1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Question About Morey's Plans To Upgrade Roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bbllr3431, Nov 15, 2014.

1. bbllr3431

bbllr3431 Member

With how the roster salaries are set up, the Rockets are set up to have around 12.8 million dollars in cap (someone can fact check if I'm wrong since I'm not sure about this $). This is assuming a couple of things though:

-The salary cap doesn't increase at all from this year's level
    -We decline team option of Papa
    -Make no trades and offer the QO to Beverley

This would leave the Rox with this as cap holds

Beverley (QO offered)/Cannan (TO picked up)/Johnson
    Harden/Daniels
    Ariza
    Jones/DMO/Capela
    Howard/Black(TO picked up)/Dorsey

Everyone is of the opinion that the cap will go up. If at minimum it goes up by how much in this last season (5 million) then we would have about 17.8 million to work with. So what I think Morey has before him are 2 options:

Option 1

Make no trades this year, even the TPE, that would add salary to the team. This is because there are 2 ramifications from trading. One we would lose trade assets and valuable role players/consistency. While reducing our chances from spending during the offseason.

The FA list has some really good names/players. Just to list a couple realistic players for the price range: Aldridge, Gasol, Dragic, Rondo, Jackson, Butler, Milsap, West, Young, Tob. Harris, Lopez, Mathews, Green, Shump, Garnett, etc

I'm of the opinion that Morey wants to reserve as much cap to either offer a full max to one of those superstars, or split up the cap and upgrade two positions at once with really serviceable players say Dragic/Milsap/Harris. This way we upgrade the roster w/o losing anyone to trades, thus maintaining flexibility for future trades.

After Morey splurges on FA and upgrades the roster w/ cap space. He makes a final play to absorb an 8.4 million dollar contract from someone, who would contribute to the bench, while giving the other team the NOP pick+other young salaried player. This way the TPE is utilized but after we have used up all possible cap. Using the TPE before using the cap eats up our spending potential

Option 2

If the Rockets want to make a run this season they need really two things.

The defense goes to Hell w/o a rim protector and the offense goes to hell w/o Harden. If Morey wants to make a play at the WCF or title this year, I don't think we're that far away. He would just need to make a play for a bench sparkplug w/ shot creating ability against 2nd stringers and a backup 5. These come with drawbacks though. You probably lose the TPE, you gain salary that limits potential spending, and lose valuable trade assets down the line.

I am of the opinion that you kind of fuse these two plans. I believe that maintaining flexibility for this upcoming FA period is vital. There are too many good pieces that will need a home somewhere to pass up. We have 2 superstars, an improving defensive system, good culture with vet presence, and starting positions at PG and PF to help recruit FAs.

However I think if you can make a trade package of Dorsey/Capela/Johnson/Llul/2nd rounders/any of the guys not in the rotation to anyone for a crap 1 year deal. You do it. Because with the open spot you can pick up some BAE guys like O' Neal who is known as a rim protector (and played well recently for a contender) and at the same time you reduce cap by getting rid of long term deals.

Either way the future is bright. I expect us to spendand load up the roster this offeason while re upping Papa/Terry/and Beverley to team friendly deals.

TLDR; Rox should hold out until offseason to spend on FA and use the TPE. Don't give up assets until this is completed. I like Jermaine O' Neal

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Only Morey would touch an 8-1 team and screw up it's chemistry...and the starting PG and PF are soon coming back.

3. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

To the OP, I agree pretty much with what you are saying. Our team is developing chemistry, even with two of our starters being out. Once Bev and TJones get back to full health, our team will be hard for anyone to beat...although not unbeatable.

I think the key to a DEEP run this year is simply a great backup center. Jermaine O'Neal would be my first choice because we can just sign him without giving up anything, and maybe either trading Dorsey for a 2nd rounder or sending Black to the D-League. If Okafor can get healthy, same situation.

I think a lineup of:

Bev/Cannon
    Harden/Terry
    Ariza/Papa
    TJones/DMo
    Howard/(O'Neal or Okafor)

would be very very hard for any team to beat in a 7 game series if all of our players are healthy during the playoffs. Then like you said, that leaves a lot of flexibility to add a potential 3rd superstar or 2 star players during the offseason.

But right now, I would be comfortable going into the playoffs with the team above, if we can't make a major upgrade without giving up significant current rotation players.

4. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

^^ let me get this straight. You miss kaboom and blue planet? Barry's pizza is still there.

Where is oneal now ?

5. bongman

bongman Member

I think Andrey Blatche who is playing China is on a lot team's radar. I feel he is the most attractive and least intrusive signing we can make.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

heypee has there been any news about tjones' timetable for return? last i heard they were going to reevaluate next week…..and worrell said last nite he could be out for a long while

7. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Lol...nah man. Just when they shut it down so we could party. I can't even remember all the clubs that I used to party at back then on Richmond. I hardly ever go that way anymore unless it's to get my car washed at the hand car wash.

I think O'Neal is taking some time off doing some family stuff, but possibly open to coming back to play again. If I were the Rockets, I would be talking to him trying to convince him to get in shape and be a great backup on a serious contender this year. You can't teach him height, size and experience. He would be great for 10 minutes or more depending on foul trouble, off the bench to back up Dwight only.

8. Raven

Raven Member

Getting a legit backup for Dwight isn't rocking the boat, it's common sense.

9. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

It's obvious we can't win with only 2 guys contributing..we need someone else to take the load off of harden. In the playoffs it's so easy to beat us because teams triple team harden and allow howard to get all of his points. When howard is scoring no one is really involved. When harden is leading the offense. Every player on the court becomes a threat. We need another threat that can set harden up while scoring. Oh yeah and that back up big

10. bbllr3431

bbllr3431 Member

I don't think Morey cares so much with the chemistry so much as he does keeping that flexibility open. Say we have 20 millioin in cap. Thats enough for 2 awesome veteran contributors plus that 8.4 TPE to add another contributor.

Morey just needs to open a roster spot somehow and bring in a proven rim protector to supplant Black in the rotation. I love the kid but to win this year we need another threat to deter layups.

11. bbllr3431

bbllr3431 Member

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

you make it sound like we can go out and buy one with the Lin TPE. You have to trade something to get something...hence putting 8-1 chemistry building into jeopardy, by releasing a significant role player.

I am partly kidding, but you would have to give up a significant piece to upgrade the backup C. Do you think draft pick assets can do that, and is it worth it.

13. bbllr3431

bbllr3431 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0idkxAIrEHc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Lol. I forgot all about him wrecking Parsons on his dunk attempt.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Let it sit. Don't ask because you will never ever see it coming. And cyberx will not either. You can speculate all you want, but this season the Rockets are very very good. Morey does not have to do another damn thing to be successful this year as a GM.

16. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Priority 1, 2, and 3 is to get our 3rd star. That should be obvious to a chimpanzee. If it isn't possible during the season, expect Morey to make a move that makes us better in the interim but allows us the ability to acquire a star in the summer.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Rondo is coming.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

what about Toney Douglas?

19. awc713

awc713 Member

Stopped reading at "if you can trade a package of Dorsey/"

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If someone like Andray Blatche can play Center and would come over you do not have to give up someone, just a contract and a roster spot.

One guy has to be released, we got rid of Adrien, what makes you think we cannot get rid of Garcia, Dorsey or another guy?

Blatche career 10 and 5.5 rebounds in 22 limited minutes during 8 years(vet)