1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets settle on a new logo (Chron)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xcharged, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Howyalikemenow

Okay, I was at the Astros game yesterday, and yeah, the announcer came on and they flashed the new logo, saying "Cheer if you like it, Boo if you don't." In unison, everyone booed like crazy!! And, there's a reason.... it's horid and evil-looking.

I'm a designer, and the first impression is everything. You're not suppose to grow into a logo, it should give you an immediate impact. Everyone that I've talked to has the same one: "it looks bloody", "it looks gothic", "Quake anybody?", "how does that resemble basketball?".

Marketing seriously dropped the ball on this one, and I hope they have the balls to fix it. Get rid of the dripping blood and stakes.

2. DevilsAdvocate

DevilsAdvocate Contributing Member

Really boring. Where is the yellow? :(

Reminds me a bit of the old "HR" caps that New Era came out with a long time ago, where the rocket was between a monolitic H and R.

3. Franchize3

Franchize3 Member

"The R plays a prominent role. One rumor I heard was that it was going to be just a giant R. That's not true. There is some trim outside the trademark and the logo." - Tim McDougall, Rockets Marketing VP

Hopefully, this means we haven't yet seen the final version of the logo. I hope its more along the lines of Rocketeer's design.

4. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Well, I guess it`s better then what we have. Ona scale from 1-10 I give it a 5

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

I think the reason why Rocketeer's version looks better is, again, because there is contrast.

I have settled down and the basic design of the logo is pretty good. I just wish there was a lil more depth and color contrast in it.

However, from what Tim said this morning, looks like that will indeed be the case.

6. saviorlh

saviorlh Member

Its ok I guess, better than the one before...........could have done better though..................

7. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

I like em.

You people got exactly what you asked for and are still nitpicking and b****ing. The trail doesn't look like dripping blood unless YOU WANT it to look like dripping blood. Damn, what exactly did you guys expect? It would have had to have been the freaking Michael Jordan of logos to live up to all the hype and anticipation. Word of advice. Look to the top left hand of your monitor to see what a logo shouldn't be and then maybe you'll be able to appreciate the new one more.

I like it. It's clean. It's nice. It's playa.

BTW, the Texans logo is nice also. The name sucks and the home unis leave alot to be desired but the the logo is nice.

8. xcharged

xcharged Member

Sources confirm...Duffman likes the Red & Yellow.

[​IMG]

9. brocktoon

brocktoon Contributing Member

I emailed Tim this morning telling him that i really liked the logo, but I also brought up the concerns of it lacking texture and depth. I sent him the links for Rocketeer's renditions. Here's Tim's response:

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i disagree completely. if the logo instantly appeals to you, it's likely because there are elements to it that remind you of something you've previously liked. familiarity breeds content.

same is true of a song or a movie... hell, any piece of art. if it closely follows previously successful formulas, chances are the majority will instantly respond to it positively.

but something completely original or off the beaten path is going to almost always be initially oft-putting and will take time for people to respond to because it's not in line with their expectations (countless examples abound' first to mind, citizen kane -- panned upon its initial release, now considered a classic).

i think this logo falls into the "off the beaten path category" -- at first, i was unimpressed, but it's such a departure... several looks later, it's not growing me, but i appreciate it more.

11. Cheezewhiz

Cheezewhiz Member

Saw the logo on a baseball cap last night. Looks pretty good.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

Both perspectives are correct. This is about selling and it's about a lasting identification for the team.

That being said, you can accomplish both. As Jeff said. That Texans logo had instant appeal and is a classic look. This logo failed to do that. The instant reaction is mixed. That's not what you want.

I have not heard from the Chinese Market. Which could be very excited by it. If that's true then they accomplished something with the logo. But from the American point of view I think they failed.

13. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

People think about the FIRST time you saw the most recent logo compared to the ketchup and mustard logo!! You probably hated it at first and then it grew on you right??

Wait a minute....your right...the dildo with teeth NEVER grew on me!

The "RedRum Dracula" logo is growing on me,,,,I guess!!!

14. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

maybe its not the greatest looking thing in the world, but what do you expect when you have a fashion designer making sports logos and jerseys. all i know, is that its a whoooole lot better than the crazy teeth rocket thing. it does seem strange to pay somebody tons of money just to do that, but honestly, what do you expect? its just a logo. no matter how cool it is, its not gonna look like a million bucks.

15. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

No wonder many of us don't like it...we aren't 12 years old.

"They are obviously trying to make a statement in the use of this graphic," said Paul Swangard, managing director of The Warsaw Sports Marketing Center at the University of Oregon. "On the surface I can see it having the brand equities of the Rockets. The name 'Rocket,' I can see that in there. I can see the upward movement of a team on the rise and a spacey connotation to it."

But Swangard said the team has to sell its new logo to 12-year-olds, not those in the sports marketing world.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0708/1578252.html

16. mingonly

mingonly Member

everyone booed when we drafted Horry and we all know how that turned out

#436 mingonly, Jul 9, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2003
  17. zoork34

i was at the game, and the announcer was like cheer if you like, boo if you dont like, and from where i was, i heard more boos, but most people didnt say anything. i really think people were in shock. i was just like, what the heck, that logo is evil and wants to eat my children or something.

18. zoork34

hey where can we get the hats?

19. danielk

danielk Member

[​IMG] CHECK THE LINK OUT!! PRETTY COOL ROCKETS JERSEY WITH THE NEW LOGO. THE LOGO LOOKS NICE ON A JERSEY !! WOW!!

20. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I'm still deciding if I like the new logo but IMO its a lot better than the current rocket with teeth logo. That thing just looked too much like something out of the Jetsons or from a '50's lunchbox. The new logo seems a little too 'slick' in a corporate / Hollywood way for the Rockets. From seeing other examples of the designer's work I'm wondering if the Rockets didn't try other designers or thought about a competition for it.

Here is my contribution for a Rox logo based on the Honda R-Type logo. It can appeal to all those guys driving tricked out Civics.

[​IMG]

Someone on the BBS did a version of the new logo with a tilted 'R' that I thought was pretty good.