1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Jordan Hill has been terrible this year and is a large reason why the Lakers are as bad as they are. To be fair, he's not really trying, but even at his best he's mediocre and worse than DMo, Jones and Smith.

2. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

If Dwight is out the rest of the season, we'd probay get an injured player exception right? K-Pap/Dorsey/Pelicans pick or Johnson for Jordan Hill.

3. marky :)

marky :) Member

He said he was talking out of his @$$ about that...

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd just use it on Dalembert.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not sure what you mean by "on a roll".

Jordan Hill was brought in to be the Lakers starting center, and rim protector, yet the Lakers are the next to worst team in the league defensively, and allow a layup line getting to the rim. I know Byron Scott deserves some blame as does the perimeter defense of Kobe, and Lin, but the rim protection from Hill is obviously part of the equation.

If you want to celebrate his mid-range jumper that's great, but wouldn't the whole point of bringing in Jordan Hill be because of the fact that the Rockets are losing Dwight Howard for much of the season and need RIM PROTECTION?

Also, since when did Morey go out there and say... "you know what we need.... Mid Range Jump Shooters"...?

The one skill that Hill has that the Rockets wanted (back this Summer) and still could use is his ability to rebound. Especially offensively. That didn't work out and the Rockets went with a fall-back value option of Joey Dorsey.

Dorsey is actually an even better rebounder PER 36 min than Hill is. No he doesn't have a mid-range jumper though.... so... yeah. If D-Mo alone can get better at rebounding (always been an up and down part of his game), I think it helps this team well enough to not have to bring in another rebounder. Dorsey, Smith, and Jones at times are all pretty good on the boards.

#23125 dobro1229, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Jordan Hill could be a decent filler-- but he is nothing special, not really better than their current option of just using DMo, Smith, Jones and Dorsey up front. Just a good rebounder, a mediocre jump shooter and not a rim protector. And I don't think that you give up a mid-1st round pick for him. Maybe one of these high 2nd round picks that the Rockets own and that's about all.

Brandan Wright is a much better player than Jordan Hill and he didn't even land Boston a mid-1st round pick.

I bet Brandon Bass is also available from the Celtics and I probably would prefer Bass to Hill.

7. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

First round pick for... JORDAN HILL??? OMG!!!!!!

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If you're gonna trade the Pelicans pick, you gotta do it for a guard, specifically one who can create. The Rockets have enough quality big men at this point with the addition of Smith and Jones back healthy.

9. Stilldream'n34

Any chance at Enes Kanter?

10. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

The Pelicans pick that valuable, guys. It's a 13-15 pick at most.. That's not the way I see it, but that's the way most GMs see it.

11. Carl Herrera

cyberx may or may not have heard something about a trade, but trading a mid-1st round pick for Jordan Hill would be totally outside of Morey's pattern. Doubt it happens.

12. cyberx

cyberx Member

I just made up a scenario...

So same scenario but with a 2nd? What else you think would get it.

13. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Guess I am just going to follow you as I agree fully here. If we can't do better than Dorsey by a good amount then why waste assets? Hell Dmo at 7 foot can do better just standing there with his arms up.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If the Rockets felt they needed to get another BIG because they wanted to rest DH12, then Hill wouldn't be a bad solution. I think the NYK 2nd as the principal asset would be enough to get it done. I mean, the Lakers NEED to suck to ensure they get THEIR 1st round pick and not have it go to the Suns. So it would be win/win for them.

If the Rockets move their NOP pick for an "impact player" (Lawson, Dragic) and in the process need to include either D-Mo or Tjones, the Rockets then also might be inclined to take a look at Hill to fill a need as another BIG in the rotation.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Let's talk about team needs first and foremost-

-The Lakers need to get under the luxury tax (need to shave about a mil off), and the need to drop down low enough to get their top 5 pick so it doesn't go to Phoenix. They also need to not lose players for nothing in free agency. They might very well have to waive Hill's team option to create cap space.

-The Rockets need rim protection & rebounding to makeup for what they will be losing with Dwight going out for the next few weeks. Should we look up how good the Lakers rim protection has been this year with Jordan Hill on the court?

-The Rockets would be looking for Rebounding with Jordan Hill as a rental for the rest of the year. All other skills he has, are not primary to the Rockets needs. Also, Dorsey rebounds at a higher rate per 36 than Hill does.

Sound to me like the Rockets really shouldn't be giving up anything of value to be quite honest. If anything the Lakers should be trying to move Jordan Hill to get under the luxury tax, tank, and they should not pick up his team option next year to clear more cap space for a foundational player in free agency.

Sounds like the team needs are mostly one-sided.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

In addition to the NKY 2nd round pick, I think the Rockets have maybe 1 or 2 other 2nd rounders in the 2015 draft that could be used. I can't remember if the Rockets already traded them away in the Troy Daniels / Shved trades.

17. craguin

craguin Member

He's considering not coming back until next season:

18. Carl Herrera

I would not personally. Might give up something for Black or Ed Davis. Just not a fan of Hill.

Perhaps Morey would have signed him for the right price in the summer, but it's one thing to just sign a guy, it's another to give up an asset for him.

Also, who is the matching salary? Hill makes $9M. So it seems to me that to get enough salaries going out for him the team would have to include at least a rotation player (Terry, Brewer) or young asset (Kostas or more than one of the rookies). Shved is probably the only one I'd consider a "filler" and he doesn't make enough.

So, nah... you people can keep Jordan Hill or find some other team for him.

19. marky :)

marky :) Member

The statue of Hakeem outside the Toyota Center would probably be better at defending the paint and rebounding than Jordan Hill. Stick that statue in the paint on defense and go 4v5 on offense and call it a day.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Jesus H., guys, cyberx was mulling over what it would take to get Jordan Hill. Even that original post makes it obvious: "Would it take...?"

Our NOP #1 is safe in a JHill scenario.

Plus, he said Dmo OR Tjones could be dealt if the latter stays healthy, not that either would have to go in a deal for Hill.

Not so tough to skip back a few pages and actually read (and comprehend) the source.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.