1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Liquor] Best bang for your buck

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Dec 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Not an alternative to Crown. 40 creek is far superior to Crown.

Sobieski is another really good vodka for <$15 for a 750ml.

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Was going to start a new thread, but I think this fits here. What's in your bar?

Also, where's the best place to find limited edition whiskeys? I'd like to have a taste of rare stuff before all the hype and crazy appreciation

4. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

What are you Tito's folks talking about? Tito's isn't much cheaper (if at all) than Sky/Stoli/Absolute. I believe the OP is looking for the best balance between price and taste. I love Tito's, but great value it is not.

I'm a vodka man - not by trade, only by habit and reputation - and I've tried them all... sometimes you're on the road (not literally), out of state, or otherwise in foreign territory but still need a nip. If value is your #1 criteria, the best of the bunch in my mind is SVEDKA, a Swedish Vodka. It's smooth, but not the smoothest. Clean, but not without imperfections. Like all vodka, it's best chilled in the freezer until it pours out like maple syrup and frosts up your glass instantly. The best part? Spec's sells a handle (all glass bottle, mind you) for under $20 (cash or debit, of course). I've never seen it anywhere (and I've bought it everywhere) for more than $24.99.

Drink up and enjoy!

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

SVEDKA is rubbing alcohol. I bought a bottle and the only thing I can use it for is first aid.

#25 REEKO_HTOWN, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Try some Khortytsa

7. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

My bro would agree with you. He also prefers it to Crown.

8. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Titos is the no brainer on the cost vs quality comparison. It's better than grey goose or any of those other name brand vodkas and typically less than half the price.

And most importantly, TEXAS.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

10. toby

toby Member

Cotton Hollow Bourbon

11. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

smirnoff 100 proof vodka 375 ML 8.99 in utah

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Tito's blows everything you just mentioned away... along with more "expensive" vodkas.

That's why it wins.

Close this thread!

13. likestohypeguy

Tito's & Rebecca's creek. CAnt go wrong.

Lunazul tequila used to be my number one, up there in terms of bang for the buck, but they seem to have gotten more expensive in the past few years.

shut up

14. ashiin

ashiin Member

Who needs bang for your buck liquors when you can drink original Four Lokos.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good suggestions but mostly vodka... and I'm not the biggest vodka fan. Still, I'll give Tito's a shot.

16. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

For a real budget bourbon, best bang for your buck to me is Evan Williams Black. A 1.75L runs you $20, mixes great, and is drinkable on the rocks. Moving up from EWB, I'd go with Jim Beam Black, which is awesome at less than $20 for a 0.75L. If you can score Buffalo Trace or Wild Turkey 101 at that price, those are also great, but it's getting hard to find BT and WT101 at those price points anymore. The only affordable wheated bourbon (ala Makers Mark and Pappy Van Winkle) that tastes way better than it costs is Weller Special Reserve, which is downright cheap at $30 for a 1.75L. Weller 12 and Weller Antique 107 are also great buys at around $25-27 for 0.75L.

You used to be able to get a lot of amazing, cheap rye, but those days are long gone. Rittenhouse 100 is probably my recommendation, but I liked it a lot more at under $20 than I do at closer to $30.

I don't drink my clear liquors straight, so I tend to go for "good enough." For tequila, El Jimador Silver makes a great margarita (2 parts tequila, 1 part triple sec, 1 part lime), though both Hornitos and Cazadores are worth a splurge when they're on sale. I'll echo the recommendations of Monopolowa vodka and Cruzan 2 Year light rum. For gin, Gordon's is the only thing I've found that makes a decent martini at a price lower than your standard Beefeater or Bombay Sapphire.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Evan Williams fo sho.

18. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Rebecca Creek is good, but definitely not cheap. 35 for a fifth or 45 for a 1.75. Really good stuff though. I did the tour a few years back.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Add me to the Espolon tequila recommendation. Olmeca Altos and El Jimador are both good bargain tequilas. Milagros is not bad either.

20. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I also like getting Texas Crown if it's not going to be going to my personal supply. Everyone always seems to like it, and it's fairly cheap.