1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2014-15

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 29, 2014.

1. rogower

rogower Member

Channing Frye's contract is terrible. There is a 0% chance that Morey trades for Frye. I do think Morey wants to trade for Dragic and also a forward who can shoot the ball well but Frye is just way too expensive for what he is. I think the most realistic targets are Luol Deng and Danilo Gallinari, although keep in mind that Morey probably does not acquire his veteran forward until Feb 19.

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

I wouldn't call his contract "terrible". It's almost the exact same contract Ariza got. Ariza gives you wing defense and shooting (or at least he used to). Channing gives you post defense and shooting. Ariza is the better defender....Channing the better shooter. On the market they probably have similar values. They are the type of signings/trades you make when you are "close".

Dragic and Frye would give Harden and Dwight a wide open court to work with. I can't guarantee they are enough, but they get you closer to a championship than you are right now.

3. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

You're giving up too much for the proposed return. Especially with Dwight's recent "bone on bone" scare I can't see us moving DMo for anything that's available. Just my opinion.

4. rogower

rogower Member

Channing Frye is a big liability on the defensive end of the floor. NOT a good defender, at all.

Ariza is an excellent defender and was an excellent shooter as recently as last season. His shooting this season likely improves dramatically if the players around him (mostly at the other forward position) improve. It's not like the guy forgot how to shoot. Josh Smith IS NOT going to work and it was foolish for people to think he would.

5. Lithuanianbaske

Lithuanianbaske New Member

I really think that Houston don't need any trades. This team is able to win big games and against any team. The main thing to winning is coaching and team chemistry. In my opinion Mchale isn't the coach for this team. in order to win something has to changed is game plans and houston should stop shooting so many 3's because it's aint working at least now.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Wonder if the Pelicans would trade holiday.

7. wadero

wadero Member

Why all of the Dragic trades let not Bench are starting PG how about getting a Back up PG and a Back up for Harden.

8. zxcvbn193

zxcvbn193 Member

Jones, Ariza, Pelicans draft pick for Carmelo Anthony or Jones plus Beverley for Dragic.

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

That's not too much. It's a highway robbery (with Houston being the robbers).

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Not unless, they get a PG in return IMO.

11. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Shved?

12. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Jones doesn't have any trade value, right now.

And Melo isn't going anywhere. The Knicks will trade everybody else (already started with Schumpert and JR Smith) and fire the coach first, before trading Melo.

13. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Please explain to me how is this a highway robbery for us?? Dragic could walk away this summer ( half a season rental) and channing frye is not cheap and injury prone. so you could be giving up a good PG and a great PF/C and a lottery pick for the mentioned reasons.

14. rogower

rogower Member

I am not so sure about that. Carmelo Anthony has one of the 5-10 worst contracts in the league. He just signed this deal six months ago and the team is already talking about shutting him down for the season. And the Knicks have been absolutely terrible, as bad if not worse than the Sixers.

I think Phil Jackson would be tempted by an offer of expiring contracts, draft picks, and cheap, young players. But the trade mentioned earlier does not work. This works, I think:

All four expiring contracts (Jason Terry, Kostas Papanikolaou, Corey Brewer, Alexey Shved) plus either Terrence Jones or Donatas Motiejunas (plus maybe the Pelicans first round pick) to New York;

Carmelo Anthony plus filler to Houston

Note that this prevents you from trading for Goran Dragic or anybody else making more than about $2 mil or so, as you need these expiring contracts in order to make trades for big(ger) contracts work.

I will projectile vomit if Houston trades for Carmelo Anthony but I think Phil Jackson has to really think about dumping the $20+ mil/year contract of a player who cannot prevent you from having the worst record in the league. 5-32 is what their record is right now. $124 mil over five years for this guy is terrible. Terrible!

15. Stilldream'n34

Jason Terry and draft considerations for Jose Calderon.

Calderon's contract runs about maybe 1 season too many but he's a perfect fit. Morey could always easily trade him away if need be to free up space later so length of contract doesn't bother me much. Could play both guard spots with Harden or Beverley. Automatic from charity stripe and great 3 point shooter

16. basketballholic

Calderon has 2 more years left after this season and he is a zero defensively. Knicks would love to give him away at this point and would slobber over themselves at that deal.

17. rogower

rogower Member

Man, Tyson Chandler for Jose Calderon, what a bad trade.

Pablo Prigioni, now there is a Knicks PG to take a look at, if you can't get Goran Dragic or Ty Lawson...

18. basketballholic

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I think Pablo is on my trade list isn't he?

19. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

It's a highway robbery because Dragic is by far the best player in this deal. At his best, he can play at all star level. No other player in this deal is at that level. Motiejunas is an ok rotation player, not a "great PF/C," although that's probably just an expression.

If you think that Dragic won't stay, you obviously don't do that deal. But Phoenix wouldn't take Houston seriously if Houston says "oh well, Dragic may not stay with us, how about you give him to us for 10 cents on a dollar." Every team with Bird rights has a major advantage in re-signing a player, plus Phoenix is trying to make the playoffs.

If this deal is available, you absolutely do it, unless there's something I don't know about why Dragic won't want to stay? You do the deal and re-sign him. This deal would put you over the top.

As to Frye, how many games has Frye missed last season and this year? He had a heart issue in the past, but I don't think a team could call Orlando and try to milk that fact. Orlando will ask you what I asked you.

20. Zergling

Zergling Member

[​IMG]

How does either team say no? Cleveland lost Varejao and desperately needs rim protection. Rockets get their chance to get very good value for a player that is clearly in decline and doesn't fit with our desire to play efficient basketball on offense. This also allows the Rockets to unleash Motiejunas as our starting center instead of worrying about him blowing up on another team.

Oh yeah, and we get that Kevin Love guy that Morey/McHale would love to have. Love is only on a 1 year deal essentially so Cavs have more security with having Dwight for at least another year (Love by the way seems miserable in Cleveland). The Rockets also get some decent shooters in Harris/Dellavedova (needed to match salaries).

Motiejunas
    Love
    Ariza
    Harden
    Beverley

This team will skyrocket on offense! Losing Dwight means taking a hit on defense, but don't underrate D-Mo's defense. The upgrade on offense more than makes up for the loss of Dwight's defense (which also is in decline btw)