1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014-15] Jeremy Lin as a Los Angeles Laker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jul 11, 2014.

1. steady

steady Member

He was asked if he was given a fair shake... he paused for 6 seconds it is reported :), and then he answered, I'll have to think that over.

The more telling remark: in describing how much he learned while in Houston, he likened playing here to his experience playing in D League. Get bumps and bruises, learn stuff, blah blah. Whatever. But D League?? Cut throat competitive, and not really about team work D League. !??

2. Neped

Neped Member

Why isn't there a thread about Asik as a NO player??? What's the obsession over Lin? He's a Laker now. I really do not get it. And it is the Rocket fans who keep reviving this thread, not LOFs. This thread needs to go away.:confused:

3. kakaman

kakaman Member

I agree except for the #7 portion. Lin's value was the highest during the NY Linsanity phase, and he was #17 there. He's still called JLin7 on twitter and he's wearing #17 for the Lakers. The Melo photoshop was more of a respect thing. If he cared about his brand, he wouldn't have turned down those commercials like he said.

4. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Not sure how "carefully crafted" his social media channels are...he started doing YouTube videos as a rookie with Golden State, and the "Linsanity" documentary was started while he was still at Harvard before anyone had any idea that he would even make it to the NBA...sure, there was some element of "crafting" after his big two weeks in NY...but given how closely his every move is dissected (by fans and haters alike), *of course* they are going to be far more careful about what he posts.

As far as the Carmelo thing goes...the way I recall it, he was in China/Taiwan when that happened, and the ESPN article that wrote about it as a slap in the face to Lin became big news. I can only imagine that Lin was receiving a lot of questions about it from all the reporters following him in Asia, so instead of answering a zillion questions about it, he tweeted that he was turning the other cheek. So from the way I see it...it had zero to do with his "brand", and everything to do with trying to succinctly answer a question that he was being asked a ton.

5. yoeddy

Fwiw, he wore #4 in college...

6. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

It's most likely just a bad coincidence, but in some respects Jeremy Lin's inconsistent play with the Rockets and his nonchalant remarks in the media has made him even more polarizing. Now he's got Lin fans, Lakers fans, casual Asian NBA fans, AND a few bitter Rockets fans watching him. Ridiculous because I used to watch LeBron when he first joined Miami just to see him lose (might even do that with Bosh this season), and Lin is nowhere near LeBron status.

7. yoeddy

So the handful of "bitter Rockets fans" is a big deal? Am pretty sure that the others (Lin fans, Laker fans, casual Asian NBA fans) were going to watch him anyways...

8. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Maybe bitter wasn't the right word. Moreso, interested. I doubt it's going to be a big deal compared to the other viewers but how many of us are watching the Suns, Raptors, Mavs, or Pelicans on a consistent basis (minus Rockets games). And if he plays crappy for the Lakers then signs with someone like Philly or Orlando then you're going to have all Laker fans watching him too.

This guy is basically getting free exposure because he's asian-american.

9. yoeddy

I think Chandler Parsons will get similar attention from Rockets fans in Dallas.

And are interested Rockets fans going to be watching Lin because he's Asian-American? No...they are going to watch him because he was a controversial player for the Rockets and the subject of a lot of debate around his value to the team while he was here. If he plays crappy and the Rockets do well, Rockets fans will forget about him much the way that Knicks fans have mostly forgotten about him (although as the Knicks did terribly, they did end up thinking about him, especially after Felton got arrested for gun possession).

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He has a team dude. He doesn't film himself. I know about the Linsanity doc, I was there at the premiere. Keep in mind, if you are a scrub in the NBA, you still get paid much more than other normal people. Also he was known in Asia before the Linsanity episode.

Pretty smart on his part though to use social media and youtube to market himself.

11. yoeddy

Yes, he doesn't film himself. And yes, he has had a following (Asian-American fans and Harvard alums) started in college which led to someone taking an interest in making a documentary about him. Someone did one about Emily Tay (Harvard women's basketball player) too...no one was thinking that one would explode into a big deal. I am pretty confident that he did not have "a team" that was worried about anything other than him actually not getting cut from an NBA team until Linsanity happened. Did you see any of his early YouTube videos? "How to get into Harvard"? The comedy stuff he did with KevJumba? It was all just good wholesome fun.

Agree that he now uses social media with an agenda...usually trying to help kids and stuff. Can't fault him for that...

12. tinman

Supporting Member

I believe all that stuff is branding and building followers. Look at Michelle Phan.

Yeah it's comedy, but it's all scripted. It's not natural like Yao Ming comedy:<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NLWoUBYz-vA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#2052 tinman, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  13. skychaser

skychaser Member

For the pass two years, I thought only the Lin extreme fans here are delusional and are the conspiracists. However, after reading the posts from the pass two days, I have finally come to realized I was so wrong. All of a sudden it makes sense why some here love to engage with the extremists in a non-stop manner -- after all, they are all the same just happens to be on different sides. WOW.

14. hltiki

hltiki Member

bro, this this thread is for entertainment purposes only. bring lots of popcorn cuz this is gonna be a long but fun movie.

King1, you da real MVP

15. archinkent

archinkent Member

Actually he only got paid $5 million a year (though $8 million counts towards the salary cap).

13 pts/5 asts is not too bad for $5 million IMO.

16. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Yup. Basically if you use the phrase "Lin fan" in any type of negative and/or stereotyping way, you get banned by the Mods. Very strict. That's the difference between L.A. and Houston.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

They are two cities with large Asian populations who have experienced an overrated player from Palo Alto on their team .

18. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Based on those rules it sounds like their board has their stuff together and will be better able to deal with things than clutchfans

19. hollywoodMarine

Apparently things are actually quite harmonious over there.

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The season hasn't started yet! You got shades of the BS with Ronnie Price starting for ONE PRESEASON GAME!

With that being said, the ground rules and strict mods should keep order. Also, I feel like most LOFs have soured on frequenting team-only forums. There are plenty of Lin-focused sites to serve their purpose.