1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Let's talk again when you are sober.

2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Translation: "Be reasonable about my unreasonable post about Charlie Strong."

1 person likes this.
  3. Tuan

Tuan Member

UT is improving but the coaching staff needs a wake up call. I dont understand how game after game, they are so slow to call the plays in. Its unacceptable and should have been corrected by now.

Looking at our talent level we now have now, it be at least 2 years before Strong can turn it around. Unbelievable how bad of a job Mack did recruiting the last few years. There simply isnt any depth, especially on the D-line.

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Serious Question:

At what point in time are posts that are critical about the team not going to be blaming Mack Brown? When is it only Charlie Strong's fault? 2016 season? That would give him 2 partial recruitment cycles and 1 full one.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The team, and by that I mean how the players performed yesterday, looked spectacular. The glaring problem was the astonishing amount of stupid mistakes that occurred. I can somewhat excuse the player mistakes to inexperience, but late playcalls were of particular concern.That kind of stuff you can blame on Strong right now.

It won't stop other people, but barring something catastrophic, I'm not making any judgements until after next season. Thats enough time to start seeing results, although I don't expect a national title contender by then.

6. Major

Major Member

Why does it have to a binary thing? Right now, much of the team is Brown's responsibility - all of the players were picked by the previous coach, for example. Each successive year, more will be the new coach and less will be the old coach. In 2 years, if the all the new guys are sucking, that will reflect on Strong. If all of Strong's players are starting and awesome but Brown's players are sucking and creating a lack of depth, that would be Mack's fault. There's no one specific time or circumstance when it suddenly all becomes about Strong and not about Brown.

It's no different than any other leadership transition - whether it be sports or the Presidency or a new CEO or whatever else.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

At least 1 year, probably more.

Again the fact that you think it's pretty much just recruiting cycles shows how you're pretty much approaching this with a plastic bucket on your head with two jagged holes cut out.

Mack was similar to yourself in this perception and the results are now in display.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Strong needs 3 years to clean up mac's mess
    I know people are impatient. Don't want to turn into Michigan or Tennessee.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

AT LEAST two full seasons.

1 person likes this.
  10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Don't expect a logical response. This poster's MO is to rail on coaches that aren't Popovich.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

UT is better than OU by a "pretty good margin"? Is that what you said? What do you base that on?

12. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

So in your eyes, everyone is equal on the recruiting front. Alabama doesn't get better athletes than Iowa St.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Maybe you struggle with reading comprehension, but I said Texas was the batter team Saturday, and nobody who watched that game could argue otherwise.

Texas just did a staggering amount of stupid things to shoot themselves in the foot.

1 person likes this.
  14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I do not think we can blame anyone at this time, it will take a time for UT to go to the top for any coach, but right now, the team does not look like a well-coached team, except the UCLA game.

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

what's hilarious is that Bo Wallace wanted to come play at UT-Austin branch, now he's leading Ole Miss to a top 5 ranking

1 person likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

There was a time where top football players wanted to go to rice
    That time was
    never

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

In your eyes, Alabama, Exhibit A of process and identity over players is good because RECRUITING RIVALS STAR RATINGS

I've posted before why the game has changed and why salivating about the star ratings is so epically completely wrong now as opposed to 10-15 years ago - it's not indicative of any brilliance or perceptoin on my part, I've gotten it trom others. But it's all there if you want to read it.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Garret Gilbert is the perfect example

19. Bob Barker 007

You have the same opinion as "Pancakes" McClain on this subject, if you know what I mean. :p

20. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Why couldn't we have gotten the Offensive Coordinator TCU hired? Night and day from last year.....