1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Realjad, Oct 22, 2014.

1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Do you have a link to this?

2. vator

vator Contributing Member

I am aware of those stats. If you didn't actually watch the games they would seem to portray him as a defensive stopper which most of know that he isn't. He did have a few shining moments here and there though and I was happy to see them. I think Minnesota, Memphis and to a lesser extent the Clippers come to mind. I just wish that he would have those moments more frequently. Stats also show that the team was at it's best when TJ was on the floor despite what the individual numbers seem to indicate. The team's offensive and defensive rating differential was one of the highest in the NBA with Jones as a part of it when you factor in minutes.

http://www.82games.com/1314/1314HOU2.HTM

#302 vator, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  3. kemah

kemah Member

I been down on TJ but will say he is a good PF just not great. Last year he was at times against certain top tier PF's unable to contain but that is to be expected. The problem though is he would disappear offensively also. He became a negative. I am hoping this year when he has a bad night containing a bad a$$ he tries to go after them offensively. He just needs to step up when we really need it if he wants us to love him.

4. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

the problem with dmo last year was staying on the court. kept getting into foul trouble.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Come on guys he is like 22 years old, in his 3rd year and is a versatile developing PF - I like what I see out of the guy, most of his motor issues seem to come from confidence, or lack thereof, he is clearly getting a lot better.

Let's just see what the ceiling is, and we can play DMo with him as well, and whichever one is hot, ride him.

DD

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

aldridge, blake, lee, those 3 killed us

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Even if it was true what you say about Dmo, coming off the bench would be great if it actually helped the team.

It does further tell how versatile Jones is in contrast to other guys, he can impact the game as a starter and as the 6th man.

Finishing the game is what really matters and 4th quarter action

8. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

I 100% agree.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

So do I. He should hopefully be pretty dang good by the end of this season. He hardly played his rookie year so he should really be getting comfortable by the playoffs.

10. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

According to Bill and Bill, coaches are letting TJ loose to use his handles against his defender. Attack facing the basket. Yes, shoot the 3 if he's open but not as a primary weapon.

The funniest part of the broadcast last night was when Clyde said TJones should never shoot the 3 because he's so bad. Right after TJ hits a 3, and the broadcast team cracked up at Clyde's expense. So funny!

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think his shot is underrated because his mechanics is not pretty but well,
    Shawn Marion had one of the ugliest shots and still made enough 3s in his days.
    So?

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Jones is so much better than D-Mo it's not even funny.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't get why some posters don't understand this. There were players TJs age drafted this past summer. TJ is still really young.

In the Utah game he got in foul trouble early and was never quite the same player. Starting with the last couple of pre season games I could really see a difference in his motor. He still waits for the rebound to come to him sometimes, but I'm seeing him go after the rebound more this season than last. He also looks more engaged on the defensive end so far this season than last.

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The team needs to ISO him to start games.

He seems to play well overall when he starts well.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I guess he is not the brightest type of a player so he needs repetition, repetition and repetition in practice to learn what he has to do on the court.

But his tools and potential are very good IMO

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Uhhh...no they most certainly do not...

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not true. On a per possession basis, lineups with DMo outplayed those same lineups with Jones instead on average. Jones just played with better players more often.

I don't know how things will play out this year, but last year DMo was the better player in the middle of the season and Jones was the better player at the beginning and the end.

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/s4pm/2014/motiedo01_2014.html

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Dmo is terrible, there's no reason why anyone should be advocating more time to that guy. he's too weak and soft, spends most of the time getting pushed around by players.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I don't get why some folks are so down on him either. He adds energy and athleticism to the starting lineup and makes teams pay for not keeping track of him on offense. He is a nightmare match-up for slower, older bigs (Spurs) and is more than strong enough to play good post defense once someone shows him how. The lack of strength thing is pure nonsense. The guy is a chiseled 250lb+ with a solid base (no chicken legs).

Like others have said, he tends to fade away offensively when he is getting beat up on the defensive end. I absolutely thinking running a few plays for him early will get his confidence going which often results in him dropping 18/10 with a few blocks. There are plenty of bigs in the league who are very productive and have long careers who also need that confidence boost early in games to get going so it isn't that big a deal. Hell, it was standard practice back in the day to get your big guys touches early so that they had the confidence and intensity to play all game long.

A play-making PG would probably do wonders for TJ as he seems to know when to cut to the basket or find the open spot on the court to go to work.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Now we are talking.