1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what could we get in a trade for dwight howard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bo6, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Chandler Parsons and he won't be offended.

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I didn't even bother with salaries and I doubt Atlanta would do it but what about Horford and Korver?

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If you could get a re-signed Kevin Love, I might go for it...

Move Dmo to the Center spot, have love at the stretch 4.....and get a backup Center and we are pretty much a better team overall.

DD

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

yesh. I know Dwight sucks right now, and Dmo is great in the post, but you think Rockets would be in a better position to win a championship with Dmo as the starting center?

Jesus Christ you guys! what are you saying?

5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I think at worst it is a lateral move - I don't think you need a STAR center to win in the NBA anymore - and DMo would be fine as a decent two way player - would be good to have a backup like the Birdman though if we went that route.

Because while we would be weaker at the Center spot, we would be a lot better at the PF spot.

I personally believe that Dwights FT shooting and him seemingly too stubborn to run the PnR all the time is something that could hurt our chances to win that ring.

DD

6. Harden4heisman

How could that be done?

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Someone on a "bad" contract.

Maybe Phil Jackson wants him again? :)

Nets? Deron, Joe or Brook?

Pistons will sell you all of Dumars' previous signings. Josh Smith, Brandon Jennings...wait too late for that. :)

Does Golden State still want Dwight? David Lee? Bogut and...Iguodala?

Roy Hibbert?

Chris Bosh?

Maybe Vivek wants to try the two-center approach?

Yeah, those are all terrible ideas. Guess they're stuck with Howard!

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

It's a fair question, and I've thought about it myself. I think there are very few teams that would be interested, or that would be able to absorb dwight's large contract.

Morey, I think would be very reluctant to trade Dwight after he chased after him for so long. He might even feel that it sends a bad signal to other potential free agents. Sign with Houston, then we will trade you.

I have thought that the most likely trade would be with Cleveland for Love. If things turn sour in both Houston and Cleveland, then maybe both teams could make a change and save face by saying they traded for another star player. However, I do not see Lebron wanting to play with Dwight. It just doesn't seem like those two guys would be able to work together.

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Really? I would think Lebron would be able to pass it to him and give him tons of dunks, and he would be the clear leader and allow Howard to play Robin, rather than try to be Batman - which he is more suited for...

DD

10. BamBam

BamBam Member

LOL...I can't tell who is trolling who now!...:(

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I understand you love Dmo very much but I'd rather let Howard walk and go after a free agent like Durant (even if we have no chance)

Kevin Love is not doing anything great right now.

I do not want him to be a leader on this team.
    Even worse leader than Dwight.

12. Kid So Fresh

Kid So Fresh Member

I'm more for Houston becoming a "sum of their parts" team like San Antonio. Also, Dwight is exponentially more valuable to Houston than anything or anyone we'd get in return. Even a star such as Love would make us far worse off especially on defense. He's not exactly holding down the fort with LeBron out of the lineup either.

Instead, I like the road we're currently on. Ideally as Dwight ages, Capela begins to tap into that lottery pick caliber raw potential of his. Kostas by this time has finally learned to shoot. Harden is still doing his top 3 player, MVP of this league thing. Donuts is going nuts in the post, and D12 begins to focus solely on being a Ben Wallace type as he continues to find ways to be impactful on defense.

13. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

Completely different situation...you're talking about the difference in a 23 year old sixth man of the year with big upside versus a 30 year old slightly undersized center with limited post moves and lingering injury concerns who has yet to prove himself as a leader. As an NBA GM, you gotta look 3-4 years down the road...what kind of player will Dwight be in 4 years?

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Member

He gots da clause of the no trade from Mordor. Gandalf the white couldn't wipe his albatross contract clean now.

15. Bay Rock

Bay Rock Member

I got to believe that Brooklyn would be the obvious trade partner. Dwight wanted to go to Brooklyn in 2012. Nothing on Brooklyn's roster I would want except for maybe Plumlee. Would need to be a 3 team deal to move Lopez or Johnson to in exchange for something we actually want. 3rd team PHX, Denver???

16. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I agree with most points people have posted, like few teams would be interested, and we wouldn't get fair value back, and it's just not something that's gonna be considered.

But I still feel that it's not likely that our team succeeds in the playoffs. If we're lucky, we get to the second round, but I don't even see that happening. Just saying. Don't know what our team needs to do to get better, just hope we start clicking more.

17. juanm34

juanm34 Member

We might be able to get bill Cartwright, John Paxon and pippen.
    But is rather go for Shawn kemp and sleepy Perkins.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I've said it in the past. Morey should trade Howard for Aldridge when there was a chance last year.

It would never happen because it was not a good PR move trading a star player right after you signed him. But that move would make a lot of sense. Portland needed a center. LMA was rumored to want out. We could get him plus some more assets for Howard. We still had Asik as our center and Jones and Motiejunas would provide good depth.

19. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I fully understand that, but with the way NBA contracts are. 2 players making as much as Howard make are LIKELY going to equal less than Howard.

If we find a gem on a cheap contract, they likely aren't willing to be traded for Howard.

Stars bring the most value in return because of the max contract rules. If we can find the right star to trade Howard for I'd have no issue with it.

I'd understand an argument for Love or Bosh for Howard, but to trade him for multiple lesser pieces doesn't make much sense to me.

20. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I think if Portland was going to give up on Aldridge, they'd likely be rebuilding or want someone who wanted to come there.

Considering how Howard was very picky on where he wanted to go, I don't think Portland would have been willing to go for that trade.