1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Name the crappiest job you've had

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cheke64, Oct 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Working at Mia's Table on the weekends just to get a little extra cash. That place was horrible to work at. I wasted two whole weekends of my life.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

To me the word marketing means door to door sales. I had a job offer with vector but a quick Google search said knives salesman.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Pappas seafood anybody? That place is always hiring. Don't sleep on the waiters, they make good money.

4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

+1 for warehouse work backbreaking labor right here

Also worked as a gas station clerk for Diamond Shamrock only job I was ever fired. I kept too much money in the drawer because customers would pump like $5 bucks and come in and demand I break a $100 bill for it stating that's all they had. This was back before the rule of if you were paying cash you had to come inside first. They'd leave me by myself at the 5pm shift when I'd have lines non stop and couldn't refill the beer, ice, etc much less go to the bathroom. On the day I was canned I walked out and kicked the glass door to open it and accidentally shattered it!:grin:

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Office Depot.

Summer job after my first year in college.

1. The managers were shady as ****. The guy that hired me had manboobs and I later learned (after I left the job) that he was fired for harassment. The guy above him got fired because he was stealing money out of the safe at work. I think it was him and another GM at another store that did that.

2. Stupidest tasks. At the end of the day we had to go down every aisle to straighten up the shelves and this included the pen aisle (yes, the crazyass pen aisle where nothing is ever straightened or organized). The pens had to be pulled to the front and organized. Manboobs thought I did a pisspoor job of it so he took down the pens I had meticulously organized and threw them on the ground and made me do it all over again. Mind you this was after the store was closed at 9 and we were already an hour into organizing the store.

3. No OT. Even if we worked OT the managers would go in and correct our time cards so that we didn't get OT. I confronted the manager about this and all he said was that corporate don't like it so he had to do it. This was quite frustrating as this was a summer job and.....

4. Back to School blows. For some reason, the stores had a policy to stay open until MIDNIGHT the weekend before BTS to "service the customers". We didn't leave that hellhole until 3 in the morning. This also included organizing the shelves according to Manboobs' requirements. It's ridiculous considering we didn't have customers after 9:30 but still had to keep ourselves awake in case some idiot parent forgot to buy their kids that 12 x 18 construction paper packet and HAD to have it at 9:53 at night.

It's not as ****ty as some of what y'all have gone through but everything about office depot is ridiculous. This was when everyone in the store had to wear blue pinstripe logo'd shirts with black dress pants. I've also worked at Blockbuster in high school and actually enjoyed it moreso than this *****stain of a store.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Harvesting Pumpkins in a field with a group of Mexicans.

I never drank so much water in my entire life. At lunch I literally slept under a tree the whole time.

I finished the whole day, but that was it for me. The next day I was so damn sore I could barely move.

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

and you just thought that being a petrochemical inspector was a truly crappy job.

:p

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

That was sadly one of the better jobs I've had.

9. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Lol yea I wish I could have escaped before we left but man it was horrible. I laugh about it and just can't imagine how those people do that crap for a job.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

LOL... I was at OfficeMax before the merger, but the tasks were similar I am certain. And yes.... sorting pens was mindless drudgery. I preferred stocking shelves than dealing with customers at the register though. Even when it came to heavy items like chairs or printers that were stored on high shelves. Since I was there two hours before the store opened I was usually shelving.

Same was true at Home Depot..stocking shelves, but since the floor sales people were usually goofing off I had to deal with customers until the store closed. Then I was up at the tops of shelves stacking heavy tools. Later they moved me into garden which meant stacking fertilizer, cleansers and other caustic stuff on high shelves and crawling on the floor stacking things below shelves (and every HD has lots of rats and other critters under there).

Fun, fun times...

11. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I worked at Jamba Juice for maybe 9 months. The store had just opened and our manager quit without being replaced somehow. My coworkers were too high on pills they acquired in exchange for free smoothies to do any work.

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I've worked many jobs in my lifetime:

Pizza Delivery (in college) great job by the way, at least it was back in the 80s
    Mechanic
    Live sound engineer
    Studio assistant engineer
    Local crew for concert venues
    Computer technician
    network administrator
    petrochemical inspector/lab technician

Those were all pretty cool jobs, even the inspector one isnt a really bad one in comparison to the ones listed below.

the worst jobs I have ever done:

warehouse job with Metro ( parts warehouse for the bus repair barn)
    delivering 50lb bundles of paper garbage bags for the City of Pasadena out of the back of a tractor trailer in the middle of summer at 15
    installing carpet
    construction

notice a theme? great jobs dont involve back breaking labor (except for the job with Upstage Center doing local crew stuff for Pace Concerts, that was way hard work but the rewards were more than worth it).

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Selling the Kirby vaccum

Drove all the way to f**king Conroe to find out I was selling a vaccum. God I was pissed.

14. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

American Cookie Shop.

Back in my high school days Katy Mills Mall was being built. Sure enough in my senior year 2 buddies an I decided to go look for a jobs there since lots of people were bein hired prior to opening up. We walked around an filled out a few applications. We walk over to American Cookie Shop(right by the theater) n ask for an app for the hell of it. The owner looked at us and said he needs people now to help set up the store blah blah blah. He hired us in the spot. All 3 of us paying us $7.75 an hour. Sure enough we started working an it was fun as hell. Once it was time for the grand opening is when we figured out it was gonna be embarrasing as hell working at a place that sold cookies. We would have to stand out in the aisle with a tray of cookies for people to sample, fkn embarrasing lol. We would have to wash dishes in the back, take trash out and clean counters. Also we had to learn how to bake. My buddies would put pubic hairs in the dough. We would hook up fine ass girls with free cookies that worked in the stores around. We would punch each other in the sack while taking orders from customers. With in a few months the owner started installing cameras and was getting way stricter on us because he was always missing money in the cash register an we would give out free ****. One of my buddie got fired first for refusing to wash dishes. 2 weeks later my buddy and I went in to get our checks and he told my buddy he didnt need him any longer. Looked at me and said I still had a job. My friend was my trasportation so I never went back. The owner kept calling me and wanted me back. BUT FK THAT!!!!

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

LOL

That is just like every other food court job EVER.
    If you guys couldnt handle the basic demeaning crap that is a food service job, I shudder to think of how yall will do with real jobs.

16. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

That was a high school job that I didn't care about and was immature.

One of my friends works overseas and the other one is a New Car manager at a dealership. I been working for the same company for over 8 years in the oil n gas industry. Financially we are all doing pretty good:cool:

17. BIG-Tnguyen

BIG-Tnguyen Member

LOL funny thing is, i was going to apply to work at office depot as my second job. Good thing i didnt. HAHA awesome.

18. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Day laborer in Houston in the summer about 10 years ago. Me and one other worked with a crew and stuck out so bad since we were white and spoke english. We removed trees, relandscaped yards, painted houses and fences, did attic insulation (which was the worst part), every day you felt so drained from being in the heat for so long.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Maintenance mechanic trainee at a packing and gasket plant...

My (primary) job was to maintain and replace seals in the 100+ steam presses that compressed the molds that made the gaskets.

If you've never seen a steam press it is operated by pulling a lever that depresses a large steam assisted piston to compress injected rubber into molds to make the gaskets. The piston could be as small as 6" to as large as 3' across to create gaskets the size of truck tires.

This was 30 years ago and I couldn't find an exact picture, but this is close though with fewer steam hoses:

[​IMG]

Hot steam ran through the hoses and when the seal burst at the base of the piston (circled) I had to replace the seal. With fifty of these side by side in constant operation. I still have braided burn marks...

Needless to say, with 100+ presses operating, you went outside in Houston summer heat to cool off. Salt tablets were gobbled like sweet tarts and I went home covered in grease daily.

It was great money for a 19 year old but it convinced me that college was the way to go.

20. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Cashier and stocker at Dollar General. You get the worst kind of people in there. I hate to just call people trash but they were. I got promoted to shift lead after a week I think and then after a few more weeks of dealing with horrible customers and also fellow employees I quit.