1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was The Jeremy Lin Trade A Blessing In Disguise?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Andrew Wiggins, Nov 6, 2014.

?

Would you redo the Lin Trade?

1. Yes.

114 vote(s)
    74.5%
  2. No.

27 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. No, but only if McHale benches Lin (keep the pick, forget Lin).

12 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

That sounds fine on paper but it would have been a distraction. Part of what's making this season start so great in my opinion is everyone seems to be vibing and focused. There's no extra crap going on in the peripheries.

2. jruthlaz

jruthlaz Member

misread the poll and voted no. Meant yes =).

3. hakeemthagreat

Lin was garbage. Anything is a upgrade from that

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

We kind of had to after that Carmelo jersey fiasco...

5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I don't know if it is indeed addition by subtraction. This depends on PBev's health and Canaan's improvement going forth and deep into the season. Despite my criticism, I didn't dislike Lin on the Rockets; I just felt that he should NEVER, EVER be on the court in clutch situations. He is more prone to **** up then do good in those situations. He was still very serviceable however. That said, I am so happy as a member of CF that the LoF's migrated to whatever that Lakers forum is called and EVEN HAPPIER at our great start. Let's go Rockets!

6. juanm34

juanm34 Member

agreed

7. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Clear case of addition by subtraction.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I'd give my left nut to never have to read the word Lin in this forum ever again.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It comes back to the team chemistry this year vs. the "personal agendas" of last year. I'm assuming that Lin absolutely was part of that notion that multiple players & the coach even referred to, and I absolutely think that if Lin was sulking it would have hurt the team chemistry.

The point is though, that they attached a quality asset to Lin's contract to move him for cap space that ended up not being needed so far.

If the coaches, H&H, and Morey thought that his presence would be a problem on the bench, you work out a buyout to save yourself the 1st round pick to trade him. I'm sure if Morey could have known back in July what he knows now (that they would strike out, and that Asik's salary getting moved would have been enough to get Ariza), Id have to think he would have elected to keep Lin for the first part of the year, and looked at other alternatives rather than giving up a 1st rounder to move him.

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Wrong. At the time it looked great, but now it looks awesome.

11. The Drake

The Drake Member

Shoot, where was the disguise?

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Its the circle of life for rockets point guards. Backup takes starters job rinse and repeat.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is what I understood too. Morey didn't have to hurry to dump Lin if it wasn't for clearing cap space for Bosh. Yes, Lin was gone no matter what. But Morey could have waited for a better deal or simply kept him for one more year and let him walk.

I am still not sold on Canaan yet. Terry, on the other hand, is a pleasant surprised. Together with the emergence of Papa, I am not that worried about the PG-playmaker situation now.

We still need a solid backup C.

Yep. You know what happen with Rockets PGs. They come and go.

14. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

You do know that this quote is 100% sig-worthy material right here?????

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Lulz

I've been here for 17 years, of course I know it. :grin:

but the truth is the truth.

16. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

I just had to give you your props for that one!

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Um, no.

1) Benching Lin means playing him over Canaan and Terry, and to be honest I'd rather those two over Lin as long as Harden is out there playing.
    2) Lin was traded to free up max cap space we needed to chase Bosh, Mel and other superstars. It didn't work out but I take the chance to sign a max FA over Lin being a benchdude.
    3) Lin's contract was used on Clint Cappella, Papa, Terry, Black etc. I'd rather have those guys than just Lin.

Point is you don't want someone Linconsistent on the squad, Lin puts up good performance one night then causes us to lose the next. Sorry but a backup pg shouldn't have that kind of power, I don't want a guy with low ball IQ as the playmaker and center of offense just look at what's happening with the Lakers.

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

If LOFs and LOHs were still here, this thread would have seen page 20 by now.

19. JMG524

JMG524 Member

I'd wait at least half a season before answering this question. The Knicks seemed better too after losing Lin but eventually the lack of depth at the PG position caught up to them later in the season.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What happens after you have given your left nut?
    Use only the right hand when you do Casselling. :grin: