1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014-15] Jeremy Lin as a Los Angeles Laker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jul 11, 2014.

1. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

Lin played well, composed and aggressive. He fed Kobe at time but he managed the game better and got more ppl involved. Still his habits die pretty hard like jumping up with no where to go. His TO was Down. Boozer - he actually showed up.

2. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

A lot of the racism/prejudice talk that Jeremy has openly discussed was during his days before the NBA, which is why his story appeals to Asian-Americans and race relations in the USA. He's first and foremost American and has gone through an American basketball system, so if he's faced any type of stereotypes or discrimination, it would have happened in the USA. He's the nerd with the high GPA that got into Harvard that shouldn't be playing basketball.

But strictly looking at basketball, he hasn't shown he can sustain his level of play during Linsanity, and the flaws that people mention about his game are true as well.

Yao Ming was a #1 pick and a superstar of Chinese basketball, ever since playing in the CBA and their national teams. He was already getting an opportunity to show what he could do on a world stage. A 7'6" center expected to rival Shaq. He had to overcome cultural barriers for sure, but if he faced racism, it would be at the professional level, but not the same as Lin growing up.

Both have two different stories, but also boosted by the Chinese market once they got to the NBA. That's why people also say Yao was over-hyped due to being Asian as well, which I think is true to a certain extent. The NBA is a business so I wouldn't be surprised if future players of Chinese descent get a lot of media attention.

3. steady

steady Member

4. jonstarks

jonstarks Member

yes...Lin played well but Kobe 7-20 again... if this continues...it will be a terrible season for those guys.

They should have a general rule, if kobe is under 45% don't shoot more than 20FGA... that 37% on 37 shots was hard to watch.

5. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

lin had the same number of points as kobe tonight on less shots and he had more assists?

lin leading the lakers to their first win of the season! lol!

6. Razsan

Razsan Member

Good game for both, very similar stats. Jeremy had a 4 more points and 3 more assists...Lakers played better team wise. Lin was very efficient with only 1 turnover (as was Walker).

7. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Proud of Jeremy! Hope he continues to grow and develop with LA. I appreciate his humility.

8. VanityHalfBlack

You mean you can get all those by sitting behind a computer?

9. VanityHalfBlack

Yeah living in China and being 7'6 obviously. Yeah U.S.A is not a racist country at all, how dare Lin make such accusation. Oh clutchfans I love you so much.

10. King1

King1 Contributing Member

This doesn't even make sense.

11. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

That in no way, shape, or form means he did not come face to face with racism. Don't be naive.

12. King1

There's no question Yao faced some racism. The difference is Yao is a witty intelligent guy who never portrayed himself as a "victim" of anything. Never let it bother him and became a guy whom the entire city still embraces to this day. There's a reason Yao is beloved and lin is disliked here

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yao had a lot more basketball skill then Yao. If Lin was an all NBA player like Yao was, everyone would love him. Unfortunately, he is more like Yi Jianlian in skill level with Yao's following.

Edit: I meant Lin

#2833 rockbox, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  14. King1

Obviously Yao's talent plays a role in that, but I think his personality is a huge key too. He came over here with a translator and so people were taken aback when he was cracking jokes and messing around with people. He's just a really endearing guy who always took the high road. Just impossible not to like. Agree on the last part.

15. conquistador#11

i find it fascinating, the people that are obsessed with the trolling. It's like the end of "catch me if you can" Look around you, nobody is chasing you, frank.

also fascinated with dr Linkyll and Lyde. For a player to be consistent, scoring wise, he has to shoot an average amount of 12fgs. when lin shoots 12 times, he does well. when he shoots 6 or less, it's a disappearing act. Look at gogi right now that he is taking less than 9 shots. he is looking a lot like gogi in 2012. Shoot the ball gogi! your fg% will eventually level to the norm.

16. Terry Teagle

Terry Teagle Member

Surprised that all these prepubescent LOHs still exist on clutchfans! Get over it!

Lin is an average player and the LOFs are gone. Move on.

17. King1

How can a LOH still exist on here? That makes no sense whatsoever. Those people would also follow him to whatever team he goes to.

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I just had to comment on this but a couple of those plays were rinsed and repeated at different angles (networks) of the exact same play. You LOF video editing is something else trying to fool ppl. Lin is a nice player and all but his unsure handles and confidence is just horrid. I want him to succeed but just not on any of the teams I'm rooting for.

19. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Yeah. Unlike Parsons, Lin left gracefully and didn't take shots at the city or team/management. Wish Lin nothing but the best and am glad he played well. Makes it easier when the Lakers suck too.