1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014-15] Jeremy Lin as a Los Angeles Laker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jul 11, 2014.

1. dback816

dback816 Member

Agreed, he should really become an atheist.

2. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Lol what?

You know how to read?

1 person likes this.
  3. afk

afk Member

I thought Morey was god. Why would he smite his own team?

4. baubo

baubo Member

Out of curiosity, what do you think about Byron Scott wanting for Ronnie Price to be the starting PG over Lin.

5. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

There is no such thing as a "championship caliber starting PG". All those rings on Derek Fisher's fingers pretty much prove that with a proper supporting cast, anybody can win a championship... or two... or five.

I think by midseason, Daryl Morey is going to look even more like an idiot for paying the Lakers a first round pick to take Lin. The more playing time Lin logs in L.A., the more it will look like it's the Lakers that should have paid a draft pick for his services. Not the other way around.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of Linsanity Redux in L.A. either. If there's one thing Lin has proven, it's that he thrives under the glare of a national spotlight. I always thought that was the #1 reason he played so well in NYC. Playing for the Lakers in L.A. may once again bring out the best in him. He is basically one Kobe injury away from averaging 24/8 like he did after Carmelo's injury. It's not like the Lakers have any other scorer to turn to if Kobe goes down.

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

It's true. Now that he plays in a city where they actually have electricity and show the games on tv again he's going to shine.

And if Kobe goes down, 24/8? More like 30/10/10/10/10

7. King1

King1 Contributing Member

No question he put's up Big O type numbers.

I'd even venture to say Wilt's 100 point game may be in jeopardy

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Lin will also be the first and only player in NBA ever to shoot 80/70/90 FG%, 3P% and FT%.

9. jayland

jayland Member

The problem is Lin's massive $15 million salary this season. No team would take Lin without receiving compensation in return. In fact the Lakers are one of the very few teams willing to take on Lin's massive contract for just a low first round draft pick.

Luckily for us, the massive $3 billion 20 year local TV deal the Lakers signed with Time Warner Sports is dependent on ratings. The more viewers they have, the more the deal pays out to the Lakers. With the number of Chinese and Asians living in Southern California, Lin's deal is a lot better from a profit and loss standpoint to the Lakers than to all the other teams.

10. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

I disagree. I think the only reason the Rockets had a hard time getting rid of Lin was because every single team out there KNEW Morey was desperately trying to unload Lin under a strict deadline (i.e. the Bosh situation). Morey basically made the trade under duress, and teams tried to exploit the situation by squeezing assets out of him.

There's nearly 1.5 billion Chinese people around the world --- roughly 1 out of every 5 people on the planet. Jeremy Lin is the one and only Chinese player in the NBA. And in case you don't already know, basketball happens to be the most popular team sport in China.

Strictly from a dollars perspective, I'm pretty sure Lin has a net positive value to every single team in the NBA despite his $15M salary. And don't forget, his cap number is only $8M, which wouldn't incur as heavy a tax penalty as a $15M cap number normally would.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's say you are right, a bunch of chinese, taiwanese with below average SAT scores watch Lin play cause he's in Southern California, how's that going to help the Lakers not suck?

I was in LA last week, I think people cared more about trying to get Lana Del Rey tickets than Lin. Is Lin more popular than a Roy Choi food truck in LA? Or a Michelle Phan makeup tip?

When the Lakers played in Anaheim , did the kids want to see Lin play a preseason game or watch Mickey and Donald?

I believe the Lakers fans like the Rockets fans watch the game for their team to win and don't give a crap about ratings or how many chinese watched it.

A bunch of Chinese people saw the last Transformers movie and it still sucks.
    Lin is a Michael Bay Transformers movie. A great trailer, but you don't want to watch that movie.

12. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Qitn6FRc0oc?list=RDQitn6FRc0oc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I find if I play this when I read these kinds of posts I really FEEL the type of WARRIOR POET Jeremy is. Overcome, Jer Bear.

13. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Price is a good defender. He can put up 6 or 7 points, and twice during preseason had 10 assists in a game. He can run an offense, though his passes are simple. He's gritty. Doesn't foul as much as Bev. All in all Price is comparable to Bev.

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Yeah, because surely no one watches the playoffs.

15. Neped

Neped Member

He needs to do that manuever more often.

16. jayland

jayland Member

The Lakers already knew they were gonna suck when no top free agent wanted to sign with them over the Summer. However the Lakers still need to try to make money even if they don't win much. Unlike almost all the other NBA teams, the Lakers are the Buss family's main business and source of income. Most other NBA owners are already rich from other business ventures and buy NBA teams as a side business or just for bragging rights.

Last season the Lakers local TV ratings dropped significantly http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...atings-clippers-sportsnet-20140416-story.html and this cost them money on their local TV contract.

This played a factor into why the Lakers handed Kobe a massive extension. Their ratings would drop even further if Kobe was a gone and a lot of fans would tune out. Even though the Lakers would suck, many local TV viewers would still tune in to watch Kobe.

On a smaller scale this also played into why Lakers were willing to take on Lin. Even though the team would suck, there are still many Asians in southern California that would have to watch him on TV.

Also you have remember that most NBA international revenue is shared equally among all 30 NBA teams. So whatever team that Lin plays for won't get an extra from overseas. However NBA teams get to keep all the money from their local TV contracts.

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

maybe, maybe no

or maybe it was MDA

18. Panda23

Panda23 Member

[​IMG]

19. doggoneit

doggoneit Member

This is His message to all LOHs: repel now before it's too late, before you're burned in hell for eternity

I see some already repelling

20. doggoneit

doggoneit Member

Some will still be burned in hell for eternity