1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vermont Approves Single-Payer Health Care

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

2. Northside Storm

I can disparage the government as well as any libertarian out there, but when someone points out a stunning failure as representative of any group, I think it behooves someone to point out an equally, if not more, stunning success, especially when one happens to be the prerequisite that another was built on.

3. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

I agree.

MG

4. ling ling

ling ling Member

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Are you asking for yourself or hypothetically?

Don't worry ling, I'm sure you could fit in.

6. ling ling

ling ling Member

I'm sure I could fit in anywhere. I'm a net payer.

7. Northside Storm

I don't know, quite a few immigrants have chosen Canada and the UK, and I don't exactly see the NHS crumbling anytime soon.

8. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

You must be very proud.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Agree. F***ing park rangers

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm sure all of those uneducated minorities are frothing at their poor uneducated mouths with the thought of being able to leach off those Vermont whities. The exodus will be unparalleled in human history. How will those Vermont white boys cope with all the poor coloreds moving in?

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It is all they got when trying to argue against single payer as real world facts won't help them.

12. shorerider

shorerider Member

I lived in Texas for 20 years and Canada for the last 10, and let me tell you I would never, ever, EVER give up Canada's single payer system for the private insurance nightmare down in the USA. It is probably the best thing about living here. It's so sad that this topic has been politicized in the US due to the greed of special interests.

Here in Canada the are primary health clinics more numerous than McDonald's and they are all walk-in - I've never waited more than 20min to see a doctor, and have never seen a bill.

The system is largely funded by income tax. People think that income tax is outrageous here, and it is higher, but when you figure in what you pay out of pocket down there (even with insurance), some people would probably have an effective tax rate of 50% or more.

I mean honestly, set politics aside in your brain for a moment and ask yourself: If you had an emergency happen to you or family member, and were rushed to the hospital, would it be any comfort to you to know that you will not be sacked with a monstrous bill? How about not ever seeing a bill at all?

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's all the same government.

14. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

The distinguishing line exists only in the minds of the anti-government pundits and the people who choose to believe their bullsh!t. As in any organization, there is certainly waste and inefficiency in government and we should definitely work to reduce both. However, the organization which is #1 on the "manipulates and distorts" list is Fox "News" and their echo chamber.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/...e-payer-health-care-113653.html#ixzz3MCqtWw88

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

For contributing to society I say well done.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

18. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Agreed. I want single payer healthcare/Medicare for All for every American.

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Non sequitur, but if you've never been to the state I highly recomended it. It can be stunningly beautiful - parts look like the American fantasy of what all of Ireland is supposed to look like - emerald green grassy windswept hills as far as the eye can see.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I've been there for extended stay numerous time so I know a bit about what you are talking about. My very conservative friend had an accident on a ski slope in Canada. It changes his mind on what he been fed about their health care system.