1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets' true answer at PG upgrade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dash, Jan 26, 2015.

1. lakersuck

lakersuck Member

Thing is the Bucks will be willing and able to pay him. Phoenix might not. The Bucks are actually successful now after being horrible for so long. They might even make the playoffs and that is a big thing. Without Knight there playoff hopes are as good as gone. Denver on the other hand is horrible and it's about time for them to rebuild. All three are long shots at this point though but I think Knight may be the most impossible of the group.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I agree completely. It just boggles my mind that the folks over the "Paging Cyberx" thread are so desperate to trade that Pelles pick for anyone their friends have heard of in the league over 32. That might be the last chance in the Harden era the Rockets have for acquiring a real young talent... even though its tough to get one of those players at 13 or 14.

I really hope that the team doesn't overreact to the impending transition the team will need to make with the Dwight Howard years. I think he's still got years left where he can be the best rim protector in the league, but they wont be able to rely on him as you would with a normal superstar center. They need to keep building young talent around Harden for this next upcoming chapter of his career with the Rockets. Giving up picks and all your young players now for veterans like Wilson Chandler, and Kevin Garnet, etc. with so many question marks with Dwight is a bad move IMO.

3. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

milwaukee is winning please explain why are they giving up on their starting pg who is playing well and doesn't have unreasonable contract?

4. XxTCNxX

XxTCNxX Member

I think we should just stick with what we have. Morey even said were fine.. Let's give the rest of the season to see how pat does and then point fingers

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Word is they like and want to keep and extend a lot of their young guys, but due to the financial realities brought on by the salary cap / being in a small market they aren't able to keep all of them. And Knight will be the odd man out.

I'm not saying that's necessarily true because it's all just rumors, but the logic is more or less sound.

6. malakas

malakas Member

Knight's best role is either completely off the ball or as super 6th man. But Middletton (revelation of the year but noone pays much attention to the bucks ) is also a SG who is a much better fit. Knight is looking for 13-14 per year and Middleton at 10. You can't pay both these guys to play the same role all that money no matter how big the cap is esp when you got nothing at pg and only Henson at center.

-- if Knight is named an ASG replacement of Wade then he gonna get his money tomorrow and stay with the Bucks coz they hadn't have an all star in 11 years. :eek: Go Korver!

The problem is that this one draft is not very deep. Especially after the top10 it goes downhill. But for sure it's stupid to be wasted on one year rental of Garnett lol
    Rockets are a contender NOW. The race to the championship for the first time in years is wide open. By the time your rookie center or pg is ready to contribute any kind of meaningful minutes without commiting 10 turnovers Dwight will be too old the window will be closed and there may be a new super best friends ready to dominate. I think that Morey sees this. He also sees that NO refuses to go away and is hanging on the PO race.
    A championship is worth more than a unknown pick.

-- if Knight is named a replacement of Wade in the ASG

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Lets trade our garbage for their best player. Sounds like a plan.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

My only point was to point out that sustainability is going to be key for this team. They need to keep building. Not sacrificing the future to pay for a shot at the table this year (with such a loaded West that gives you low odds regardless at the table). KG was used more or less as an example of the veterans folks here like to suggest. I speculate that its more or less about known commodities that they can tell their friends about so KG is a good example of that type of player.

Trading for someone like a Brandon Knight or Middleton who the Rockets can keep long term and grow with is exactly the type of move I think they should make IF they are lucky enough to get a deal like that (reminiscent of the Harden trade) that falls in their lap.

I just think those moves are very, very unlikely, and with the Bucks situation you speak of, I find it very illogical if I AM RUNNING the Bucks. However I'm not, and GM's (especially coach/GM's) make dumb moves all the time. If you really are hearing that Knight is available by all accounts, yes I think the Pelles pick should be in play if that's what it takes.

If you can't get a guy like a BKnight that is a young player that can grow with the team in the next 4 to 6 years during Harden's prime, than I would much rather keep adding young talent in other ways... like the draft.

Hope that explains my position a little bit better if it was confusing before.

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I know sometimes it can be very beneficial to take a few steps backwards In order to move forward. But I'm finding it hard to believe Milwaukee would give up their rising young star. But hey I've seen crazier moves before, so anything is possible.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Because *WE* want them too

Rocket River

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

I'd give it to Korver or Oladipo before Knight.

12. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

contenders r us ? lol

13. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

only if we throw in moochie 2

14. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

First of all Middleton is a Small Forward. That was fluke game, he is not a point forward what so ever. He's averaging about 1 assist per game for the season.

Second, the Bucks are in the playoffs race. They have no reason to trade Knight.

15. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Ariza is simply too important for the team defensively. He's had a better impact on our overall defense than anyone not named Dwight.

16. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Brandon Knight is a really good player. So good that we won't get him. If the Bucks trade away Knight, they'll be seen as one of the stupidest FOs in the league.
    Lawson would be great, but the Nuggets will most likely build AROUND him and Faried. They won't get rid of Lawson, because he still has 2 years on his contract I believe.
    Dragic is the only one that COULD be traded, there's a crowded backcourt and he's an expiring contract. HOWEVER, PHX is in the playoff hunt right now, and they won't give up Dragic until it becomes clear that OKC will overtake them. At this point in the season, that seems far from a certainty.

I'm not sure who's available out on the market right now, but I think the only PG we actually have a chance to get is Deron. As long as we don't blow up our team to get him, then I'm fine with it.