1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time for josh smith to start?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Feb 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Because we don't have any other big ?? until jones is in game shape atleast.

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it was necessarily Smith himself playing better defense on Aldridge, it was the team as a whole, we were doubling him which is something we never did in last year's playoffs (or at least not a lot).

3. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Didn't bill say on the broadcast a couple games ago that it was Josh that asked to come off bench. I think it's working just fine.

4. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

no Josh wants to come off the bench, he requested it and he dominates against the other teams bench

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Keep Dorsey starting for now to keep some of our bigs out of foul trouble.

DD

6. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Josh should start with Dmo when Dwight is out, however, Dmo should start when Dwight plays. Joey Dorsey is flat out horrible, he's barely 6'8" and can't score on the offensive end. Let him play against the 2nd string PF/C.

7. Zergling

Zergling Member

Agreed. I was totally against starting Josh earlier in the season but that was because we had Dwight at C and DMO didn't deserve a demotion to the bench.

8. Normalus

Normalus Member

He's our Ginobili. He's the best while off the bench.

9. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

I think when he is coming off the bench he has a better and more humble approach to the game.

10. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

THIS!!!!!

T_Man

11. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

NO!!!!

Josh Smith is showing how great he is playing transition ball

The 2nd unit is all about the transition ball

you would be an absolute moron to take him off the bench and put him in the starting lineup

12. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

In thinking about this question, don't forget the play of Joey Dorsey. Last night, he played the best defense on LMA of anyone...in fact while I was watching I never saw LMA score on Joey. He showed the strength to not allow LMA to back it down, back it down.

"Hot garbage" Joey, as some on here called him, provides some much needed cushion to the foul prone other bigs left on our team.

Also, TJones isn't playing like he was pre-injury.

We probably have some rough sleding ahead until D12 returns...but for now I think Coach McHale is wise to continue to start Joey.

13. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

I'm not completely against the idea. Slide DMo over to C and start JSmith at PF. I think this is a better interior defensive lineup and a better offensive lineup. You'd just have to make sure that JSmith isn't one of the main offensive options in this lineup. Then bring Brewer off the bench first, move Smith to C and run small ball.

Line up would look like this.

Starting Lineup

Dmo
    Smith
    Ariza
    Harden
    Bev

2nd Unit

Smith
    Ariza/Jones
    Brewer/Ariza
    Harden
    Terry

JSmith makes BIG contributions on defense when he's out there. ESPECIALLY when paired with Brewer and Ariza. While DH12 is out I think it would be worth a shot trying the line up. In fact anytime this team makes comebacks in games its usually a lineup with Harden/Brewer or Ariza/Smith, right?

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

But it is broke. Dorsey is broke.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Trade for Tarik Black.

16. basketballholic

Legit point being given here. There was one big defender who was totally outclassed defensively. I'm not picking on him. It's just fact. We would have been better off to only play Dorsey, DMo, and Smith at the big spots and fill in the rest of the big minutes with smalls or extra wings.

Did anybody else notice Portland's main difference making lineup? Two point guards (DL and CJM), a wing (WM) and 2 big bigs (LA, RL, ML, CK)

17. Lando

Lando Member

No, keep letting J smooth do his thing off the bench. He's coming into his own role nicely imo

18. tr3yzle

tr3yzle Member

Based on how well he's played that would be the obvious decision. However he has aged and seems to really fit in nicely with the second unit and has accepted this role because it was his idea. Keep in mind DMo didn't play 1 meaningful minute last season in the playoffs, so Smith off the bench is a great asset moving forward when Dwight comes back.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Start Dmo at the 5 and Smith at the 4. That might just work SF3ISBACK

20. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Yes, that was a scary effective line-up. Batum was playing terrible and that line-up really gave the Rockets match-up problems....which eventually was the difference in the game.