1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spirit and Mexican low cost carriers start fare war with United

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Jan 19, 2015.

1. da1

da1 Member

Spirit's massive expansion plus viva aerobus, Internet, and volaris entering the market have caused a huge fare war with United on certain Latin American destinations, particularly cancun and guadalajara.

Spirits impact is more because they fly domestically and to other countries like Belize, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Honduras.

Good for customers.

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i saw a ticket the other day RT from houston to rome for $610. is this because of oil prices or is something else going on?

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Flew Spirit this past weekend. Satisfied with the service and would fly again.

5. da1

da1 Member

Which airline?

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

im not 100% sure but i think it said turkish airlines

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Turkish Airlines were flying to Mumbai for $750 over the weekend. Lots of good airfare right now to a lot of various destinations.

8. da1

da1 Member

Yea Turkish is awesome. They offer business class upgrades at check in for $750 which is worth it for a 13 hour flight.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

and also i have another question you savvy travel guys may be able answer.

ive had a chase freedom card for a while (with the intention of getting the sapphire preferred soon) but my question is this 3 month block you get 5% back on grocery store purchase (sans walmart and target) anyways does that bonus count towards heb if you get gas from them or for example buy a tv from an HEB plus?

10. da1

da1 Member

Probably

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I like United for the CEO intro

12. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Flew Spirit from Dallas to San Francisco, $99 round trip a week ago. Only difference from any other flight I took was that I was not given a bag of peanuts and a soda. Spirit is awesome!

13. Mr. Clutch

Don't they charge fee for carry on and for leaning your seat back?

14. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

I took a gym back as my "personal item" (the one free thing you are allowed to bring) and packed 4 days worth of clothes with me, including an extra pair of shoes and medicine/shaving bag. Wore a hoody and jacket on the flight, weather was cold so no issue. Did not have to pay anything extra even though my bag was slightly bigger than the size of the bag they say is free, they did not even check to see if it was the proper size for a "personal item".

Saved so much time for bag check in, waiting for luggage or having to worry about my luggage getting mixed in with another flight. All around great experience if you can pack tight and light. Anything much more than 4 days would have been stretch though, unless I was staying somewhere with a laundry.

Oh and only a**holes lean back.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I will continie to support Spirit because I am a cheap SOB and believe airfare should not be insanely expensive. Travel is awesome and more people should be able to travel more freely.

16. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I bought roundtrip tickets to Vegas for $40 on spirit a few weeks ago. Just make sure to buy your tickets at the airport instead of online. (you'll save the online booking fee that they charge)

17. Mr. Clutch

I always lean back as far as possible.

Usually right after the drinks arrive

18. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Wut :eek:

I bought RT from Houston to San Diego for $160. I'd be travelling once a month with prices like this.

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm an hour and a half from Cleveland. I can get tickets from Cleveland to Dallas for about $75 round trip. If Dallas was closer to Houston, I'd probably fly to visit my family in Houston about a weekend a month.

If Spirit can improve their customer relations, which it seems theybare working on, there won't be a chance of a "war" even happening.