1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lower back pain

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Falcons Talon, Nov 4, 2014.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Chiropractors have helped my every time I go to see them since 1980.

I was scheduled for a laminectomy in 1980; someone said "why don't you check out a chiropractor?"

I did for three days prior to the surgery. I cancelled the surgery.

Every few years, my back goes "out" and I see the chiropractor a few times, rest, ice and I'm good to go in a few days.

Back surgery may be different today but back then if you had one surgery, you were likely to have another later on.

2. faraza84

faraza84 Member

Haha I know back pain and getting meds is a dilemma. Half the time docs think your bsing and the other half of the time if your positive for a straight leg test you can atleast warrant an MRI and maybe a referral to pain management.

3. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I felt pretty good last night. Minimal pain, More mobility I thought things were getting better, and then I woke up at 3 in the morning in pain. Maybe its from sleeping on my back. I rolled onto my side and slept through the rest of the night, but woke up and in pain. I took a Flexeril and an ibu 800 last night and an ibu this morning. Getting old REALLY sucks!!!

4. body slam

body slam Member

How's the back doing?

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

two things that help me with my L5-S1 ruptured disc:

foam rolling my entire body. especially the glutes and IT bands.

and hanging...i do this on the pull up bar..and also i bought an inversion machine. helps relieve the pressure on the discs.

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

7. omair

omair Contributing Member

Normally in the acute setting you wanna ice it for a few days to calm it down and bring that swelling down. It will help with the pain and help in the long term as well. Heat is better a few days later to loose then muscle too. A lot of the times for back pain you don't need imaging right away, just gotta keep an eye on your symptoms. Important questions you want to ask your self
    Are my legs getting weaker suddenly?
    Have my bowels/bladder control changed suddenly?
    New changes in sensation ?
    After a few days of icing its important to try to get up and do some activity as tolerated. Stretching is a great idea, especially the muscles that support your core and take strain off your lower back. If its just a low back strain, it can take a few days to 4 -6 weeks to really get over it

8. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

What are you, a doctor or something?

9. Throttle

Throttle Member

this...

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The first time I foam rolled my back was like plastic bubbles popping. I loved it.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Go see a doctor and check to see if you may have a herniated disc. I had a ruptured disc and it wasn't pleasant as it was causing sciatica. I eventually had surgery and am glad I did as one of my legs was slowly dying from the ejected material bumping up against the sciatic nerve causing numbness and pain at the same time. Had I waited longer, I'd be dragging my left leg behind me because I noticed it getting weaker and weaker.

*EDIT* : Oops... didn't see this thread was a few days old and you'd already seen a doc. In any case, maybe get a second opinion, but keep a watch on your legs to see if they're getting weaker or anything.

#71 Dr of Dunk, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  12. omair

omair Contributing Member

my bum ankles trying to provide some info thats all :)

13. Falcons Talon

Wanted to give an update. My back is still tight, but nowhere near as bad as a few days ago. I've been getting electro shock treatments with the trainer at my school, and yesterday, he gave me a good glutes and lower back stretch. It helped a ton. I'll go again this afternoon for another treatment. I'm feeling progress, but every once in a while, I'll make a movement that flares it up.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I just put some Voltaren pads on my back. Package says they are supposed to be for elbows or ankles, but whatever. Let's see if that does anything.

15. SuraGotMadHops

16. val_modus

val_modus Member

I can almost guarantee that if its not a ruptured disk or anything requiring surgery then finding a good yoga class will have you feeling much much better. Combine that with some consistent core work (maybe Ab Ripper X) for about 2-4 weeks, and you should feel brand new. Don't treat it, work to prevent it!

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Incredible that you are taking flexeril and ibu although you can be prescribed MJ. Ibu is so bad for your bones and highly addictive. You can't stay on that stuff. Please be careful.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Did he say why he was stretching the glutes and back? Weak hammies?

19. Falcons Talon

I don't think it's weak hamstrings. I do a lot of cycling, and do fill workouts. We came to the conclusion that it was a strain from adding weight to seated cable rows. It makes sense.