1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Do You Feel About Jason Terry Now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ima_drummer2k, Nov 13, 2014.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Excellent post. You are on point. I've already noticed a big difference in terms of leadership on the floor when he is there.

2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I hope we keep Terry around for a couple of years. He could be a mentor to guys like Canaan, Johnson, and Daniels.

Dude is 37 and easily out playing any of our guards.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is proving to be invaluable to us.

4. the shark

the shark Member

He'll become even more valuable come playoff time (if he's healthy).

5. basketballholic

Sure I considered that. And I also considered that we might not get a trade done at all and he stays here for a playoff run. All those things are a possibility.

But...he's a trade piece as an expiring contract as long as we are trying to acquire a player. Jason Terry hasn't been a starter in this league for like 7 or 8 years now. There's a reason he hasn't. That is because his handle is poor and his defense is poor. And now on top of that he's 37 years old. If he's starting games for us in the playoffs you can mark it down we are in big trouble as guys like CP3, Tony Parker, Conley, etc. will be licking their chops to play against him.

On a healthy playoff/championship contender, Terry is like the 11th man, at best an end of the rotation player, playing spot minutes in certain situations only. He very well could be traded and is undoubtedly in the group of Rockets players most likely to be traded. I give him full credit for still maintaining a very high skill set in what he does well.....namely shooting the basketball. Dude is an incredible shooter. But he's not irreplacable. We've got a young gun sitting on the bench in Troy Daniels. Terry is getting Daniels' minutes right now. We may need Terry (or somebody) right now because both Bev and Canaan are down but if those guys get healthy we don't need Terry nearly as much. And....if we trade for a premier point guard we for sure don't need Terry nearly as much. He's a trade piece.

6. basketballholic

If he is playing 20+ minutes a game in the playoffs he will be E-X-P-O-S-E-D.

7. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Terry is playing the Shane Battier glue guy role.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

He certainly provides a steadying presence when he is on the court. He is still very crafty and can shoot the three. Great signing by Morey.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I still hate the guy for all he did in the past to the Rockets.

That being said he has been so much more than expected for this team in a positive way. Sure he may not be a great defender and it gets exposed, but he never was that great of a defender and he is much older now. The leadership he brings to this filled with a lot of young guards has been essential. Not to mention his energy - that is something I did not expect to see from him at all. I believe being in semi bad to bad situations the last few years (boston, brooklyn and sacramento) made him appreciate the chance he has in the twilight of his career to be able to possibly win another ring. I am sure he is letting the young guys know that its not to be taken for granted. Watching the clips he is the guy greeting his teammates off the floor first - games at home he is getting the crowd into and showing a lot of emotion and passion-- something fans love to see. I think outside of Beverley you dont really see that from our players. Harden does it on occasion and when the players do that you can't but help as a fan get loud as well. Terry has carved out a very very solid NBA career. 6th man award winner and consistently finding himself being a big piece of winning teams. He also went from being a legit starter to understanding the need to help his team win to coming off the bench the last 8 seasons (including this one) I think that plays a big role in trying to mentor young guys like Canaan and Johnson and even Beverley that they all can be big pieces to a team and help a team achieve the highest levels of success without the need necessarily to be a starter.

I hope he doesnt play as many minutes as he does right now once Beverley and Canaan return from their injuries, as with his age his experience and shot will be needed down the stretch run. I guess its not too bad at the moment since he really didn't play at all last season but its not going to be good going forward if he consistently sees 25+ minutes.

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

What a great addition Terry has been. He's bringing more than just leadership, he still has game. He shoots great from everywhere (not just 3's), he's playing solid defense, and he can still take guys off the dribble and create a shot. He's making big shots too hitting those early 3's vs MEM. We were on the verge of being blown out down 8-0. He's playing too many minutes now due to injury, but he's great for the bench and his experience will be great during the playoffs. Rockets are a legit 9-10 man deep once everyone gets healthy.

Terry has been a huge pickup. Future looks good!

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Last night Terry was picking apart Minnesota on some midrange fires.

It was awesome to watch.

He is money when open as well.

I wouldn't trade him. I think he will prove to be very beneficial come post season.

12. Mr Chuck Norris

never in my wildest dreams did i envision myself doing the Jet pose...Much less xcheer for him. But I love this guy......I can't believe it.

13. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Rather have Terry than Parsons for the price point, nice swap! :p

1 person likes this.
  14. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

I must admit the sheer thought of him wearing our jersey made my stomach turn.... Never thought he'd make it to training camp but wow...... Now I was we could have gotten a few years ago when we traded for harden.... I think he's been great for him......

GO ROCKETS

15. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

He exposed someone last night, anyone got that gif ready? Was is Dieng he crossed up?

Still got gas in the tank!

16. kemah

kemah Member

Last night during the game Bullard mentioned that when Terry came that Mchale said that he told Terry that he envisioned him to be a good locker room influence and Terry told him that he would do what ever was needed and asked of him but he then told the coach outright that he could still play the game.

He has indeed done everything for us and Morey got a great deal for him. I am concerned about the heavy minutes though and wearing him down by the end of the season. By then I hope Canaan and Bev are up to strength.

17. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

I Never hated him and don't understand how someone could hate a player for doing well against us. Its not like ever did anything malicious to our past teams or ever spoke badly of houston.

When someone becomes a rocket i cheer for them no matter what...Unless they suck.

18. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

Jason Terry is exactly who we thought he was.......

19. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I cheer for them even if they suck, pshh fair weather fan:grin:

20. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I wish the playoffs ended right now and everyone miraculously became healthy.

JET would go off on his former team.