1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jayzers_100, Jul 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. basketballholic

dude, I could post crap after every one of your posts saying the exact same things you just said here. We could all do that. I'm pointing out to you that this makes the board worse. It's juvenile. Please stop it. If you can't talk Rox or basketball just shut it down. You move on to another board if you can't stay dialed in to Rockets. Considering someone a stubborn poster is one thing. Ranting about it when we're talking about the Rockets is another thing entirely. Everything you just said there about fantasy trades, etc. I can delve back through your own post history and find you doing the same things. Just stop it already. Talk Rockets or go somewhere else.

2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Why would the Rockets get "Boshed" here and to who? He isn't going to Memphis.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I have 16 or 17 posts in this thread. All but the one about arguing with DD, which was made in jest, and now these responding to you were about basketball. Either about players or contracts.

Just move along jop.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't think it's fair to call it being Boshed no matter where he goes. He isn't some superstar that the GM is making roster decisions based on that will ultimately spurn us.

If Josh Smith signs in Dallas I'm sure there will be people here who go nuts, but it won't materially impact the decisions this team makes about the roster.

Bosh shifted the entire offseason for the Rockets.

5. basketballholic

There have been multiple useless comments directed towards DADA. You just happened to jump on the bandwagon too. I'm pointing it out to you and everyone else. It's useless clutter and it's juvenile. You shouldn't have done it. I'm not defending DADA. I'm defending the point. Talk about the Rockets. Not about DADA and the posters. IF you want to discuss what you think of all the posters here, go start a thread in D&D and have at it. But not here please.

6. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Agreed for some reason message forum is a place people love to clown others, it is as if they don't do it enough in RL so they do it on the internet. Stick to Rockets talk or go away.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Anonymity of the internet. Unfortunately for DD, he doesn't have it. Everyone knows who he is and how he looks like in real life. He doesn't hide behind the internet. For that I give him pops. He seems like a genuine good guy.

8. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

This is going to feel strange typing but I agree with BBH on this. There's been good debate and differences of opinion here on the subject of Smith, but having seen a few personal swipes going both directions does nothing good for this forum. It's easy to move from critiquing the pov to the poster, but please try to keep it focused on the subject matter even if others aren't playing nice.

9. romain

romain Member

We have to sign Josh Smith in order that no other teams get him. It's so decided.

10. Classic

Classic Member

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

And on that note, signing Josh Smith would be a mistake. All it will accomplish is diminishing playing time for 2 young and talented pfs who are leagues ahead of him in terms of efficiency. The Rockets already have one of the least efficient offenses in the league. Defense and James Harden is what is keeping this team at pace with the rest of the elite Western Conference. Adding another low efficiency volume scorer to the mix who couldn't produce at an acceptable level on a bottom dweller in the East just doesn't make sense .

12. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

People are more willing to accept specific, relatively reduced roles when they see an attainable goal and respect the people in their group.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He only recruits if doing so ensures he gets a new contract sooner.

14. marky :)

marky :) Member

I'm assuming you're talking about DMo and TJones but as I mentioned before TJones is hurt so that leaves possibly just DMo, Dwight, and Smith. 96minutes available for PF/C divided by those three and they could play 30mins a game. That's plenty of minutes for all 3 of them.

15. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Merry Christmas DaDa, but I thought you'd "said your piece (= essay in multiple posts)". But this one just confuses me. Two years???

No one is going to sign him until he clears waivers. We can sign him for essentially $600k more than other teams we're worried about.

I'd rather have his butt on our bench than him being mediocre on any team in the WC.

To not go after Smith with every ounce of effort would:

1) Make Morey look like an idiot for pursuing him at around $14 mil.

2) Assume McHale's so clueless that he doesn't know when to bench an idiot PF.

3) Assume Harden would allow said idiot to do what he wants, or McHale/Morey wouldn't care what he thinks if James wants him out.

4) Neglect to applaud Smith's brilliant suckiness for getting Detroit to eat $25 mil. and go to a contender.

We do this, and with great joy. Be happy.

16. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Back on topic, I keep picturing Antoine Walker in his first year with the Heat and how well he did playing a role on that team. He still shot a lot of 3's but at a pretty decent clip. He seemed like he reigned it in since he was on a good team again. Hopefully Smith can do the same thing as they have similar inefficient flaws but are capable of putting up big numbers on successful playoff teams.

The same trade that brought Walker to the Heat in the 05-06 season also brought in James Posey (Corey Brewer) and Jason Williams (Alexey Shved). Granted the players are different and acquired before the season even began but I think Morey is trying to infuse the team with talented spark plugs with some worts that will most likely(hopefully) buy into the team concept the way guys like Posey, Williams, Walker, Mark Aguirre and many others have done as mercenaries over the past couple of decades for championship teams. If it doesn't work, we can trade, bench, or waive them without too much issue.

Josh Smith's 09-10 season with the Hawks was his best IMO because he only shot 0.1 3's a game and over 50% 2pter's. I don't mind him taking 1-2 3's a game to prove that he can hit that shot when left open but the long 2's will have to go and almost certainly will on this team. He is actually shooting only 1.3 3's a game this year. It is his abysmal long 2's that is bringing his average down. I am sure the lane is clogged constantly with 3 PF's on the court at the same time.

I would like him as a 25-30 minute a night PF with spot minutes at C against smaller teams with crappy centers. He will work well with DMo and with Dwight. He will be somewhat interchangeable with DMo when they are both on the court. He needs to watch tape on guys like Lamar Odom to see what they did to earn a championship on both ends of the court.

1 person likes this.
  17. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

One thinks it might be somewhat humbling to have the team that you chose pay you to go away after 1.5 years, too. I seriously doubt the Rockets are making any big promises to Josh Smith right now. He is probably ready to win some basketball games. At $2 mil., I really don't see the harm. He makes the Rockets a deeper, more versatile team.

18. delishman

delishman Member

That's all for today.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Agree with you, keep speaking, doesn't matter if some on here fling poo.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The problem with that is that it ruins the forums, and if the focus is me, that also contributes to that ruination.

I would prefer to have this about basketball and not about my opinions etc.

Now, I got a bit out of hand in here arguing about Josh Smith, I take responsibility for that.

No need to speak further about it, nothing that anyone says in here will make any difference in whether he comes or not.

DD

1 person likes this.