1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014-15] Jeremy Lin as a Los Angeles Laker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Razsan

Razsan Member

I think when the comment is "Kobe believes in him" You can read that as even if Scott goes McHale, THE most important Laker has Lin's back. You could see it in the game yesterday. Lin was a good compliment to Kobe in the 4th.

2. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

3. Razsan

Razsan Member

4. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

We're going to see big things from Jeremy Lin this year. With Kobe mentoring him, it's game over.

Bryant's teammate, guard Jeremy Lin, was also asked about the appeal of playing with Bryant, and had nothing but positive things to say.

"I've said it from the very beginning: What I've seen, my personal experience with him, which is the only thing I can speak on, it's been great," Lin said. "From Day 1, from the minute I was traded until now, it's just been constantly him trying to be a leader, being a good leader, a communicator, teaching me, teaching me, teaching me and doing it in a mentorship-type way.

"That's my experience. So I can't speak for anybody else, but it's been great for me."

5. baubo

baubo Member

So you're saying that every time Lin takes a shot, Kobe is there to say, "Atta a boy!" But when he was with the Rockets, Harden would stare at him funny and getting pissed?

You are only furthering my impression that people seem to treat Lin like a special ed kid rather than a grown man who is smarter than over 99% of the people in the world.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Byron Scott liked Jeremy Lin's play but won't commit to him closing out games. Said he did that to rest Ronnie Price. - @MarkG_Medina

-----------------------------

LMFAO, I guess Milk Hair is not the only racist coach treating Line unfairly?

7. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

He's changed up his D to be more aggressive, but also a lot of refs missing foul calls and making them up next play by calling ticky tack or phantom fouls. The one that took him out of game, nothing happened. And IT got T'd up for complaining to the refs about their foul calling.

Should help them. When Swaggy's in 24/7 heat check mode, he can shoot you out of a game but him, Kobe and Lin are the only guys on the roster who can create their own shot. Should stretch the D more and give them better looks.

8. gambingo

gambingo Member

That's some major compliments from Kobe, a guy who's known for not even talking to a fellow teammates if he knows you're a scrub.

9. blueshampoo

blueshampoo Member

Actually it has more to do with Mchale than Harden. Harden would still pass to Lin (even if there was 3 seconds left on clock, or sometimes, a lot of seconds left on clock) but Mchale did more to demolish Lin's confidence & performance than anything. When a coach doesn't believe in your own player, and goes a step farther to put him down, it does wonders to that player's performance. Just because he's smart doesn't mean he's not human as well. Human nature just performs worse if not given a chance / demoralized.

Seriously, people need to stop with treating Harden like a ballhog. We entrust him to play the PG sometimes because he is capable of dishing out nasty dimes. There's nothing wrong w that.

10. Razsan

Razsan Member

You misunderstood my comment.
    McHale tried to change Lin's game. The Rockets best player, Harden was still trying to prove his status as a superstar. James is not a teacher, mentor, leader. He didn't care about what Lin was asked to do.
    With Scott, he knows Lin's strengths and isn't trying to change his game. IF he pulls a McHale, Lin has Kobe, who has NOTHING left to prove on his side. Kobe knows first hand what Jeremy can (and can't) do. It does Kobe no good to have a slasher/facilitator play a different roll.

11. Karolik

Karolik Member

I don't know whats happened to him, maybe he's mellowed out as he aged?

12. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

I just watched my DVR, Lin was really good last night. He was playing really aggressive and attacking D and he was the only other sole player that was creating anything on offense aside from Kobe. He was like the missing gear that makes the machine run when Kobe's not on the floor. And Ed Davis looked like an allstar playing PnR with him. So there's a merit to what Kobe was saying. But let see him keep this up for the whole season.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So the canned excuses are already made if Lin disappoints. Of course.

But I don't think you'll need them, Lin fans. I always thought he was at least good enough to either be a bench/role player on a good team, or be a good starter on a bad team. And this Lakers team needs someone to score and handle the ball. I foresee good stats for Lin this year followed up with a nice contract.

14. hltiki

hltiki Member

He definitely has, but at the same time, we have to see how he would react when the Lakes are losing during the regular season.

15. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Maybe Kobe's starting to embrace the "big brother" role.

16. hltiki

hltiki Member

too early to really say too much, but i think we can all just admit that the smush parker comparisons and smush parker-like predictions came from a place of irrationality propped up by emotions...

also have to say that kobe, even though ball dominant like harden, is at the end of his career with nothing left to prove, thus his role is one that involves mentorship and not just superstar play.

17. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

I get it that Kobe has nothing left to prove, but Kobe is the type to try to prove he is the best player on any court at anytime. That's just the way he is wired.

18. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

who did kobe ever mentor?? Does he even know what that word means?

19. Razsan

Razsan Member

I think that's the point. Kobe is not as brash as he was in days gone by. He sees the end of the road and wants to make the most of it. He knows his team is young and not near championship level. This is a good thing for Lin. Julius Randle, Clarkson and anyone else willing to listen to an all time great.

20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Isn't that what happens to all the other Laker's?

And the Laker's aren't going to do well next year regardless of how well Lin plays or doesn't play. The cupboard is bare....