1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Cardale Jones fall to us at #16?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by swyyyguy, Jan 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juxtaposed Jolt

/decision.

I don't know why people here think he should go back to OSU or another college, and try to show what he can do. I get that 3 games is 3 games, but those 3 games were the biggest of OSU's season.

There's no reason to go back to school, especially if your goal is the NFL. Why go back when you might not even be the starter? Or worse, get an injury that would kill your chances of being drafted.

I do think that Jones needs to get quality advice, fast. If intel suggests he can be drafted within the first 5 rounds, I'd jump. If not...well, I might still jump anyway.

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

True, I was just referring to Winston's fall from grace because he is a knucklehead.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't see any reason a team wouldn't take a flyer on him with, say, a 5th or 6tg round pick. I can't imagine him going undrafted, in all seriousness.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

You gotta look at the big picture. If the wrong team drafts him early and he's not ready for what they throw at him, it might scar his career. Some QBs don't get over their horrible starts. If he stays, it will be for him to get more experience and be more prepared for the NFL. The other side, of course, is that if he has a horrible season in the NCAA next year it might ruin his career as well.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Unless he is a first round pick, it is unlikely he'll be starting his rookie season. The best outcome for him would be to go to a team where he can gain seasoning behind somebody established.

6. Nook

Nook Member

He would probably have to sit out a year after transfering, then he would need to play very well at whatever university he transfers to. That would leave him at almost 25 years old as a rookie QB. There are A LOT of varaibles involved.

If I were him, I would go pro and do his best. He gets some money this way. The likelyhood is he gets drafted unless his skills are just not NFL caliber, and if that is the case, he wont be getting drafted in 2 years either.

The end game for him is a little different than what most fans think. Getting drafted and playing in the NFL opens up opportunities in the CFL, coaching in the future and just the ability to say he was the QB of the National Champions and was drafted and played in the NFL will get him decent job offers as long as he isnt completely inept.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is that no one could know if his skills are NFL caliber because he only has a grand total of 3 college starts. If he declares and gets drafted before the 7th round, I'd be shocked.

8. Remii

Remii Member

Mariota has possibly hurt his draft stock by not coming out last year... I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's still on the board when the Texans draft at 16.

9. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

The question is whether the right comparison is to Cam Newton or to Vince Young or to Jamarcus Russell. With only three games of experience, it's very hard to tell.

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

What he needs to do is transfer so he can start a full season of games in college. Fall to us at #16? I'd be willing to take a chance if he falls to us in the 6th round, perhaps.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

What really tells you more, 10 games versus crappy Big 10 teams and cupcakes or 3 huge games versus Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon?

The sample size may be smaller, but it is always better to assess a player versus tougher competition on a big stage.

12. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Has anybody else seen better QB play than Jones play in the last 3 tgames. Maybe VY in 2006 but he was just running alot too. Jones has a rocket for an arm and is very accurate. I would love it if we take him in the 3rd.

13. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

i would love it if we take him in the 1st.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Confirmed troll.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

One thing to keep in mind is that Jones is 22. He's not a typical sophomore. With that being said, taking him ANYWHERE before the 4th round would be overpaying like crazy. I still stand by my 6th round selection.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

With only 3 games in the books, I think that places an inordinate amount of value on things we don't know as fans. Interviews, talking to his previous coaches, and of course his workouts/measurements/etc.

So I think *right now* something like 4th-6th makes sense. But all of the above goes insanely well, you might have to elevate him to 2nd or 3rd and take a risk

17. Remii

Remii Member

Name the can't miss prospects that are in this draft that should be drafted before Jones....

If Jones does declare and he kills it on the white board _ no way he will be their in the 6th round. This draft isn't like last year's draft. This is a draft that a team could burn a 1st or 2nd round pick on Jones.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Talking about the draft stock of a player with 3 total college starts, a player that is 3rd string on his team, a player who might not want to stay in college because he might not be good enough to win the starter job, is insanity.

Come on guys, let's be better than this.

1 person likes this.
  19. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

If we did take him I'd like him as a third round pick. Re-sign Mallett as the starter on a 3 year deal, and give Jones time to develop. On the third year if Cardelle is ready you can cut ties with Mallett or have him as the backup just in case since Cardelle will still be on a cheap contract

20. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

You forget that QB get hurt all the time. I bet he will play as a rookie because Mallet gets hurt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.