1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014] Should Morey be fired?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Sep 19, 2014.

?

Should Morey be fired?

Poll closed Sep 26, 2014.
  1. Yes

57 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. No

352 vote(s)
    86.1%
  1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I always wonder who you and some others talk about when you mention followers. But I do not see anybody say that Morey didn't make mistakes. Because he has made mistakes. The biggest mistake he has made IMHO is keeping Mchale. What I am saying is that the pros are more important than the cons.

There are 2 things I dislike:
    1: The poster who only look at the wins, and not at the situation, IMHO that is the lazy mans argument. There are to many factors that play a part in the wins in a season for it to judge a GM only on that. Because if we only lok at the wins people could argue that Mchale is doing a good job (which most of us agree is not the case).

2: Focussing only on his mistakes and ignoring that every GM makes mistakes. And ignoring all the good things he has done. No GM is perfect. So it is really difficult to have a discussion about Morey since people stay so vague.

Therefore I have been asking all the anti morey people a couple of questions to stay focussed and so we van get an real discussion.
    1: Mention 10 GMs that you believe are better than Morey (which should be easy since he is only average, so there must be atleast 15 gms better than him)
    2: Mention 3 available GMs that we can hire if we fire Morey that are better than him
    3: Which specific 'Basic fundamentals' are overlooked by Morey?
    4: What are all the mistakes Morey made that the pro morey crowd is overlooking?

These first 2 questions are never answered by the anti Morey posters

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Results are all that matter!!

Adelman .588
    McHale .578
    Tomjanovich .559

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Playoff results too pls!

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Unfortunately this is not how it works.

If that were the case, Spurs would have come nowhere close to winning the Championship last season.

There is more to winning than just accumulating the best players and it starts with having a competent head coach not the clueless joke that is McHale that Morey hired to begin with and then foolishly did not fire.

5. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Can't fault Mchale for not having Hakeem.

6. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Being a good GM doesn't always correlate to having the best team. Cleveland has been one of the worst run teams in the league and they just lucked into Lebron and Kevin Love primarily based on the fact that Lebron grew up in the area. That and getting lucky enough to get so many #1 over all picks in the last 4 years due to how terrible they have been. Does anyone actually believe that their GM would have had any chance in the world of pulling off the same deal for any other team? Yet they will be one of the favorites to win it all this year so he must be a great GM...

Morey isn't perfect, but some people want to point to "results" as if some other GM would have us with multiple championships in the same time span. It's been a rebuilding process for most of Morey's tenure due to Yao and McGrady's health. Considering that the rebuilding has happened without tanking it's pretty remarkable. Every season is judged on it's own merits, and any season could result in something that warrants a different GM taking over. Everyone was disappointed with how last season ended. But there has to be a clear cut reason to expect something significantly better from that new GM.

The unrealistic expectation that the critics have is that their unnamed mystery replacement GM is going to do everything Morey did right plus fix all his mistakes.

7. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

If you think Morey's math tools are one dimensional then you don't understand advanced analytics. Morey has stated time and time again that it is just another tool in his arsenal along with traditional scouting methods. The fact that people like you continue to say that math is the only tool he uses just shows your bias and agenda. You only believe what you want to believe and what fits your agenda.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Morey has also stated that coaching doesn't matter. That's one of most crucial building blocks of a foundation. How do you about defending that? My agenda is that people should know the truth. Evaluate everything and do independent thinking. I clearly said he shouldn't be fired so I do comprehend something good. But you can't recognize a single ****ing flaw

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Spurs players continue to be criminally underrated just because their stats are depressed by lower minutes.

The Spurs are very, very talented. The Heat were extremely talented. Both teams were in the last 2 finals. Talent doesn't mean everything, but it means more than anything else.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Again using things Morey never said as a knock against him.

He said coaching matters, it's just his belief that talent matters more. Scott Brooks getting to the Finals with a loaded OKC team being a prime example.

11. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Thank you. What I always find annoying about these arguments is this idea that everything is static and once something has failed to live up to expectations then the only solution is to throw it away and start over. This is a process. You know what the Spurs have as an advantage more than anything? Continuity. The years when they got eliminated in the first round they didn't panic and fire Pop and trade Duncan. They went back to the drawing board and got better.

For better or worse McHale and Moree turned this team around from perennial 9th seed to 50 game winners in the Western Conference. That is not an easy task. This team (including McHale) still has the potential.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

Talent can only get you so far. No team without a proper coach can win the ring. OKC being a prime example of a talented team but with a mediocre coach (although Brooks is much better than McHale). So are you also going to tell me now that Dirk and a bunch of close to washed up players had more talent than that Heat team when they beat them? NO.

Mavs beat the Heat not because of superior talent but because of a far superior coach who had the right game plane to take away from the strengths of the superior talented Heat roster.

You guys keep drinking the Morey kool aid that it is all about talent when the bigger issue is the coaching or lack thereof. Rockets have the talent. You cannot ask for more than 2 of the best players in the world at their respective position.

What the Rockets don't have is a good coach to put all that talent to good use and devise a game plan. And that is purely on Morey for not firing McHale who is possibly the worst coach in the NBA.

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

And what you keep missing is that these extremely talented teams keep showing up in the finals. Just because they don't win every time doesn't mean that they can't win and that the coach is the problem.

That same heat team won twice. Once against the best coach. You want to assign the difference to coaching when it's not always that simple. How much of the spurs beating the heat this year was a difference in coaching? How much of it was just the heat players not playing to their normal potential and the spurs team playing better than their usual?

The best team, even with the best coach, doesn't always win and when that happens it's not 100% because of coaching. Sometimes shots don't fall, sometimes refs make bad calls, sometimes shots that don't usually fall go in.

I don't think McHale is a good coach. Period. But I don't believe McHale was the biggest reason we lost to Portland. I don't think he was the 2nd or 3rd biggest reason we lost either.

14. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

You can apply that luck logic to Daryl Morey getting Harden too. It works both ways. The point is we're past that stage now. If we're not atleast contending for a championship then we're going backwards. The stakes are much higher. You're confused at what stage we are at as a team.

Results are the ONLY thing we can judge lol. The excuse making has reached ridiculous levels. This whole "well, Morey did rebuild without tanking" rebuttal expired a few years ago. Getting two star caliber players is a STEP in the right direction. But it means nothing until those stars actually get out the 1st round (common sense). The GM's job is too surround those stars with the right pieces that best compliment their abilities. Morey did NOT do that by reupping Mchale, and ignoring our hole defensively when Sampson left. What he DID DO is sign a bunch of cheap talent so he can go star chasing again next offseason. My question is what about THIS SEASON? What happens when we lose another 1st round playoff series next year? I bet you money you'll be sitting here next year talking about "it's not Morey's fault Mchale's a terrible coach", "it's only been 2 years, give Morey time to get us a 3rd star", "guys relax, now we can go after KD....bla,bla,bla". It will never stop with you guys

He did say that. Stop backtracking. He basically said coaching isn't really a big deal, which is probably why he chose NOT to upgrade coaches this offseason. If you know your head coach sucks, why wouldn't you upgrade? I thought we were building a contender? Guess not. Maybe next year:rolleyes:

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Valuing a coaches impact less than others does not equate to believing they mean nothing.

16. FTW Rockets FTW

So please tell me what in your opinion are the top 3 reasons we lost to Portland.

Definitely not talent since we had much more talent than the Blazers top to bottom. We had the the 2 best players at their positions who are top 7-8 players in the NBA. One was all NBA first team, other was ALL NBA 2nd team. We had a PG who was all NBA 2nd team defense. We had a much deeper bench than Portland.

And pointing to shots falling or not and refs making calls is a poor man's excuse. Over a 7 game series those things even out.

So again, I'd like to hear your top 3 reasons for us being booted by the Blazers despite having Home court since you clearly ruled coaching out as a reason.

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

How did Hardens shot even out through the series?

How did the 2 blown calls that were later deemed worthy for the league to come out and say they were wrong even out?

Who on our team played so far out of their mind like LMA did? I don't remember that evening out.

Why do the spurs ever lose a game when they have one of the best coaches the league has ever seen?

Bottom line is teams lose for reasons outside of coaching all the time. Saying that bad calls and shots falling or not falling isn't a legit excuse is just nonsense.

Not saying this happened in the series, but when a guy heaves a shot from half court at the buzzer to win the game, is that coaching or shots falling?

Again, I don't think McHale is a brilliant basketball mind. I just don't blame him for the shortcoming of our best player. I don't blame him for bad calls. Although plenty people like to do so, I don't blame him for LMA going bonkers on us. I hear the argument of double teaming, but who is to say that they don't just start raining 3s on us instead of LMAs contested long range 2s? In actuality LMA eventually did cool off without doubling.

I have said before I don't necessarily agree with bringing McHale back this season, but I can come up with legit reasons why we did. My feeling is the organization values the continuity and familiarity with McHale and feels there is a chance keeping him is better than bringing in a new guy who may or may not produce more wins for the team. I think the organization feels the same way as I do about that Portland series, in that a lot of things went wrong for us and right for them that isn't sustainable in the long run.

18. FTW Rockets FTW

19. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Lol. Scott Brooks has been to the nba finals. Mike brown has been to the finals. Avery Johnson has been to the finals. Spoelstra has won an nba championship.

All within the last 10 years.

Talent only gets you so far though. :rolleyes:

20. FTW Rockets FTW

And yet an inferior Mavs beat the Heat to win it all. Likewise a less talented Spurs beat the Heat. All within the last 4 years.

Yes coaching doesn't matter at all ;)