1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Restaurant in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Oct 2, 2014.

1. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

I got to go to Oxheart with the wife for an anniversary. I really liked it. It seems like they really care for their preparations of their dishes. The wait staff were all really friendly and gave us a solid amount of attention. Even so far as to tell us the prep process of a dish that both of us were really liked.

2. Buck Turgidson

Damn, yall are making me hungry and jealous. If only I needed to come to town and meet with more lawyers.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Name it, I've been there. Not bragging but I take clients where they wanna go. I'm a HUGE Tex Mex fan though, gotta have it like 3 times a week. Nothing compares to El Tiempo Tex Mex wise. When I travel it's the first place I hit up when arriving home. Bored of the fancy and over rated 5 course priced meals that take forever to end... just bring me out a big plate of Fajitas and I'm good.

4. Nook

Nook Member

This.

Have been to most high end restaurants in Houston and probably almost all of them in Chicago. They are good every once in awhile but not every day. Had to go to most of them for work for years and after awhile it became quite boring.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's it, I'm not calling you when I'm in Austin next weekend.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I can help you with that.

7. MadMax

I feel that way about Lupe Tortilla's fajitas.

Eat at nice restaurants during the week for work constantly entertaining clients and referral sources. But on the weekend, it's all about Tex Mex.

8. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

Where would you guys say is the best Tex Mex? I've tried El Tiempo and wasn't 100% sold- maybe I got the wrong thing?

FYI, I judge Tex-Mex on the flavor of the meat and the refried beans.

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

This.

Different strokes for different folks, but I am not keen on the fancy five star experience. I've been to Tony's and Provisions in Houston and while the food was great (Tony's especially), I just prefer a more laid back place.

Just had Laurenzo's for the first time recently and it was amazing and a very chill atmosphere. El Tiempo and the original Ninfa's are up there for me too.

10. MadMax

I don't LOVE El Tiempo either. I like it. But with fajitas, I far prefer Lupe's.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Chicken or beef? I like the chicken at Lupe's, but El Tiempo everyday for beef.

12. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Excluding the one-off family-owned places tucked away in some suburban strip mall (some of which are gems, I'm sure), this is my definitive tex mex ranking taking into account 3 equally-weighted categories (fajita quality, margarita quality, non-fajita food quality)

1. El Tiempo
    2. Ninfas
    3. Pappasitos
    4. Teotihuacan
    5. La Mexicana
    6. Lupe (Kind of a 1-trick pony to me - fajitas are good, everything else...meh)

13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

We have a Lupe's in Austin now and there's one Pappasitos but I really wish we had an El Tiempo. Those beef filet fajitas are awesome!!! (Any recommendations on fajitas on par with Lupe or El Tiempo in Austin is appreciated)

I need one of those Fajita hot coal Server box things they have for the house.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Can't believe Pappas Bros Steakhouse hasn't been mentioned.

Best steak in the city.

15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

in my opinion el tiempo is extremely overrated, which isn't to say i don't like it but only that it's nowhere near my favorite texmex.

i still haven't found beef fajitas better than little pappasitos - the cut of the meat, the tenderness, the flavor, the quality of the tortillas - all great. teotihuacan is also fan-freakin-tastic. irma's downtown and ninfas on nav are also better than el tiempo imo.

more upscale you can't go wrong with provisions (never been to pass), uchi, and roost. also just went to coltivare for the first time this week and loved it. new place called pax americana on montrose is really cool - food can be a little hit or miss but it's a fun spot and some of the dishes are great.

16. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I don't care what y'all say, but in terms of fajita taste, Chuy's is pretty good.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Woof. Most overrated place I've ever been.

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

LOL... this thread went from best restaurant in Houston to Chuys pretty quickly.

19. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

You rang?

Seems like there's a bunch of attorneys on the BBS.

20. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I'll vouch for Pass and Provisions. Their cocktails were fantastic and went well with their food, which was great, as well.