1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I like McHale but we need a coach who can guide the players through difficult scenarios, scheme and 'game-plan' for their opponents and specific players, and change up the playbook when warranted. The notion that the Rockets are "the closest thing to pickup basketball" by certain scouts does leave one scratching one's head in regards to what Morey's opinion is of Mchale, and why the Rockets keep floating him out there when the window for this team is ticking and screaming to act now.

Although I think we have the answer: he's on the last year of his coaching contract (hasn't been renewed) and will likely feel the front office heat during the season. I personally think Morey will pull the trigger early (before the All-Star break even) and hand the reins over to Finch if he isn't seeing enough coaching savvy from Mchale/Rockets underperform. Finch has always been the man-in-waiting for the job and would be ready to go--not saying anything of the success he may have, but he is known as more of an Xs and Os kind of guy.

It is frustrating--as a fan--whatever the reality may be, that the perception out there is that McHale is a dunderhead, over his head, or has no head in "head coach" to take the Rockets to the next level. Anything short of a Western Conference Finals trip ends in his termination anyways--IMO.

1 person likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Odds say Rockets' Kevin McHale will be 1st coach fired this season

<a href="http://t.co/efxkRMnsRb">http://t.co/efxkRMnsRb</a> <a href="http://t.co/XLipKaPRxY">pic.twitter.com/XLipKaPRxY</a></p>&mdash; Eye on Basketball (@CBSSportsNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNBA/status/526849644366954497">October 27, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. Convictedstupid

I think Morey is against firing coaches mid season. So I doubt he gets fired.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

It's not Morey. It's Les. He won't get fired but expired.

5. ksny15

ksny15 Member

6. conquistador#11

7. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Scratch that like the 25 minute mark

8. ksny15

ksny15 Member

They think Dwight is a dark house for MVP. And to sum it up Mchale is a horrible coach. Its on Grantlands youtube channel. The whole video is really good

9. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Official get over it and quit whining post.

10. thiefery

thiefery Member

He ain't getting fired mid season. Also this season falls all on him. He was given a pass last season since working Dwight in there for the first time along with cry baby Asik and his injury.

11. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

12. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

damn, stan van with dwight and better shooters

we'd def be in contention talks...

f the situation we're in

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets must slow down because they're wasting Dwight Howard

14. hltiki

hltiki Member

On opening day, if Mchale gets outcoached by Scott....

15. clutz

clutz Member

...Morey will not fire him.

16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Thanks for posting the article, but the author fails to explain how the other guys on the team are going to excel in a slowed-down style. All he says is Bev is not a playmaker. I'm not sure whether that means the offense should slow down or not. The author does not offer any vision of this new offensive scheme, except that it will allow Dwight to go back from 19th rank to 2nd rank in Player Impact Estimate (is that very important to the Rockets?). As I recall, Dwight was not playing with a Harden-level player in Orlando. Of course he was more of a focal point. I think Dwight and Harden should be equally impactful. Anyone liking this article, can you describe how the slow-style offense would have got us more wins last season?

17. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Kevin McHale: "What about my chemistry experiment? It's not yet over at that moment."

18. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

No because we're a bad defensive rebounding team that loses a lot of 50/50 long rebounds. Obviously we had problems with PF's not boxing out, but if you want to improve the defense you need to stop giving up 2nd change buckets.

19. Mr Chuck Norris

Well our pfs need to not be soft and crash with Dwight. Harden in transition is a major part of his game. Our big guys should be able to rebound without hardens help. Now I'm not saying harden shouldn't crash at all, but don't complete remove the fast team from hardens game

20. NotChandlerParsons