1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jayzers_100, Jul 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I don't trust Harden, Howard and McHale to keep him in line.

2. Rokman

Rokman Member

DEFENSE. Which is what that post was about. Harden is just now coming around on displaying some. I'm talking about proven disruptive defenders and Brewer is still ranked a better defender than Harden. Just because he is actually playing D this year does not make him legit. Just 3 months ago he was the joke of the league and he is still trying to earn some recognition. He has to remain consistent though.

On guarding the last play of a game, I want that lineup on the court 10 times out of 10!

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Done deal, IMO.

Strong mutual interest
    Fits a role
    Money
    Playoff team
    Best man would be a teammate
    Smith likes it here. (aka parties here)

4. NeonTiger

NeonTiger Member

Can someone Photoshop J Smith in a Christmas gift box
    This is a done deal

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Really? Jones is already better on the 'I am not necessarily needing to chuck up majority of shots that belong to Harden, Ariza, Beverley....' Bball IQ

6. Dick Dijon

Dick Dijon Member

"I just play basketball," he said. "I'm a basketball player. People try to throw statistics in there. I'm not one to look at where I am on the court (when I shoot).

"I'm confident in each and every play I make. I don't think about it. I just play and play with confidence."

NBA veteran Josh Smith on shot selection, January 2014
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2014/01/14/josh-smith-nba-detroit-pistons/4480085/

So let's sign him, run our offense, and hope he does not get the ball outside the paint.

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

He wont play of he does'nt adapt to our philosophy... he is a great fit if he would stop taking long jump shots and on a team like ours if he doesn't Mchale will pull him.

8. Rokman

Rokman Member

I should have explained myself more clearly, last play of the game, that's your defensive unit.

9. Ol Bill Worrell

I understand that to an extent but someone got to Harden to shift his attention/focus to the defensive end. It's worth the risk because as of now we are not a TRUE NBA championship contending team. Are we beating GS, SAS, MEM in a 7 game series?

You can never have enough good defenders.

1 person likes this.
  10. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And there remains one more potential hurdle in all of this. Rondo and Smith were teammates at Oak Hill. They've always said publicly that teaming up together would be a dream. Don't count out the Mavs. (Just threw up a little)

11. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

The beauty about getting Smith at a low cost: we can still do another move (for Dragic?). One of of Ariza, Brewer or KPap will be dealt and one of DMo or TJones will be dealt. All of these should have decent value on the market, add the Pelicans pick and we have one of the best trade offers available.

Smith would cost us 2 million per year. That's not even half of what KPap or Terry are making. Like I said, he is flawed, but he brings a lot to the table. The biggest question mark is: would he understand his role? If he would, this is a no brainer, if he wouldn't it would still make sense...

12. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Dwight was Josh's best man at the wedding. ;)

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

McHale likes Donuts taking 3's. How many in the game threads scream for posting him up?

If he doesn't work out it could kill chemistry. I think it is a gamble. Not a 100% safe move like Brewer was.

2 people like this.
  14. Stilldream'n34

So who gets traded or waived?

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As long as we know that having him for couple years and not as the ultimate prize and 'dream target' I am ok with it.

Another cobble stone on the way to GREATER FINER THINGS

16. ggeorge115

ggeorge115 Member

lol im sorry but i dont think mchale has the pop like mentality lol he doesnt have the balls to pull a player out of the game just cuz of one bad defensive or offensive possession

1 person likes this.
  17. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

I'd rather have Rudy Gay as a stretch 4 lol...

18. marky :)

marky :) Member

Agreed. For the price we're getting him this is a no brainer as it still gives us moves in the future to do. Another pretty good reason is to keep him away from the Mavs.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Rondo is a tough guy, even though he can hardly shoot the ball. He can set Smith up on the fast break and increase his FG percentage, I admit. He simply wouldn't allow him to take many poor shots, even if he was demanding the ball.

Who can do that for us? Harden to some extent, and we will have to see if Shved can become a secondary passer for us. K-Pap and Ariza might be able to help there to some extent. Can Howard rein him in?

I still feel Josh Smith is too inefficient for us, but the situation with Jones has put us in a difficult position despite D-Mo's progress.

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

But he won't start in Dallas. I think that's a problem for him.