1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is sympathy for Islam so common on the political left?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

I am only making a point that singling out an entire religion because of the actions of a few is ignorant. It's only cool to beat up on OTHER religions huh?

2. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Your point about Christianity is a rather poor one and reeks of ignorance. No, it's not cool. I don't think I have promoted that line of thinking at all. But feel free to continue misfiring.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It doesn't.

4. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Blacks also kept blacks as slaves in Africa, South America and the West Indies. Arabs still own slaves. Slavery has never been confined to one people. Ask the Greeks, the Jews, the Teutonic Germans, etc., etc.

There are slave girls and little boys at this very minute in Houston, Texas. Police catch slave traders on almost a daily basis. We put these wrongs back to right wherever we can. However, you can choose to move forward or you can choose to bathe in the injustices that occurred long before you were born.

5. Felixthecat

Explain please.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yes I think the point is that the modern world has moved on from some of the backwards thinking still common in many Muslim nations.

Like getting sentenced to prison for being an atheist. Or to death for "insulting" a religion or for getting raped.

7. Hustle Town

What else is there to explain? I feel like I have been very clear with my comments. Here's what I think you want me to explain: Islam should not be denounced because of a group of extremists. However, I do think Islam's situation with extremism is unique. I also think some of the concerns other posters have raised about Islamic extremism are fair.

8. Felixthecat

It's unique in which way? Because it is happening in present day?

9. Hustle Town

I think you have raised some important distinctions here.

Christianity: Matthew 5:43-44 (NIV)
    “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"

Islam: I can't find a verse that doesn't say avenge your enemies. Can someone please post a verse from the Quran about loving your enemy?

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

On a global level, Muslims are not some small group that "gets stereotyped" and "needs to be protected" by the left. We are talking about more than 1 billion people here.

On the contrary, where Muslims are in power and in the majority, minorities in those countries usually have it much, much worse than any minority in the Western world.

On average (of course generalizing here), Arabs are incredibly racist, especially towards people from the Indian subcontinent, as evidenced in the inhumane conditions laborers from these countries work under e.g. in the UAE and Qatar. More racist than any racism Europeans would display towards Arabs at this time.

Why would leftists support that?

It's a total contradiction that leftists fight tooth and nail against the Catholic church, but turn a blind eye or try to rationalize or excuse any bad thing that happens in the name of Islam, and portray it as "just a reaction to something the evil West (USA/Israel) has done". Objectively, it doesn't make any sense at all, but it follows their thought pattern when it comes to socio-economic domestic issues.

2 people like this.
  11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Because it IS happening in the present day, not the past. For example:

Muslims allow equal rights to women. Yes or no?
    Muslim women are taught to read and write. Yes or no?
    Muslims in more than a few nations do not allow Christianity. Yes or no?
    Is there a Christian nation that does not allow Muslims? Yes or no?
    Muslims believe in cutting off limbs for different offenses. Yes or no?
    Muslims have severe penalties for same sex encounters. Yes or no?
    Muslims still allow slavery. Yes or no?

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Christians believed in racism and slavery for about 1900 years so... I guess true Christianity is a relatively new phenomenon.

13. CometsWin

Blacks didn't keep black slaves because they thought them to be less than human and inferior in the eyes of God. What a clown show. Jesus...

14. Hustle Town

Believed in it? This might be the most moronic statement I have seen in the D&D. What a surprise it came from you.

15. CometsWin

Clearly you're a scholar. Lol. Maybe you should spend a little more time studying history and a little less time believing your own rhetoric.

This revisionist history that some of you specialize in is priceless.

16. Hustle Town

It is clear from the pervasive ignorance in your posts that you aren't either. And I don't find your propagation of ignorance to be funny. Maybe you enjoy being a jerk, but I won't tolerate it.

(I know how you will respond to this. You will reply with a joke brushing it off like the lonely bitter troll that you are.)

17. CometsWin

You won't tolerate the truth? Mkay, sounds rather intolerant of you. March on Christian soldier.

18. redglare92

redglare92 Member

"Show forgiveness, speak for justice, and avoid the ignorant." Quran 7:199

There have been radicals that have hijacked the name of nearly every established religious ideology and committed atrocities. The people who have done some of these horrific things are shunned by others who practice a more benevolent philosophy that is the majority interpretation of the scripture. You can't judge the latter by the former group. If someone of the same ethnicity as you commits a crime, that doesn't make you or anyone else of the same background guilty of the other person's unlawful action.

I'm shocked at the level of xenophobia and intolerance that exists online and in other parts of our daily lives. Hakeem Olajuwon is a practicing Muslim and the greatest player to wear a Rockets uniform. I remember when everyone in the league and the fans here in Houston embraced him when he became more religious and took to fasting, praying during the season and engaging in other Islamic sacraments. There are many people who are Muslim that live here and are fans of the team and are active in this online community. I truly wish people would look inside and embrace a higher standard of diversity where all of us really can coexist in peace and mutual respect here and elsewhere.

19. Hustle Town

I won't tolerate your lies. Slavery is completely contrary to the Bible, and any Christian who supported it was wrong to do so.

Why are your posts always so arrogant? Do you enjoy hiding behind a computer screen and inflating your own ego, or are you actually this arrogant in real life?

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Depends on where they live. Muslims in the United State - you got your answer. Muslims in Indonesia is an interesting one. Muslims there have been trying to incorporate shaira law for decades - not sure how successful, but with almost 90% of it's population Muslims, their livelihood don't seem to have any close resemblance to those folks living under nations run by Muslim religious laws.

There is still a Christian nation? If there was still a Christian State, I would really wonder how much of your questions would be valid toward Christain. You can add a couple of more too i'm sure.