1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Root Sports Houston :-)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by msn, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

When you do your initial sign up, there is a place where it will show you your bill for any month in your 2 year commitment period (obviously minus taxes and ppv's etc). I looked at them and they were still less than my dish bill was by $10-$20 even after the promotional stuff fell off my account. Regardless the next 3-12 months are almost half what I paid dish so even if those last 12 end up around or a little more than what I was paying it will still be better over the course of the contract.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Spread the love around guys, don't only use Castor for DTV referrals.

There are other people on this board too who need to save money because they have newborn babies running around!

<-------------

Email me through the board!

As to them jacking up rates, there is a small rate bump after year 1, and then another after year two. However, they are the best to negotiate with. If you just call them and talk politely with their billing department they will always give you a new discount and some free channels.

3. msn

msn Member

Congrats papa!

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Judge Hughes says he’s been getting “nasty letters” from people who say they want access to the Astros and Rockets. “One reason I want to handle this as expeditiously as possible is so I can get rid of you guys. This hasn’t been much fun.”

Rockets attorney Alan Gover says since Comcast says it is only concerned about money & not halting Root Sports, launch plans should proceed. In fact, he thinks the court should dissolve the current stay imposed by the bankruptcy court that continues through the 14th. In return, he says teams and AT&T and DTV will not object to Comcast continuing its appeal over trying to get back its full $100m loan. Comcast attorneys are meeting outside the courtroom to see if Comcast agrees with this interpretation.

Comcast says it is fine with the teams, DirecTV and AT&T closing as long as it can still argue its financial matters on the appeal.

With agreement that the core issues on appeal are financial, there is a clear path to the impending launch of Root Sports Houston.

Rockets general counsel Rafael Stone: “There’s still a process.We don’t have an announcement on when this will allow us to (launch network). Stone: “But there’s a clear path with no more legal obstacles.”

To recap: The bankruptcy court-ordered stay on closing will expire on or about Nov. 14. After that, Root Sports Houston is free to launch. Comcast will continue its appeal on financial grounds, but, as it said yesterday, it will not attempt to stop launch of the new network.

#304 J.R., Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  5. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Come on comcast we want our ROOT Sports now not in a week.

6. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Everyone can exhale now!

7. justtxyank

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Castor27 is in here snagging all the DirecTV refferals up, I aint mad at you though. ;)

Someone should really start a DirecTV refferal thread though, we could really help each other save a lot of money around here.

9. justtxyank

They've been started multiple times.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Hallelujah!

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]AT&T and DirecTV now have a clear path to launch Root Sports Houston and to begin televising Rockets games as early as this month, attorneys for the teams said Thursday.

While appeals related to financial details will continue in the year-long Comcast SportsNet Houston bankruptcy case, attorneys for Comcast told U.S. District Judge Lynn Hughes that the company will not stand in the way of the new network’s launch.

Accordingly, the teams said they will continue working with AT&T and DirecTV toward a start date for Root Sports Houston, which will be available on DirecTV and AT&T U-verse in addition to Comcast cable.

“There’s still a process. We don’t have an announcement on when this will allow us to (launch the new network),” said Rockets general counsel Rafael Stone. ““But there’s a clear path with no more legal obstacles.”

Attorneys earlier indicated that the new network could launch in time for a Rockets game on Nov. 14, but DirecTV Sports Networks officials have not confirmed those plans. CSN Houston’s current telecast schedule now extends through Sunday, Nov. 16.

“It’s great for the city,” said Rockets owner Leslie Alexander. “It’s great for the Rockets fans, and I’m thrilled. Thank you very much to Judge Hughes for letting fans be able to watch the Rockets.”

Astros general counsel Giles Kibbe added, “We’re ready to get the games on TV. It’s great to start the Rockets’ season. It’s great for the fans of Houston. It’s an exciting time.”

Bankruptcy Judge Marvin Isgur earlier this month approved a reorganization plan that will sell the Astros-Rockets-Comcast-owned network to DirecTV and AT&T. The teams and Comcast will lose their equity in the reorganization plan, which was supported by the teams and opposed by Comcast, and the teams agreed to forego immediate payment of more than $100 million in unpaid rights fees.

Only 45 of the 141 CSN Houston employees will be retained by the new network, which will show Rockets and Astros games but will not retain CSN Houston’s news and talk shows.

Comcast appealed Isgur’s order, saying he erred by not requiring full repayment to Comcast of a $100 million loan extended in 2012 for network startup costs. Comcast is now scheduled to receive only $26 million.

Thursday was the second day of an appeal hearing before Hughes, who was asked by Comcast to stay the network transfer or, as an alternative, to rule that launch of the new network would not impact Comcast’s financial position on appeal.

With the teams’ and networks’ agreement that they will not argue that the new network’s launch renders moot any efforts by Comcast to pursue full payment of its loan on appeal, Astros and Rockets attorneys said work can begin on closing the sale to DirecTV and AT&T.

Attorneys met behind closed doors for more than 90 minutes Wednesday to wrap up details and also met with Hughes, who apparently encouraged a settlement that would enable him to avoid having to rule on a potential order that would delay the network launch.

“One reason I want to handle this as expeditiously as possible is so I can get rid of you guys,” he said. “This hasn’t been much fun the last 15 months.”

Attorneys now will work on legal briefings related to the financial issues, which may be discussed after the Thanksgiving holidays.

http://goo.gl/27AEow[/rQUOTEr]

#311 J.R., Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

email me too for DTV referrals. :)

goldbricker@gmail.com

Make sure you get a wireless Genie. Those things are amazing.

love watching NFL Games in my garage, I even have 2 so I can watch 2 TVs side by side.

13. Granville

Granville Member

With what Castor put up with from both sides of this debate, he deserves every DTV referral

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Some CSN/Root Sports housekeeping: On the parties' agreement, Judge Hughes has denied the Comcast motion for stay pending appeal.</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/status/530530797783375872">November 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Judge Hughes also has lifted the automatic stay imposed by the bankruptcy court after plan confirmation Oct. 30. So there's your clear path.</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/status/530531446499606528">November 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Still, the new Root Sports Houston network won't launch immediately. No comment today from DirecTV Sports Networks on launch date.</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/status/530531636870676480">November 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

15. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Umm, so it's that it? I'm glad the stay appeal got declined.

16. msn

msn Member

it's happening dot gif!

17. cml750

cml750 Member

So now that the automatic stay has been lifted it would be nice if we could see the CSN-H games on Direct TV / ATT up until Roots Sports Houston is up and running. I know this will not happen :( but it would be nice.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Heard Tad Brown on the radio this morning say 10 days is the outset of how long we will wait for the network to find its way to all the providers that are planning on carrying it at this point.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We play at Memphis on Nov 17. That'd be a good way to kick off the channel. 11-0!

20. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.