1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clutch, is this all?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JuanValdez, Jan 17, 2001.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not sure if this sentiment has already been expressed by others elsewhere. If it has, I haven't found it yet.

Obviously, Clutch, this is at least part of the mid-week news you were talking about: Dream wants out. But, is that really all?

1. It doesn't seem like big news at all. If this is it, I do feel led on. Hakeem has already said he's unhappy with his role and that he'd like to sign elsewhere. Asking that it happen before the season is over is not surprising. If this is it, I'll have to side with the "pansy ass" NewGuy on this one.

2. This can't be "the deal." Waiving him could be; trading him could be; signing him to an extension could be; but him asking for a trade or waive is not a "deal." It's just an event, if even that. You said there were several different scenarios possible and you weren't sure of all the players involved. We haven't yet entered any scenarios. There must be more.

3. You also said there is a handshake deal in place. With a handshake there is a promise. What promise is that? Did the Rockets promise not to sign him next season? That would be pointless and not news-worthy. Did they promise to trade or waive him before the deadline? That is more likely, regardless of what Dawson told the paper -- or rather what the paper chose to tell us. Or is this handshake over a particular trade ("I didn't say trade, I said deal.")?

I'm not asking you to divulge any still-secret particulars. I'm just asking: is there more to this than we yet know? If there is, let the speculation continue (mine would be that Dawson promised that Dream would not finish the season a Rocket). If it is all, then NewGuy was right: nothing special is happening.

------------------
    RealGM
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary
    Gafford Art
    Artisan

2. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

After much discussion, clutchcity.net would like to extend a warm welcome to the newest member of our **** list, JuanValdez. Congratulations.

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

LOL. [​IMG]

Juan, thanks for joining me on this distinct list.

I think that you misunderstood the 'middle of the week' comment. Clutch never said or wrote that the deal would occur midweek, just that everything would be clear midweek.

------------------
    We're going to stay together until something happens, if something happens. - Sidney Lowe on Shareef's career in Vancouver.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Thanks for the warm reception, Brian. [​IMG]

I will amend my comments according to Achebe's suggestion. Please replace "mid-week news" with "mid-week clarity." Unfortunately, my clarity is not so clear yet, I suppose, which is why I'm asking.

------------------
    RealGM
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary
    Gafford Art
    Artisan

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think Doc Rocket made it clear that there was a deal in place that the other team pulled off the table.

Is it coincedence that Dream goes public about the same time that the deal is suppose to go down? I think not.

Could it be that Dream got frustrated when he found out the deal was not going to go through? Timing would indicate so.

I absolutely think there was a deal on the table. And I absolutely think it has probably been pulled off...hince Dreams frustration and comments to the media. Before this is over with I expect Dream to either be traded or I think Rudy will promis to give Dream a bigger role on the team until the end of the season.

------------------

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think we already knew he wanted to be traded (it was mentioned a couple of months ago), but that still was a pretty flaming post by JuanValdez. Geez CoffeeMan... ease up. [​IMG]

------------------
    "I personally don't think Jordan would have enjoyed playing with himself." -- JeffB lets us all know that Popeye and Clutch aren't the only ones with inside sources... (also an example of a BBS "sound-bite")

7. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I hope this isn't all of the news, but I wont bellyache if it is...Hakeem isnt the cornerstone anymore.

------------------
    Who's ya daddy?

8. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

According to my sources there have been a lot of discussio

------------------

9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

According to my resources, something will happen before the year is over.

------------------
    Sometimes you gotta do the next best thing!

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

i agree

pushing Pippen69 down

11. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I dont agree.

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

12. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

JuanValdez,

One plan seems to have been to move Dream to another team with aspirations to be a force in the playoffs. Houston would have picked up at least one young front court player and some cap fillers with higher salaries with contracts expiriing this summer.

Another plan might have been for the Rockets to package more with Dream and obtain better quality talent with probably some overpaid talent attached to the player that the Rockets prized.

There probably is another scenario that I haven't accounted for, but was considered.

How many teams match the above mentioned criteria, while also being acceptable destinations to Dream? Very doubtful that the Rockets would trade him without letting him approve or disapprove.

Another factor to consider is Dream's statements about playing beyond this season. Do you think it is possible that the other team(s) had a general idea about what he would ask for to resign in summer 2001 if they decided to trade for him now? If his new team renounced him this summer, he would lose his Bird rights and significantly impact what he could earn next season if he desired to play on a team with hopes to have strong playoff performances (Phoenix, Lakers etc).

Would Dream be able to take being a caddy on a strong team as the Chief was with the Bulls at the end of his career? Very doubtful based on his disenchanment with taking a backseat to the Rockets youngsters.

Maybe the other team(s) got the results of his physical back and thought about all of the time that Dream has missed over the past season and a half and decided that it was too much of a risk.

The Rockets and Dream both needed many small factors to fall their way so a deal could be struck. Something went wrong and eventually it will be revealed in the fullness of time.

Since Dream was the primary focus of the rumored deal and that stalled; the backup plan might be to let the season conclude and go about retooling in the summer.

Mango

------------------
    Lets get the Mo Go working!
    Test Your NBA Trade Ideas
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

13. Redglare

Redglare Member

Perhaps THE cornerstone of the franchise asks to be traded or waived, and that's not big enough news for you? THAT isn't special?

Geez, some people.

------------------

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

sorry Mango,

This got caught in Operation Pippen69 Push.

Rising back to the top.