1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Howard to get second opinion on knee, could miss extended time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 29, 2015.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yes, and it also cements feigen as a mouthpiece with zero journalistic integrity (something we already knew though)

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't know if you haven't been paying attention but we play just as well with Howard out most of the time. The only time we miss him is when we face a legit Center or a freak like DeAndre.

3. iBleedRocketRed

HONESTLY ..We looked quicker and more fluid without dwight and T jones and smith protecting the paint together.Not saying we are better without dwight..but i am saying it's better than dwight posting up alot. .

4. Zbed

Zbed Member

I don't think we're in danger of missing the playoffs I think we're 11-4 without Dwight or something like that so we have been playing well without him.

I think we can comfortably ride super Saiyan Harden and the new and improved Dmo to the playoffs.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

10-4 without Dwight - our winning percentage has been better without him than with him this year.

DD

6. kemah

kemah Member

lol

We did when we had the 2nd softest schedule in the league. Let's see now that we have a tough schedule coming up. At least we have a couple of players now that can help. Too bad they aren't starting centers.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, I wouldn't miss you if you were gone. If I wanted your negativity, I'd turn on a news channel. Kemah deserves better.

3 people like this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

It's all about rebounding and frankly the only thing Dwight has contributed at an elite level this season is rebounding.

Edit: we got crushed on the boards by the Mavs Wednesday. We need a rebounder to step up. Capela?

#208 REEKO_HTOWN, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I just put him on ignore - tbh he seems like an obsessed child or young kid - so no need to continue to have discourse with him.

Oh, and Kemah that means conversation just so you know.

;)

DD

1 person likes this.
  10. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

He should take his time and make sure he's 100% for the playoffs. Jones/Dmo/Smith can handle the 4/5 spot for the time being.

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Or get microfracture NOW if he needs it - he should not be even thinking of playoffs or basketball - just getting healthy for himself.

DD

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Yeah, this team isn't missing the playoffs. We have beasted on peeps without Dwight and that was WITHOUT Terrence Jones. Worst case scenario, we have 96 minutes at PF/C to split between Dmo, Jones and Smoove with Dorsey picking up the crumbs. Not a bad group of bigs at all.

Harden is just too good this year. He could carry a wheel chair team to the playoffs.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Whatever the outcome of this knee injury, I think this is a pretty big wake up call to everyone (Dwight, the coaches, FO, fans) that Dwight's role will need to be changed for him to have a lengthy & effective back portion of his career.

This is going to be an important transition period for Dwight. I know everyone wants to win a title this year, and I know everyone expects Dwight Howard to eventually get back to 2011 Dwight Howard, but that's just not good for sustained & stable success at the 5 spot moving forward.

I still think Dwight can be a major force on the defensive end, but the minutes, and the ability to dominate offensively as well will need to be significantly reduced. His athleticism will probably hinder his ability to really be the great finisher that he once was, the high flying dunks are something we might not see much of, and posting up will be a lot tougher without the lift and strength to bully his man.

If the team and Dwight run his body into the ground this year and next that might be it for Dwight's career pretty soon.

If they come out of this with a plan to handle his wear and tear more appropriately proportioned to the heavy toll his body has taken over the years, I think he can play an effective roll as this teams starting center for many more years & really still affect the game on the defensive end like he's capable of doing.

14. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

I wonder who missed this in the beginning of the season. How dude go in for a sprained ankle and end up needing his knees re-glassed.

15. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Sounds like the Lopez to the Rockets trade rumors are going to start heating up.

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Have there been any reports on microfracture for dwight, or are we thinking that because of Houston sports?

Obviously I know "2nd opinion" are words you don't want to hear... But just wanted to make sure. I mean I searched but didn't find much.

I also know about microfracture being such a hit and miss (usually more miss), I don't think it'll even be an option for athletes once there are more advancements in the field. Hopefully if it is microfracture surgery it's successful and prolongs his career.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

He was already complaining about knee pain before the ankle sprain. His knee has been bad all season. I think the "Dwight tweaked his ankle again in practice" story was nonsense and when Dwight decided to fly out to see a knee Doctor the Rockets were forced to release the edema news.

This org has legit problems with its medical/player communications. Seems like players always second guess our medical staff.

18. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Cyberx dropped that the front office was worried that Dwight needed microfracture surgery a few weeks ago.

19. SemisolidSnake

At this point, just do whatever needs to be done, and let the rest of the team get some extra game time through the rest of the season. I think we'll do better than expected since a hobbled Dwight on the court is like playing with 4.5 men. If he comes back fixed by next season, and we've gotten lots more experience for Terrence, D-Mo, and the rest, then we should be pretty awesome at least in terms of player potential. I'd say we still even have a chance of making it out of the first round this without Dwight if we get a good matchup for us.

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

CCity - the rumors of MFracture came from CyberX saying some in the org are worried he might need it.

What we do know is that he is getting some injections of gel into his knee which is a temp replacement for cartlidge - usually lasts a couple of months - I know a few people that get that every few months because they are bone on bone.

And Dwight himself said bone on bone - honestly the more I type the sicker I feel.

DD