1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where is Terrence Jones?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by callmened, Dec 11, 2014.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Even with the encouraging news I would say its would still take a month for Jones to be the Jones we are used to seeing and thats barring no setbacks. He hasnt really participated in any sort of basketball activities of late and hasnt been with the team on road trips and I dont believe I've seen him at all the home games either (though he has been at a lot of them). The good news is that if Smith does sign with with Houston Jones doesn't have to rush back and run the risk of aggravating anything trying to get back on the court to help the team. Likewise the training staff will not have the same sort of pressure on team to get him back quicker.

Right now I wouldnt expect him to realistically to get meaningful minutes until around the all-star break

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I pray for his health day and night. I hope he will get well,and play brilliantly for us.

3. micah1j

micah1j Member

sounds good on T Jones. working out on treadmill and in the swimming pool. Sounds like he should return by the end of Jan.

4. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

The return on T-Jones soon? :D

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

McHale went out of his way to say he wouldn't be back on the court soon during that interview.

6. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Miss this guy tbh. :(

Trade filler:confused:

7. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Now that we have Smith, what's Jones' role going to be with Houston? Is he even going to get minutes?

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think we see the NO Pick + Jones + Shved/Cannan/KPop be traded for Dragic.

There's no playing time for Jones with Smith in there and Dmo establishing himself. It's a shame but hard to see how Jones would fit in.

You have Howard/Smith/Dmo. If each of those guys takes 28 minutes (conservative at best) that leaves you with 12 minutes for Jones.

9. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

and if one of them misses time - who else do we really have? we need all 4 of them just for depth. tjones could be around next year when smith is gone.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

don't forget that Smith may walk this summer.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Smith could walk - that's true. But unlikely if he has found a home as well.

I'm willing to take that risk to have a team this year of Howard/Harden/Smith/Dragic/Dmo/Brewer/Bev/Ariza/Terry

That's enough firepower on both ends of the court to win a chip. There's no guarantee that a year later you will have everyone healthy anyway. In my eyes, you play for the ring when you can get it.

It's worth the gamble.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Even if Smith walks, you just draft the next athletic 6'9 PF to be a backup, they aren't exactly rare.

13. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Sounds good to me.

14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Any sort of more recent update for TJ?

15. mario_v

mario_v Member

I hope tjones can come back soon. Watching smith play is awful. He's a turnover waiting to happen. He's a poor fit on this team.

I fully expect jones to start if he's conditioned and back 100% healthy.
    Dmo will come off the bench and smith will have to fight and earn his minutes coming off the bench.

16. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

lol no one is taking Dmo's spot

the one who is going to be fighting for minutes will be Jones

17. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

DMo is far better right now than jones ever was. Jones will have to play incredibly well if he wants his starting role back

18. mario_v

mario_v Member

Jones is a much better fit as a starter and next to Howard. He doesn't need the ball in his hands to be productive. He's the better athlete, finisher, pick n roller, rebounder, ball handler, shot blocker.

Dmo is no scrub. He's a great post up player, but he's not getting his touches in the post as long as Howard is starting.

If he's not getting his touches, he's not nearly as effective. He's better off coming off the bench as the sixth man.

When it comes to smith, lol. To quote tsherkin of realgm: "He's playing an absolutely moronic brand of basketball at a hilariously low level".

19. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

It's incorrect to say that DMo is playing "far better" than Jones ever has. DMo has been playing well, and he has a bright future. But, if you look at the statistics, you will see that DMo hasn't done far better than TJones. Jones averaged 12 points and 7 rebounds last season in 27 minutes per game. This year DMo is averaging 10.5 and 6 in 27 minutes per game.

You can make the argument that DMo is a better defensive player. But, I think Jones is a better rebounder. They are different players that have different strengths and weaknesses.

I really like both players a lot. They are both young and getting better. I don't care who starts or who comes off the bench. I just want the coaching staff to figure out what combinations of players work best together. Maybe it will turn out that Dwight and Jones play best together, or maybe Smith and DMo. I don't what the rotations will look like come playoff time.

Nothing wrong with having four big men who can play and contribute. I think we need to get past this DMo vs TJones business. They can both be good, they can both get minutes.

20. roidrage

roidrage Member

He was in a suit on Saturday day first I've seen the nerve damage guy