1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Hassan Whiteside???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by willieg52, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah. That was CXBibby.

2. basketballholic

Don't remember right now what all I said about Morris but I was for drafting him if other players were already gone...and they were.

And I was for drafting him over Kawhi Leonard. I missed on Kawhi. Didn't think he could shoot. Didn't think he would be able to learn. Thought his hands were too big and he'd have Shaq syndrome shooting a basketball. So I was for drafting Marcus above him and I was for drafting Derrick Williams above both of them. (how many people without humility admit their mistakes?)

But I don't feel bad about missing on Kawhi. So did Morey and he's making the big bucks. And in talent evaluation there's nobody that is perfect.

Not tooting my horn but I'm right way more than I'm wrong when it comes to talent evaluation. Go pull up what I said about Damian Lillard, Steph Curry, JJ Redick, and many other players pre-draft. I stand on my record. Go back and see what I said about the Larry Sanders extension. Go back and see what I said about Lowry and Brooks. Go back and see what I said about Lowry when he was still at Memphis before we traded for him. Go back and see what I said about Brooks vs. Rafer. Go back and see what I said about Nik Vucevic pre-draft. And on and on. I do know a lot about NBA talent.

As far as Derrick Williams goes, I think he was drafted by the wrong team and was not developed properly. I think he'll eventually find some success playing the stretch-4 spot on a team similar to ours. He's not a 3. Every attempt to play him at the 3 is a disaster. Yet teams like Minny and Sacramento keep going there.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I have no problem with folks talking ridiculous trade proposals, and I certainly have no problems with folks being high on prospects (as long as they don't s#$% on other players just to prove they are right about "their guy").

What I do have a problem with is someone demanding to be showered with praises and held up as some all-knowing entity, and talking down to anyone who doesn't want to buy into your BS scheme to be in the "cool club". I've never seen someone so obsessed with internet status.

If you throw enough crap on the wall something is bound to stick, and that's fine. But a little humility goes a long way. You of all people I believe understand that now.

4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

the Rockets JD Martinez

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Except Whiteside never played for the Rockets lol.

Damnit Hassan! why didn't you grow up while on the Vipers!!

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tell that to Dwight.

DD

7. dobro1229

Oh geez. What's your problem now?

-le$ doesn't spend like Cuban
    -Morey treats players like assets
    -Morey doesn't draft enough long shot/high upside guys
    -clutch unfairly criticized me
    -etc etc

Now it's something with Dwight? Let's hear it.

8. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Dude you still sound like a douche.
    Instead of trying so hard to defend your earlier thoughts on Whiteside,

all you had to do was raise your hand up and say my bad "basketballholic" you won this one. I was wrong about Whiteside.

AND KEEP IT MOVING. Jeez.
    Still arguing and pontificating about how and why you felt the way you did as if anyone gives a $hit.

I mean damn. It's that difficult to tell someone they were right about something and you were wrong and then move on to the next topic or issue? It's seriously that difficult for you?

Also, read properly next time. Nowhere in my post to you did I state I predicted anything about Whiteside one way or another. I just merely pointed(posted a picture) of the kid and the proof of his ability that disproves your earlier thoughts on him. I'm not one that delves into talent evaluation so get that right next time chief.

Carry on.

9. ferrari77

Lol at saying "But a little humility goes a long way".
    By someone failing woefully at being humble, owning up to a wrong prediction and conceding an argument to another person without doing so in a manner still showing pride.
    You slam him for not showing humility yet obviously you are showing it in excellent fashion.

10. DaDakota

LOL - I have no problems dobro - just because I don't agree with some things doesn't make it a problem.

And you are wrong about Clutch - he has been more than fair.

:)

Why so angry - let it go....let it go.....

DD

11. dobro1229

I know you and Clutch sorted things out which is good, and I've always enjoyed your posts before and after. You've blown your trumpet pretty loudly on the first couple opinions you've shared over the years. I'm interested to hear what issue you have with Dwight now because it seems to be a new DD point of emphasis. Those are almost always polarizing opinions, but definitely entertaining to debate over.

12. DaDakota

This is not an appropriate thread for that discussion it is about Whiteside, and I rarely worry about polarizing opinions, I call it as I see it, sometimes wrong, sometimes right.

DD

13. dobro1229

Yes. I was totally supposed to respond to your post with a pic of a pie in the face with the utmost dignity.

My only point was that everyone was wrong about Hassan Whiteside, and I don't think its a credit, or discredit thing. Everyone here picks their favorites and wants praise for when they think they are right. The entire NBA discarded Whiteside for 5 years, and he found his way on his own time. Good for him. But nobody should be getting a gold star for saying "see... I picked him a long time ago... give me credit". NOBODY saw this coming.

If that's too douchey of a response for you than let me introduce you to the block feature on this site. Sorry if I offended you, and you feel Basketballhollic deserves a little more praise from me.

14. ferrari77

Why yes actually you were supposed to respond to my post with dignity(utmost is up to your discretion). You could have chosen to respond to it with amusement and merely said, "Yeah yeah I got got on that one" but I guess that was a bit difficult for someone bearing that humility cross like you obviously are.

Your point was read, noted and understood by anyone reading this thread. To say you don't think it's a credit or discredit thing is more than a little misleading on your part seeing as you sure did attempt to discredit the person with whom you were arguing about Whiteside with....but hey, I guess you see, parse and spin what you want. Do you brah.

Meh, some people can't help their douchiness so if that's the case with your responses then so be it. No apologies for me needed bro, definitely not offended and life goes on. I don't get paid on here to prevent you from being a douche if you choose to do what you seem best at. Like I said, "Do you brah".

Willl definitely take you up on the block feature on this site. Such a benevolent gesture on your part. Humility and thoughtfulness all in one person, what a gem "dobro 1229".

Cheers to you.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Looking like the one who got away. Looks like the kid just needed a team to be patient with him... Wonder what this team would look like with him and Asik and the extra cap space that was spent on Howard.

16. RedSnipe

RedSnipe Member

Hindsight is one thing but for years we shied away from real big men.

Perhaps the drafting and development of D-Mo and hopefully Capella shows a shift in Morey's thinking?

Dwight has 2 more years at the most and will have to take a pay cut on his next contract if he continues to play. His health is not good.

17. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

My god.. the Dwight hate reminds me of the Harden hate a year ago. People are such fools.

18. Remii

Remii Member

I actually think he will opt out after his 3rd year and bolt... But he won't have to take a pay cut because a team will pay him.

Difference is Harden dragged a team full of nobodies and a clueless coach to the playoffs in the western conference... So the hate for Harden was by the few who didn't know any better and by the LOF's... But the post you responded to indicated no hate for Howard... Just posed a question.

But I know many on clutchfans were willing to give their left nut for Howard and some even had the nerve to proclaim this his team when he got here...Lol.. So I understand the sensitivity on the matter.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Dude has put together, what, a quarter season of decent basketball finally after 5 years?

Congrats to him. I mean that. But for any of you to sit here and give a respected poster crap for dismissing said player (like 99% of the NBA world did also) is absolute lunacy.

He's basically a poor man's JaVale McGee in terms of reputation and up & down production. Let's see him do it for a full season; and ultimately, how he performs after getting paid.

20. ferrari77

I'm the one apparently giving said "respected" poster crap. (I'm sorry but respected? Where, the GARM? Yeah idrgaf). Also, I didn't give the person crap for dismissing the said player. I made light of it and he chose to get butthurt. All the person had to do was do what you did, express congrats to the guy for turning things around and showing the ability to play at the NBA level...but apparently that was too much for your "respected poster" to do and he chose to go all defensive. C'est la vie.

So I'll explain this to you one time- No one is calling the kid the second coming of Wilt, Hakeem or Shaq. All that's being said is that he can actually play in this league and belongs in the league. If he ends up being a poor man's Javale McGee so be it. Main thing that can't be denied even based on a quarter season of decent basketball is that the kid can play and hang in the league. He has shown and done more in a quarter season than Dorsey, Greg Smith, Ryan Hollins, (and unfortunately I have to include two of my favourite people) Ian Mahinmi and Joel Freeland have done in several years and full seasons in the league.