1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight: "A lot of things were probably swept under the rug because we were winning"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Oct 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Everything sounds so good in the media. :grin:

I gotta play better defense!

We gotta hold each other accountable!

blah blah blah

"A lot of things were probably swept under the rug because we were winning"

You're expected to win & will win again this year so things will be different this time because...?

Because I said it will so it will!

:grin:

2. Mashing

Mashing Member

It's unproven. We don't know what we have with the bench. I can't call it awful because I honestly don't know how it will turn out.

3. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Agree 100% with this. If Dwight is going to play the Leader role, he's gonna need to take on himself to hold his teammates accountable, including himself. Based on historical observations, McHale likely wont.

I'm really curious to see how Harden does on the defensive side after being heavily riticized, but then playing under Coach K, and knowing that this team could have advanced much further had they played better defensively.

4. tr3yzle

tr3yzle Member

He knows that it would take a pretty big bus to run over Asik and Jeremy Lin's head. The Lin farewell tour begins with a loss to the Rockets.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Because Kevin McHale aka Big Disciplinarian will put any player in a timeout if they don't hop to it!

McHale is the NBA coach equivalent of Donald Sutherland's college professor in "Animal House" (minus the weed, I guess):

bell rings, young people surge toward doors

"Now that does not absolve you from your responsibilities. I'm still waiting for papers from some of you." (still being ignored) "I'm not kidding....Hey, this is my job."

1 person likes this.
  6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

is a shame the media just continues to run with immature dwight as their story. Just pure laziness and pushing a narrative.

1 person likes this.
  7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Like Harden...it's good to hear things like this, but all I care about is whether we see it in the games.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

I think Dwight says this in every training camp. So take it with a grain of salt.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I love how he is taking responsibility. He has matured and deserves a ring at H-Town

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Good for Dwight to acknowledge this. But will Harden's rug match his drapes?

11. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Talk is just talk... Having said that:
    Disgruntled Chandler, Lin & Omer leaving in itself is going to be great for this team in terms of chemistry, accountability and development.

Chandler was the longest tenured and most familiar with Coach last year; he likely took on a lot of responsibility and and authority for keeping people accountable. But when he himself had an agenda of getting the best offensive stats possible with minimal defense, I'm sure it hindered team accountability, growth and progress.

I'm glad the stars are now the responsible ones, along with Pat. I would look to Patrick to be our new glue-guy: I much prefer a grateful and hungry player for that role, than the discontent Parsons we had last year. The leadership role will be shared among fewer people this year - great for our stars to lead a young & inexperienced group by example: automatically keeping themselves accountable. I hope!

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Haha.

13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Wow. Big words. Accountability this year needs to be there. Dwight seems to have really grown up and I for one appreciate the leader he seems to have become. Let's hope Harden and the rest of the team follows suit.

This team has enough talent to make a deep run, championship run I'm not sure. The mindset and the way they approach the the game on a day to day basis will be very important in order for this team to have success.

14. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Lets see what they look like on the court first, before we pass judgement.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Accountability got reflected like a solar beam on this team last year. Everyone has a mirror directing it randomly. Morey to Mchale to Lin and vice versa.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Well I certainly hope that's true. The point still remains, who will hold them accountable for their lack of accountability?

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Peer pressure and themselves..if the team is on the same page, especially the vets, then the young guys better fall in or they'll stick out...

#37 RV6, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's talking about Jeremy Lin also.

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

well said! I gotta hand it to Dwight... I figured him to be a lazy two faced prima donna after he whole Stan Van Gundy thing... glad to see him prove me wrong... :)

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Are you just saying this, or should we read into it?