1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On like Donkey Kong: Obama Said to Plan Moves to Shield 5 Million Immigrants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Oh, I know you, lol. Hey dude. See you around.

2. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

LOL, was wondering when you'd snap.

3. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I think the whole idea of immigration reform is to get these people processed, paying taxes, and abiding by the laws...rather than spending money to deport people who are a very real part of our economy

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My brother-in-law married a Mexican born American citizen who has two kids from a previous marriage. The older of the two kids, well in her 20's now, was born in Mexico because her mother was feeling sick and went home to be with her mother, not thinking at all about the whole citizenship thing. The baby was in Mexico all of 2 or 3 months, and spent the rest of her life in the United States. Her younger brother was born in Texas and is a citizen, of course, just like his mother and my Texas born brother-in-law. My brother-in-law is very well off, and spent tens of thousands of dollars trying to keep his step-daughter in this country. She could stay while she was in school, and after she graduated, as long as she was a professional athlete. She does triathlons and eventually had an injury that kept her from competing as a professional. That caused the US government to tell her that she could no longer live in the United States. This is someone who lived in this country all her life, except for those 2 or 3 months in Mexico, yet she's forced to leave the only country she knows, and leave her family and friends, because of the stupid policies currently in place. If President Obama actually does something that will allow her to return to what she still considers her country, despite going through all this crap, then I will personally write Mr. Obama a thank you and add, "It took long enough!"

Some of you have no idea what is happening to Americans thrown out of their own country because of a few months as a baby somewhere else. The girl I'm talking about is far from the only person affected like this. It's a travesty. I hope the President does something, like yesterday. She's a great person.

2 people like this.
  5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

There's still a conflict as to what it means to be American, and sadly some would consider that girl not to fit the definition.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this is scary

[​IMG]

do what I want, or I will decree it

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That's why there are two other branches of government. Obama doing what he think is best. You think its scary, other think its great. Again, we have 2 other branches of government. The Republican congress has an opportunity here. Ball in their court. Do their job. And if you have forgotten, they have been sitting on their hand for years doing nothing.

What's more harmful to the nation, a president trying to solve a problem with lawful executive power or a congress that refuses to do anything.

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Its really sad to hear stories like this. However its the typical politics that lets stuff like this go on. There are not very many extremists who want all or nothing, however this is exactly what Washington does. They introduce (both sides) very aggressive bills that get holed up for years and decades.

Do I want to see a bill that protects 5 million illegal immigrants? No I do not. However I am all for making it easier for people to become citizens in which doesn't require thousands of dollars and impossible wait times.

Can we make the path to citizenship much easier and more fair? Absolutely
    Can we make work visas easier to obtain and to cover those who are currently here? Absolutely.
    Can these solutions come about in which both sides will agree to? Absolutely

When both sides of the party work together, the politicians lose power. If I am a politician, how am I more likely to get support by the blind masses? By working off past achievements or by making promises? Your willingness to kiss Obamas ass if he gets this passed proves it. The reality is Obama could have worked with Congress 6 years ago to fix your brother-in-laws scenario. Instead, both sides want to introduce legislation that pretty much guarantees it wont pass.

9. itstheyear3030

Why doesn't her mom or dad just sponsor her as a family member? I'm not sure what the wait times are for Mexico (I suspect pretty long), but its better than nothing right?

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Multiple avenues, one of which you mentioned, could have been started 20 years ago.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Obamus Mexicanus

12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I have a racist question and rant:

Do black Americans support this type of immigration reform (legalizing and letting in more Mexicans)? I mean, wouldn't blacks just get pushed out of jobs by poorer Mexicans? I'm not saying blacks have to take certain jobs, but there is racism in this country and "qualified" blacks seeking a job can be at a disadvantage due to their race. I think the racial discrimination against blacks is greater than other brown people.

So the 5 million Mexicans may likely have a greater advantage over blacks. They will likely have greater social mobility due to this. And since they came hear on their own (assuming no forced labor), they may be stereotyped as unusually hard-working. I see more interracial relationships between whites and latinos than I see whites and blacks (when looking at the percent demographic make-up of Houston). So, they seem to have that going for them as well.

So, if I were a black American, would I continue to vote for the Democratic party considering that their stance on immigration reform will put me (and other black people) at a disadvantage?

13. Bandwagoner

Both parties are at fault. The black caucus or black leaders could definitely speak up and say that being tougher on immigration isn't a racially motivated viewpoint though.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yeah, this is mostly garbage. Grossly underestimates and oversimplifies blacks' and Hispanics' economic engagement for at least the last two generations or so.

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

While I agree with you, there is a social scientist who wrote an article with an argument along those lines a few years ago. I'll try to find it later. It wasn't a great analytical article though...mostly summary stats.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If the mother was an American citizen, all her children should be American citizens due to her citizenship regardless of where they are born -- unless some paperwork was left undone or something. But, if the brother-in-law has spent a lot of time and money to fix this problem, I can't imagine it's a simple paperwork problem. Not challenging Deckard's story, but there's something I'm missing.

17. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

I might be wrong...
    ...but judging from Deckard's story....

...it seems like the mother's citizenship is in question somehow.

Deckard said that the woman was a Mexican born American citizen ...
    ...not sure what that means exactly...or why it's relevant...

...if she's an American citizen, then her nationality is a matter of cultural reference, and doesn't apply here for here or her children.

As Deckard stated, if she was an American citizen, then her children were Americanized by virtue of her citizenship at the moment of their birth, despite where they might have been born.

Maybe there was something about her previous marriage that wasn't sorted out? Was her citizenship ever in question or was it assumed?

Just her nationality alone would be a problem in this current political climate to foster anything like an explanation...no matter how much money anybody spent on it....

18. Nook

Nook Member

Mexicans already have the jobs in many cases.

Stereotyped as "hard working"?

You don't see blacks and whites interacting?

Would you rather vote for a party that has made it abundently clear that they HATE you?

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Not only do they already have those jobs, since they hold them in the underground economy, the employers aren't spending as much on wages, OSHA requirements, etc to employ them. When the work permissions of the Mexican nationals are normalized, Mexican labor would become more expensive than it used to be and blacks would be able to compete for those jobs on an equal playing field. If anything, immigration reform should serve to improve the employment prospects of poor blacks.

20. Bandwagoner

implying work permits and amnesty are needed to enforce OSHA and fair wages