1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rox wants part of the J. O'Neil sweepstakes!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by suddenimpact, Jun 19, 2003.

Tags:
  1. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Why can't they just say "you walk! we will go after Brand, or PJ and save some money too." If I am the owner of a club, I would not even take Taylor for free. His contract is ridiculous. Even you beg me to take over his contract and ask no player in return, I wouldn't do it.

2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

<i>Why can't they just say "you walk! we will go after Brand, or PJ and save some money too</i>

You could say that, but it's a hollow threat. Even with O'Neil's money off the books, the Pacers wouldn't be able to offer any more that the MCE for a FA.

Brand is a restricted free agent, so the Clippers can match any offer sheet he signs. Brand believes that the Clippers will match any offer he gets, so he's not intending on signing an offer sheet with another team. He will do the same thing that Kandiman did last year. He'll accept the one year tender offer from the Clips, play there one more season and then become an unrestricted FA next year.

As far as PJ Brown, if all Indy can offer is the MCE, then the Pacers would probably have a tough time convincing Brown to sign there when he could get the same deal with the Lakers, Mavs or Spurs.

3. J.Dub

J.Dub Member

Somebody was asking if we got O'Neal and Mob was gone who play the 2? Did anyone watch and see Dinoboli play with the Spurs? In case you didnt know, Nachbar was better than he was in the European league they were in. He didnt get a shot to play this year. The guy is 6'8, bigger than Mobley and has incredible athletic ability!!

Ming 7'6
    O'Neal 7'
    Griffin 6'10
    Nachbar 6'8
    Francis 6'3

Come on! Get this deal done! :eek:

4. redhova

redhova Member

If Houston is trying to get JO do you think its just a two team deal, if so I'm not sure if houston has a chance but if it is a three team deal; (not sure of what team or for what player) maybe this deal would make more sense. :(

5. TaiMaiShu

TaiMaiShu Member

Here is the deal with the J. O'Neil possibilty. Denver and San Antonio will be the two magor spots he can go to straight up no s/t deal neccesary. He goes to Denver he is the man, but further away from a ring. If he goes to Spurs, he is not the man, and will have to play C (Duncan specifically said he has not wanted to play the 5 in the past, not gonna change now). On the flip side he wins the ring for the next five-seven years. He has stated he wants to go, but he still had loyalty to the team. Here comes the part where he gets to go to a contender (a team that beat his with him on it) that can possibly help out his former team without destroying the core. Enter the Rockets, a young team that can help his out. Indy will have no leverage in this trade but since O'neil wants to help his former team the Rocks will comply and help them out. The Rocks give Cat, Rice, MoT for O'neil, Croshere, Mercer. With the Sonics interest in Griffen (offer of lewis for Griffin last year) we can then use Griffen to get us a 2 guard from Seatle. Maybe Griffin, Moochie, 1st pick and Bryce Drew Obligations for Barry and Radmanovic from the Sonics is something to ponder. Possible team:

SF/ Barry
    Barry/ Mercer
    Posey/ Boki/Tmo
    Oneil/ Radmanovic/Choshere
    Ming/Cato

6. SLA

SLA Member

Are you joking?

I wouldn't hesitate or even think about it!

GOD DARn. If they accepted.........the entire city of Houston would be preparing to celebrate for the championship! GOd darn that would be good.

Steve Francis
    James Posey
    Eddie Griffin
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Yao Ming

That's a darn good team. And we still got MOOCHIE, Nachbar, Hawkins, Morris, and company!

Beautiful.

Griffin at 3? I wouldn't do it....at times...I would. But it would be better to have him playing 24 minutes a game backing up Jermaine O'Neal...who would play about 24 minutes at power forward and 12 minutes at center. Yao would play 36 minutes at center. Francis would play 42 minutes at point guard...Posey and Nachbar and Rice and Morris would all still be here.

I'D DO IT!!!!!!!!

7. SLA

SLA Member

Man...if that happened.....SWEETNESS.

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I wish I had brought with me the latest copy of TSN (it's back at mi casa, where I currently ain't), and I don't think their web site posted it, but it mentioned in a Q & A whether or not Indy would want to pony up the money needed for Jermaine O'Neal. So it isn't out of the question to acquire him.

But I'm sure it would take EG, and need to involve many contracts, and we would wind up with Mercer at the 2 and Croshere at the 3.

Money-wise, acquiring Cat and EG would make sense for the Pacers, as long as they had another player at the 4 (Mo? Cato?)

9. Axeman

Axeman Member

Yeah, Robert Horry at the 3 didn't work either... OOPS I forgot, we won two rings with him playing the 3!!!!

10. Band Geek Mobster

Eddie Griffin isn't nearly as quick/explosive as Horry was. OOPS...

11. riggs

riggs Member

Problem is Mario Elie has the about the same IQ as a door knob. Is he not the person who said on the Rockets trip to England that he was surprised to find out they spoke english?

12. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

Mario Elie is not stupid and I doubt he made those comments about the English considereing he spent a major chunk of his career playing basketball overseas (In Italy I think and he speaks Italian).

13. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

14. rocksolid

rocksolid Contributing Member

that's way too much for jermaine. don't like it.

would this clear any cap-room???

15. TheReason

TheReason Member

I don't like the idea of Yao being second... even to JMaine.

16. x_trepidation_x

DA must be hurting for news to suggest O'neal to Houston

17. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Wouldn't Indy have more than MCE to offer PJ? They have only $37.9 Mil committed for next season.

#177 canoner2002, Jun 23, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2003
  18. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

What are you talking about? Cassell won 2 rings in his first 2 years WITH THE ROX!!! We never would have won the championship without him in game 4 of the finals.

19. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Seriously moving. I mean, he almost tackled our PG. I was PISSED!!!