1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Legend of Korra

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Marteen, Apr 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'm ready for them to go even darker this season. I'm hoping Korra has a messed up psyche / view of the world now, and that gets fleshed out. Obviously, I want everything resolved and everything hunky-dory by the end of the series, but just exploring even-darker tones would appeal. Don't think Nick would go for that though.

Well, making A:TLA into a live-action movie was worth a shot, and look what happened.

Regardless, if an "Avatar without original creators" were to happen, I would at least hope that ideas get bounced off Bryan and Mike. A bit like GoT and GRRM, even though GoT the show is fairly close to GoT the books. (iirc - waiting to binge on season 4).

I wouldn't say it doesn't compare at all, but I would say LoK isn't quite on A:TLA's level just yet. But it's darn close.

A:TLA was special for me, because it was at a time where I really enjoyed cartoons. I still watch anime and cartoons whenever I feel like it now, but back then, the obsession was real lol.

2. jbasket

jbasket Member

I remember seeing an interview on the terrible airbender movie that was made, and it was the studio was the problem: they hadn't done their homework on the series. I can't seem to find it. Here, the studio and producers won't be the problem. They will have a good idea, and it is definitely worth a shot.

If it doesn't pan out? Won't be a loss, comparing as if nothing was created. There will still be two great series.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I for one have long thought that a live-action Legend of Korra film (trilogy???) could happen. You don't have to deal with so many main characters being children and thus subject to child labor laws (also crappier actors, generally).

The only problem is a huge one: Nickelodeon Studios. The only large-scale live-actions films they've ever done are The Last Airbender and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. That leads me to believe that if they're involved in any way other than simply lending a name, the result will suck. So I hope Paramount Pictures (owner of Nick Movies) can step in and take any real creative control away from them and give it to a capable director.

I'm sure there's some young, muscular, dark skinned female actress out there who could take the role of Korra. Being a martial arts master isn't necessary - just athletic and a good actor. If Uma Thurman can be trained into a believable fighter, so can many others.

With that said... I don't think it will happen. I think Bryan and Mike will have gotten all the Avatar out of their systems once Korra is done.

Though, a series of third-person RPG video games where you could create and build up your own Avatar would be pretty sweet (think: Fable).

#203 Haymitch, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Not really a spoiler cuz it's just random speculation, but just in case I spoilered it:

I think it's safe to say that Kuvira (voiced by Zelda Williams) will play an important role in season 4. Villain, maybe? Who knows. But it sure was bizarre how they introduced her then she did nothing else.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TQS4SdDs9rY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Although this is specifically a Legend of Korra thread, I couldn't think of a better place to post it. The Nostalgia Critic recently did a review of the Worst 11 episodes of Avatar: The Last Airbender, followed by a part 2 review of the Best 11 episodes. There's an AWESOME cameo at the end of Part 1 that carries into part 2 and the whole thing is just incredible for any ATLA fan. Enjoy:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/y2hTu2EjTgI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1FCNebbo81s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NCEFMY4TWGw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Put it into my veins :eek::eek:

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

- New Airbender garb
    - Metalbenders = new villain?
    - Dat Asami comeback
    - Korra with new hair
    - Dat music in the trailer

I'M SO HYPE

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

Oh, also, freakin' TOPH! I can't wait. 10/3 can't get here fast enough.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Dat 480p doe...

You had to know Toph would show up at some point, but I am very happy to see it confirmed. Since this is looking like the last season of the Avatar universe, might as well tie them together when it all ends.

Very much looking forward to it.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think Nick has a higher quality version on their site lol.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Three years later!? I am I the only one who loves timeskips?

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think a skip was necessary. It wouldn't be as fun to watch Korra struggle in a wheelchair, if B4 picked up days after B3.

Also, I don't think anyone wants to mess with Korra / the new Air Nomads right now. Jinora is gonna open up a can, if you do.

13. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Book 4 episode 1 of Korra is up on Nick.com!

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Awesome episode.

15. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Episode went by way too quickly. I need more

16. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gaaah... Being at work really sucks today. First, the weather is great outside, now this.

17. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Just watched it - it was all right. Felt a bit superficial to me, but probably to be expected since it's just the first episode.

18. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Pretty good episode, but I could feel the loss of the usual 2 episode premiere format. Would have been perfect with the first half establishing Kuvira as a threat and the whereabouts of everyone, then the 2nd half being Korra-centric, and was probably originally intended to be aired that way.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I love me some Korra, but that episode wasn't anything to write home about. No doubt it will get better but a big shrug from me.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

Pacing was great. Sets up / puts into perspective:

- The Air Nomads and how far they've come
    - The state of the world
    - What Mako / Bolin / Asami / MANLY MEELO / other pertinent characters have been up to
    - Jerkface new prince
    - Kuvira

And to me, the most important part was that it only took 20 seconds or so to show that Korra is considerably weaker now than she was before. Either due to the Hg poisoning or to her own psyche - she seemed pretty cantankerous with her response of "I wouldn't know" to end the show.

This episode showed that the creators could essentially make an episode that featured the main character for about 2 minutes, work. B-characters like Kai and Opal got most of the screen time, and the episode didn't feel like filler, which is refreshing.