1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gary Payton on Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets88MT, Nov 18, 2014.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I still maintain that you have to win something FIRST before you can be "hated". DH hasn't won a ring so what is there to hate? Because he's always clowning and grinning? Is he a dirty player who takes cheap shots? Does he intentionally try to injure other players? About the only thing I can see if that he's a goofball whose commitment to winning is suspect and that's nowhere near enough to be as "hated" as folks around here make it out. I simply don't care about any of this "noise" coming from ex-players, blogs, op-ed pieces, radio bits, podcasts and twitter - all I am focused on is wins and loses and what happens in the playoffs.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

GP is so out of line here. As a retired and respected veteran of the league and the fact that HE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW DWIGHT as a person. This shows zero class, and even if he is right, I lost alot of respect for him as a classy human being.

Second of all.... in a dark alley way, you think you'd have your way with him because???.... of your fighting skills???... or... I hate to say this, but the fact that GP would probably be packing heat.

GP... You don't know Dwight, and you don't know the exchange between KD and Dwight that happened, and you don't speak on behalf of all the current players in the league. STFU old-timer.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its not that anyone should be afraid of Dwight even though they should. However, why would anyone in their right mind talk trash and F with Dwight when Cisco Garcia and Pat Beverley are sitting there waiting for something to go down that requires their assistance?

But yes, I think its only a matter of time before Dwight explodes. I just hope its sooner rather than later so we can get him back in time for when the season matters. I'd gladly be totally fine with him body-slamming some little punk like a Matt Barnes to let the league know that oh... FYI... Dwight is large physical specimen and shouldn't be F-ed with.

4. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

You're looking awfully Mr. Potato Heady, Gary Peyton. That glove just went from a medium to a XXXL!

5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I never seen GP fight anyone, dude was just a **** talker and that's it lol.

6. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Seems legit.

Just because you have 1 post move doesn't mean you're soft.

Drop some beans on some muhhhf@ck3rs. Show them soft, then let em say you can't control your emotions.

Have a wish a nicca would forearm waiting for these suburban NBA players calling you soft. You know they don't even lift bro.

1 person likes this.
  7. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

LOL...Don't think people understand how strong D12 actually is. I'm a powerlifter...i've seen video of this cat pushing 300+ lbs on the bench like it was nothing. What makes it more impressive is that his wingspan is massive. He's ridiculously strong; that physic didn't happen by accident. He's not a fighter or doesn't care to fight. Maybe because he's an adult with restraint and if you don't fight then you're a P$ssy to the masses but it's really stupid. I bet you know one throws a punch at him.....throw one and see what happens.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I don't get why players don't like Dwight. Gary didn't really explain it besides he saying he smiles a lot. lol wut? seriously, what is Dwight doing that gets players to dislike him? I must have missed it

9. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

So is this like Russell Wilson "not being black enough"?

I thought after Malice in the Palace, the NBA was trying to encourage players to be less thug and more pillar of the community.

So now Howard is getting dinged cause he's not "thug life" enough, one that gets into fights, and packs heat to match Gary Payton packing heat in an alley way?

Ridiculous.

I would be surprised if Durant could bench 85 lbs. Skinny super models have more muscle than that guy. And Payton had to piggyback onto a 2006 Heat team as an old vet cause he couldn't do it on the Supersonics.

I actually like that Howard isn't assaulting people in night clubs, getting weapons charges, etc. I consider that a good thing, but what do I know.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We won the game vs Memphis and it is the only thing that matters!

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ya he was not only incoherent, but unable to even address the question at all. if dwight had on his angry face all game instead then opponents would love him? :confused:

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If the glove don't fit...into a suit.

1 person likes this.
  13. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

You need a timeout. Your negative shtick was never funny.

14. hmittal

hmittal Member

Its all about winning at the end of the day. Dwight needs to take a lesson from all this and be the better man and just play ball. All these antics from other players are just distractions. KD needs to stop hating because him and his punk ass PG Westbrook got hurt. People will always have sour grapes. Go Clutchcity!

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He's right though..

Everyone is using Dwight's size as a reason why he's not soft or why he wouldn't be messed with..but that doesn't disprove anything GP said. It's just perception. People assume a bigger guy is dangerous to F with, but it's not always true. Some dogs bark ferociously and will come after you but others will just bark and then back off...somewhere along his career, players realized Dwight is all bark. The more they learned about him, the more they realized he didn't grow up facing serious physical confrontations. Watching his documentary, they are probably right...

They would leave him alone if he stopped talking to them, but he continues to go back and forth...sometimes even starting it, as it appears he did with Kobe..Thats where the fake stuff comes from.

I'm not going to lie..part of me wants someone to put a hand on Dwight, so he'll finally react and put out some of these fires, but I'm not sure if that reaction will be what we'd expect.

16. Gertso

Gertso Member

I can't barely recognize him. Holy crap!

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

What sport is this, basketball or hockey? Yao was pushed, thrown around, and insulted and never fought back. It would be Steve and Cat that would stick up for him on the court. Why does that ultimately matter? Why do players need to be dogs that will bite? Why can't they just be genuinely good dudes?

Dwight didn't start anything with Kobe. He got the rebound and Kobe was grabbing at his arms. The refs' calls reflected that. If anything, Kobe was trying to provoke Dwight because the Lakers were getting beat down.

18. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

That suit. The pressure the collar is putting on his neck. He was a couple more words from busting out of that ****.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

dwight needs to just make one opponent an example of. not throw a punch or elbow, but literally pick one of these hobo's up and toss him across the hardwood -- so that he glides downcourt a good 10-15 feet. once that shows up on sportscenter highlights, basically nobody is going to F with him anymore. additionally, refs are going to start calling fouls against him much tighter in order to avoid any further confrontations.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I don't make the rules...that's how they see Dwight, even if he is a good guy. Even they know he is, but I imagine in competitive sports, it's really annoying to have someone talking and then backing off repeatedly. I think they see him as using the pro setting to talk back to guys, knowing someone will step in soon and/or others will hold back to not get suspended.

Kobe did start fouling, but what did Dwight do? He started talking first. Other nice guys, like a Battier, would let things die after the foul, or simply not throw an elbow. Dwight did seem like he wanted to get that shot in.

Not the best example, since Kobe is all talk too, but it didn't help Dwight, especially considering the size difference between them. Some opposing players will see it as Dwight using the game to go after a smaller player...typically frowned upon. Elbow someone your size our just back off.

Basically, guys respect guys like Yao more. Maybe he didn't defend himself, but he at least didn't act like he was. Sure, players went at him on the court, but they didn't question his manhood and try to embarrass him as a person, like with Dwight. More respect for knowing who you are and being true to that.

#40 RV6, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014