1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Talking Trade???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hrce11, Jun 19, 2003.

1. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I never said anything about Mobley.

I said that it's far-fetched to think Arenas is anything close to being a true PG. He is LESS of a PG than Francis is. And that is saying something.

2. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

Actually you did write off Ginobili.

I'll take clutch play from a "overhyped" player anytime.

Overhyped yet he seemed to be able to make a play when needed in this playoffs. Just about every 4th quarter in the postseason he made a timely steal and that was when he wasn't pulling down a key offensive board or knocking down a big shot.

No one said that. Of course the Spurs don't need him to jack up 20 shots a game.

3. verse

verse Contributing Member

MrSpur:

i'd like to congratulate you on your first nba title. good job, great season. :)

4. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

I really want TJ Ford. Trade Cuttino/EG/Juaquin Hawkins for Eddie Jones/Brian Grant/#5 pick.... sounds good to me.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What about the other 15 mil it would take to make that deal?

6. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Sorry Heypee, you did dog Ginobili pretty hard after just a couple of games. You can call your "scouting report"what you want , but I think most would take your comments as "He REALLY sucks hard...and everyone thought we was so great!" Hell, just think if he was a rocket and you posted your scouting analysis, you'd be flamed non-stop.

:D

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

This is one of the most lopsided trades I have ever seen. :eek:

8. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

loom good for the rockets :D

9. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

opps ( loom ) :p look I mean . Time to go home

10. LFE171

LFE171 Member

found this article off espn's knicks page.
    Ford in Knicks' driving range?

Ford
    Several league sources told the June 20 New York Daily News that the Knicks are trying to move up in the draft to select Texas guard T.J. Ford. One possibility has New York, owners of the ninth pick in the first round, swapping with the Heat, who draft at No. 5. The Knicks already have three point guards under contract for next season, but can dissolve Charlie Ward's deal (about $2 million) starting July 1, according to the Daily News. Ward is scheduled to earn $6 million next year.

so miami may deal with them, and we can deal with new york. maybe a three way trade?

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

no i didn't. I wrote of Rigadeau after one game. You guys are confusing things.

I placed a ceiling on Ginobili, and wrote him off as a ROY, perennial All-Star.

I never called him a bust. You don't have it right. I said he will never have a chance in hell at ROY, and he didn't, nor will he ever First, Second or Third Team all NBA at shooting guard.

You guys overhyped him...just admit it.

Leading into the season, he was hyped as a ROY. That was foolish. Even Caron Butler showed up as better. The only ROY in the last ?what? 20 yrs that he could have beat was Mike Miller. So, even that is arguable, and where is Mike Miller now. Gino is good, very good, but he is only a complementary player who needs the league's MVP to get this hype.

Hilario is clearly the better South American prospect.

get off it.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

dude, that was my Rigadeau post, not my Ginobili post. Go back and read it. You guys are suffering from stereotyping all foreign players the same.

I never called Ginobili a bust.

never!

You are wrong!

13. Mook

Mook New Member

Mobely and Taylor for Sprewell... We could use a little toughness in the lineup, although we still need to address the lack of a front-court enforcer...

14. BigMo04

BigMo04 Member

Why don't we trade Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato to the Raptors for Voshon Lenard and the 4th pick. We could then use the pick on Chris Bosh, who has been projected to become a KG.

Outlook on team

C-Yao Ming
    PG-Steve Francis
    SG-Voshon Lenard
    SF-James Posey
    PF-Chris Bosh

15. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

<i>Why don't we trade Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato to the Raptors for Voshon Lenard and the 4th pick</i>

Because that deal doesn't even come remotely close to working under the salary cap. Since we're over the cap the salaries on each side of the deal have to be within 15% of each other. Mobley and Taylor make about $12M between them. Lenard makes the NBA minumum ($800K) and the draft pick counts zero dollars in a trade. So, what you're proposing is that we give up $12M in salary and take back less than $1M. That only works if Toronto has about $10M in cap space, but they don't.

16. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

for real, miami better at least throw in caron butler.

and i hope aelliott didn't read that post, his all-things-CBA-related knowing head may have exploded.

17. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Awww, come on. Can't we have an All-Star SF too?

18. nolan

nolan Member

TJ Ford will be a great basketball player, and it will have nothing to do with his shooting ability.

TJ is a quarterback, a floor general, he doesn't need to be able to consistently make shots because he will be consistently distributing the ball to other players to make shots. Quarterbacks don't run the ball into the end zone on a majority of the plays (not even super-mobile Mike Vick) They pass it, hand it, or shovel it to other players who score the touchdown, the qb ASSISTS them if you will.

Those of you complaining about his lack of shots, must have forgotten about all the other players we have on this team ready and willing to shoot one up from anywhere! TJ is exactly what we need to counter that, the guy is an UNSELFISH team player... exactly what the doctor ordered for the Rockets.

The man has amazing court vision and amazing hops! Granted some of you think TJ won't be great b/c he is not in the top 3, but Lebron has been hyped like their is no tomorrow so he MUST go 1st, a euro player MUST go in the top 3 (and there is a good one this year), and Mello won the national championship. If TJ goes in the top 5-6 I say he is in very good company!

TJ is very natural, and without the pressure of having to make the big shot or having to be THE GUY on his team, he can develop very well. (I thought about the Eddie Griffin argument to forementioned statement before I typed it, but EG just doesn't have the atitude to play PF. EG just seems so shy on the court, very little attitude/personality/confidence. Tim Duncan at least has the confidence (and GAME). TJ is a very exciting, confident, player w/ a Scotty Brooks type HUSTLE [had to give Scotty Brooks some love here]

TJ can only make the guys around him better. Yao will benefit, Stevie would benefit, JVG would benefit, and us fans would have fun watching him!

As for Les Alexander? I really don't think it would hurt ticket sales to bring in a Longhorn to play for Houston. There is a strong Longhorn contingency in Houston, and they WILL come to watch their guy play, plus TJ is a hometown boy... it can only HELP ticket sales. Better than a Spreewell, Allan Houston, or any other such trade would do.

Lastly, I think most everyone overlooked the FACT that an AGGIE and a SOONER gave TJ love here. It must have been severely PAINFUL! for these guys to show Ford love, but they did b/c they were obviously impressed by the guys game, attitude, and class.

What the Rockets need are QUALITY ROLE PLAYERS, not superstars... TJ at the least will give us a quality role player.

19. nolan

nolan Member

if we trade with toronto for the 4th pick we have to try to get Antionio Davis or jerome williams and Rafer Alston in the deal...

if we trade with Miami for the 5th we need to try to get Brain Grant or Eddie Jones... if we get Eddie we should try to move him somewhere else... maybe for a quality SF or PF, where ever we are thin after the trade. maybe bring in a Ron Artest who would do great on Van Gundy's defensive scheme.

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

<i>and i hope aelliott didn't read that post, his all-things-CBA-related knowing head may have exploded.</i>

KABOOM ... Too late.