1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Detroit game was a win...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Feb 1, 2015.

1. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

why are we so devastated with this loss, it was a back to back road loss, chill people

2. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Kinda harsh HP. frankly, I thought by saying the Detroit game revealed this, it was fairly clear it came from the game. My point was that it's something that should be a focus going forward. For the record, I'm not high or low on McHale.

My own opinion is that we need an identity and structure, and this attack dog lineup of harden Ariza and brewer is it.

3. Rileydog

I've watch almost all the games this year and don't recall the harden Ariza and brewer lineup at all. But again, I'm not criticizing Mchale. Maybe others are.

4. mockster

mockster Member

Dmo good for offense smith good for defensive and stents of good offensive play when he's feeling it.

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Really?

Didn't we use it last game as well?
    I'm certain we have used it, and a quick check of the floor time units shows there are multiple lineups featuring all of Ariza, Harden, and Brewer.

6. Rileydog

Is that with harden as PG though, as I'm specifically referring to that, as opposed to a PG, harden, Ariza, brewer and a big.

7. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Nice post. McHale absolutely deserves credit for his creative lineups and he has all year or we're at the bottom of the standings with our injuries. And it works because he's a players' coach, I agree. Because there aren't a lot of called plays McHale's able to be creative with rotations. And boy has he been. I was never a fan of him as a coach before this year. This year I think he has to get a look for COY and it's for all the reasons in your post. Well, that and the injuries and our record, which bear the theory out.

8. kemah

kemah Member

Detroit showed us what we have to look forward to when we play teams that have 2 bigs which is most elite teams in the west conference.

9. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

budenholzer has CoY on lock. Sorry.

10. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I don't think Milk Hair reads Clutchfans. If he were we'd be 1st in the west.

11. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Classic basketball theory--if you can't compete in height and heft, change the game with speed.

The small-ball line-up worked because Papa hit his 3s,followed by a Harden 3. We need to hit our 3s. Then DET responded by putting in one big only, which enabled DMo to go to work.

I would like more discipline though in the endgame. We were only down by 4, had the ball but instead of going to post DMo, somebody (Papa? Ariza?) missed a 3. DET hit a 3, and we couldn't get any closer. In the endgame, with possessions so precious, could not they always go for the best percentage shot?

If DMo is stopped, then that's time to find another option. But our offensive discipline really falls by the wayside. I would like the coaches to emphasize finding the highest percentage shot in the 4th.

12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Id personally like to start games with this lineup

Brewer
    harden
    ariza
    jones
    dmo

1 person likes this.
  13. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Yes, I would believe that Harden would still be playing the role of facilitator and still having the ball in his hands making the plays, whether it's scoring or passing.

THIS...I was thinking (in my mind) that once Brewer was brought in, it would be Harden, Brewer, and Ariza finishing games. Both Brewer and Ariza can constantly guard PG, SG, and SF; while Harden can guard SG and SF. For the "quicker" PGs, I would think Brewer would be guarding those and Harden and Ariza would be defending SG and SF positions. As many have posted during the season, Bev's D has not been what it used to be. And if Bev is not playing his "normal" style of D, then (again, in my mind), he is a total liability on the court in crunch time situations where defense is absolutely critical.

14. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Best trolling efforts I have seen in a while.

10/10, 5 stars thread.

15. basketballholic

Right now Brewer is the best point guard defender on this roster. I'd love to see Brewer,Harden, Ariza start the game with Brewer working against the opponent primary ball handler.

16. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Actually it was Ariza that was substituted to defend both Ellis and Augustine in the 4th (not Brewer). Ariza basically shut down both and we won both games. Ariza is our best defender this year by far.

17. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Garbage time "blowout." The fix are in.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The trigger was Papanikolaou. Why we have not been playing him, I have no clue. The guy knows how to force a defense into a bad formation. Yes he's young and turns the ball over, but his overall play is worth keeping him out there.

19. RocketTownHou

RocketTownHou Member

I think you're right. But Brewer coming off the bench has helped spark something that the starters didn't have. I could take him either way, but also wouldn't mind seeing him getting a chance to start.

Bev is starting to look flat in all aspects of his game. If we could flip him with Brewer for a couple of games, especially against playoff teams, maybe somethin' good could come of it.

I could see Brewer giving us 15+ in 25-30 minutes on the floor on top of great defense and runnin' the break.