease the pressure on him. James can't guard quicker 1's either, apart from the occasional shot block or steal.