1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Isaiah Canaan is a good player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by baubo, Nov 9, 2014.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

We just barely scraped out wins against what is arguably the worst team in NBA history and another team so completely decimated by injuries that it's actually in play that - while they are legit title contenders - may not be able to make the playoffs. We just set a team record for lowest point total in a victory. If there's a such thing as a "moral victory," the last two games were "moral losses."

Don't fall in love with our cupcake schedule. I have absolutely no idea what we have in our team right now, but if we roll out another stinker against the Grizzlies, it's not gonna be pretty.

My real hope is that, despite all the lip service, they fell for the trap game phenomenon twice in a row. That was awful, awful basketball yesterday.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I was a bit surprised to see Canaan not play last night. Maybe there genuinely weren't any minutes for him, but having done a complete 180 on my "Canaan can't contribute to a winning team" stance as of two weeks ago, I hope he's able to get some playing time tonight when we face an even better defense.

3. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

My theory:

It has been stated that IC has had issues with adjusting to the immense playing time while he has been starting in lieu of bev, which means he will probably play 20 mins tonight with fresh legs.

4. kh0001

kh0001 Contributing Member

This is a game we should have won by 20. The offense was so ugly, and so predictable:
    a) Give the ball to Harden, and watch....
    c) Give the ball to Howard, and watch....

May be I am totally wrong, but I start to think we are 9-1 because Patrick is not playing.

5. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

How come Cannan didn't play yesterday? Was he hurt?

6. RacerJoeD

RacerJoeD Member

Long time reader, first post. I have watched him play since his freshman year in college.

Some insight into the type of player Canaan is.

+physical
    +fast
    +underrated athletically
    +legit 45% 3 pt shooter
    +85% FT
    +confidence
    +desire to be coached/to learn

Areas he can and probably will improve upon

-finishing against bigs at the rim
    -tends to defer too much looking for extra pass
    -defense

Things you are stuck with and won't change

-he is 6'

The Rockets got a steal drafting him where they did. He is an NBA rotation player now with upside to being possibly a long term NBA starter. The kid just gets better at the end of the game. What is interesting is that the negatives I listed are very similar to what he did his freshman year in college. Surrounded by lots of talent, he had trouble early on with those three areas. By the end of his first year, he had shown massive improvement.

7. opticon

opticon Member

Rumor is he might be part of a deal. If he does not play tonight I have to believe that rumor has legs.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've not heard any rumors regarding him. It wouldn't surprise me. However, him playing tonight or not would not be much further proof that he is being traded. He could easily just not be favored by McHale as the 2nd PG over Terry when Beverley is well. Either way, him not playing tonight would fit both likely scenarios. Now if the Rockets are up by 30 and he doesn't play...that would be a sign he is a goner.

9. delishman

delishman Member

#KeepCalmAndPlowOn

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That may explain why I haven't heard anything.

11. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

That rumor started in the game thread. Lol.

12. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

He's the only player outside of Harden that can attack the paint on this roster. He is a solid defender, and a nice sparkplug. If he doesn't get minutes tonight....

13. ling ling

ling ling Member

He's the only player outside of Harden that can create his own shot.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

Canaan still can't get any minutes. Amazing.

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

Haha....spoke too soon. Still amazing that it's takin this long.

16. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

after this game i dont think mchale will bench him like that again even when Bev comes back.

17. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

If McHale benches Canaan again when Bev comes back, then he is the stupidest coach in the NBA. Period. Hell, if Canaan was playing more Bev might not be getting hurt as much from overplaying and overexerting himself.

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The issue is that Mchale has made Terry our defacto back up PG...while a younger Terry might have been more proficient, an older Terry needs someone creating him shots. Basically Terry should be used as Harden's breather...not as Beverley's backup.

19. ksny15

ksny15 Member

The worst part about IC playing well is McFail will bench him once Bev comes back as usual

20. dje243

dje243 Member

When everyone is healthy rotation should be:

Bev/Canaan
    Harden/Terry
    Ariza/Pap
    DMO/Jones/Pap
    Dwight/Black

Canaan needs to be in the JLin role off they bench. DMO plays too solidly on D to keep him out of the starting lineup.